Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus' Favorite Game Bracket: Round 1 (Part 4 of 8) Video Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, May 1, 2020.

1. Shrek May 1, 2020
    (Last edited: May 5, 2020)
    Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

you can find the bracket, results of previous rounds, general gist, rules, and how to participate here!

voting for part four of round one ended Saturday, May 2 at 11:59 PM EST!

for each round, to start, please just post your selections for each of the eight matchups in a list form for easy tabulation.

after that, state your cases for games you are particularly in favor of or particularly against!

the fourth round of matchups are as follows:

match 25
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild [seed 5]
    vs
    Dragon Age Inquisition

match 26
    Bioshock Infinite [60]
    vs
    Fallout 3 [69]

match 27
    Tony Hawk's Underground [28]
    vs
    Guitar Hero [101]

match 28
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas [37]
    vs
    Okami [92]

match 29
    The Witcher III: Wild Hunt [12]
    vs
    Diablo III [117]

match 30
    Super Mario World [53]
    vs
    Mario Kart Double Dash [76]

match 31
    God of War (2018) [21]
    vs
    Dragon Quest VIII [108]

match 32
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [44]
    vs
    Red Dead Redemption [85]

2. Shrek

i'm running this one until Saturday night. if votes are still coming in later into Saturday, i will extend it to Sunday night.

3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Zelda BotW

I loved Inquisition but come on.

Fallout 3

Infinite is very pretty but also kind of a mediocre corridor shooter.

Tony Hawk’s Underground

In terms of pure skateboarding gameplay, the best TH game. Still plays perfectly. One my favorite games of all time.

Witcher 3

Diablo isn’t my thing.

Mario Kart Double Dash

Not really a better game than Mario World but I love it so much.

Dragon Quest VIII

Red Dead Redemption

The only good Read Dead Redemption. A great game.

Shrek likes this.
  4. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Fallout 3
    Guitar Hero
    Okami
    Diablo III
    Super Mario World
    God of War (2018)
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Easiest round for me, didn’t have to think about these too much.

Shrek likes this.
  5. Shrek May 1, 2020
    (Last edited: May 1, 2020)
    Shrek

N/A
    Guitar Hero
    Okami
    The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
    Mario Kart Double Dash [76]
    God of War (2018)
    N/A

i love Inquisition. it doesn't touch Breath of the Wild in any way.

THUG is great but i prefer the level structure of 3 and 4 to the open world model, allowed for more diversity of scenery and felt more focused. Guitar Hero was the first rhythm game i had fun with and i had a LOT of fun with it. the awful covers of those songs will always live in my brain.

never cared for GTA. i love Okami's take on Zelda, and even more i love it's artstyle. it stood out big time and still holds up.

i cannot fall in love with Witcher III for the life of me, but i have played a good chunk of it and really appreciate a lot about it. the entire map feels curated to provide points of interest around every corner, there's no padding here. side quests all carry their own story instead of being quests for content's sake.

i have a lot of love for Super Mario World. i learned to read at a very young age and the "story" section of the Mario World manual was the first thing i ever read out loud in kindergarten as a presentation of sorts. watching my big sis tackle harder levels and all the secret paths was the first bonding experience i have memory of for us. but it is far from my fav Mario to play in this day and age. Double Dash was the last time Mario Kart felt inspired beyond "this system needs a Mario Kart".

God of War is my favorite game of the generation. i wish i could play it for the first time again, particularly the first two or three hours. so immersive and beautiful. the common criticisms for this game drive me fucking nuts, such as "the little boy who is upset because he lost his mother and is stuck with his distant death lord father as they traverse the whole world by foot and almost get killed by demons at every turn is annoying". the reeled in take on an open world is all killer no filler. exploring is a JOY. it's an achievement.

Colby Searcy and Anthony_ like this.
  6. Shrek

maybe you should learn to

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  7. Shrek

got 'em

8. The Lucky Moose

Thug had levels though, just mostly bigger levels

9. Shrek

am i misremembering games here? like isn't thug the "open world" with the long ass tunnels for loading screens? or is that wasteland

10. The Lucky Moose

That’s Wasteland, THUG still had levels, just slightly bigger than previously.

Shrek likes this.
  11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (5) - This sucks because DA:I is a great game that deserves way more love than it gets, but BotW is, well, BotW.

Fallout 3 (69) - Nice. But also I would rather go back to Fallout 3 any day over Infinite, which I have grown less and less fond of as the years have gone by.

Tony Hawk's Underground (28) - The best skateboarding game of all time probably. Guitar Hero 2 was way better than 1, also.

Okami (92) - San Andreas was a high point for GTA but the sheer creativity on display with Okami gets it the win.

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (12) - Not a fan of The Witcher games at all but I’m not voting for a Blizzard game.

Super Mario World (53) - Fate is cruel sometimes, I suppose.

God of War (2018) (21) - I was so surprised by how much I loved this game after expecting to hate it going in.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (44) - The theme song alone should get this the win.

flask and The Lucky Moose like this.
  12. Shrek

gotcha. still would go with Guitar Hero after looking this one up

13. Anthony_

THUG was seriously the best Tony Hawk game

The Lucky Moose and Oskarr like this.
  14. Shrek

i believe yall but im not about to go replay it haha. 4 was the last one i 4emeber adoring but they were all great through wasteland

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Anthony_

You should, uh, “4emember” to play THUG at some point

Shrek likes this.
  16. Shrek

you made a typo quoting my typo

way to show your whole ass!

Anthony_ and Colby Searcy like this.
  17. GBlades

Trusted

Fallout 3
    Tony Hawk's Underground
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
    Super Mario World
    God of War (2018)
    Red Dead Redemption

18. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I will admit with all possible shame that I completely forgot about BotW when I submitted my list. I accept being blocked by everyone as punishment.

Anthony_ and Colby Searcy like this.
  19. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

BotW
    BioShock Infinite
    Guitar Hero
    NA(never been a fan of GTA though)
    NA
    Super Mario World
    God of War
    Red Dead Redemption

20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Is this the first Guitar Hero? How did that make it over 2 or 3?

Anthony_ likes this.
  21. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

GH1 is by no means the best, but since there’s no other representation in the bracket for that series OR rock band, I’m kind of taking it to represent that whole wave of games.

22. Shrek

same amount of votes, GH3 edged out by MC score

SpyKi likes this.
  23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Not a Dragon Age fan so this is very easy.

Bioshock Infinite - although I really like the world of Fallout I don't really like the games much. I enjoyed the beginning and then got bored. I adore pretty much everything about Bioshock Infinite.

Guitar Hero - Not the best Guitar Hero game but I just love that franchise so much so I guess I'll still vote for this.

Okami - SA is cool but Okami is such a unique and cool game, really love the art style and gameplay.

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Don't really care for either much but there's still a lot about Witcher III I appreciate.

Mario Kart Double Dash - My favourite Mario Kart! Never been the biggest 2D Mario fan honestly, I know that's blasphemy.

God of War (2018) - this game is genuinely incredible. A pretty much perfect reboot/continuation of one of my favourite franchises.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - easy choice, MGS3 is one of the greats.

24. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Breath of the Wild

I don't love BOTW like most but Dragon Age Inquisition was pretty mediocre

Fallout 3

Such a great open world game, and one I have so many fond memories of. Deciding the fate of the town in the beginning was such a crazy choice to make early in that game and I just love Fallout 3 a lot.

Tony Hawk Underground

Guitar Hero 1 is super bad. Like, hitting buttons and they didn't respond on screen bad. But everything that came after was so, so much better and I spent a ton of time playing. THUG is a classic and one of my favorite skateboarding games.

Okami

one of the best Zelda-like games, with one of the most absolutely breathtaking art styles.

Witcher 3

Never have been crazy about Diablo games. Witcher was so immersive and one of the few open world games where I felt like all the side quests really were important to do and had meaning

Mario Kart Double Dash

The best Mario Kart game, hands down.

God of War (2018)

Still blown away with the direction they took this series and how well executed it was.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

MGS 3 is the best Metal Gear and has some of the most incredible boss fights, interesting mechanics, and some of the most touching and heart wrenching scenes in the series.

SpyKi and Anthony_ like this.
  25. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

TLOZ:BOTW
    Bioshock:infinite
    Guitar Hero
    GTA: SA
    The Witcher III
    Super Mario World
    God of War (2018)
    Red Dead Redemption

Some of my favorite games of all time in this bracket (Mario, Red Dead) and some undeniable classics as well.

SpyKi likes this.