Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus' Favorite Game Bracket: Round 1 (Part 3 of 8) Video Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Shrek Apr 28, 2020
    (Last edited: May 5, 2020)
    Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

you can find the bracket, results of previous rounds, general gist, rules, and how to participate here!

voting for part three of round one ended Thursday, April 30 at 11:59 PM EST!

for each round, to start, please just post your selections for each of the eight matchups in a list form for easy tabulation.

after that, state your cases for games you are particularly in favor of or particularly against!

the third round of matchups are as follows:

match 17
    Dark Souls [4]
    vs
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening [125]

match 18
    Metal Gear Solid [61]
    vs
    Dark Souls II [68]

match 19
    Portal [29]
    vs
    Dragon Age Origins [100]

match 20
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [36]
    vs
    Paper Mario [93]

match 21
    Chrono Trigger [13]
    vs
    Crash Team Racing [116]

match 22
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Versions [52]
    vs
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door [77]

match 23
    Halo 2 [20]
    vs
    Fable II [109]

match 24
    Resident Evil 2 Remake [45]
    vs
    Perfect Dark [84]

2. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

NA
    NA
    Portal
    NA
    NA
    Pokémon
    Halo 2
    RE2Re

3. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Was this new or old Link’s Awakening?

4. Shrek

TLoZ: Link's Awakening
    n/a
    Dragon Age Origins
    Paper Mario
    Chrono Trigger
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
    Halo 2
    n/a

i started Dark Souls this weekend and am pretty sure it's not gonna be a hit for me. i'm 100 percent sure i'm not gonna like it more than Link's Awakening, which is an all time favorite.

Dragon Age Origins was one of the best action RPGs of that era and one of the last great Bioware works

Paper Mario filled a big RPG sized hole on the N64, and i've never enjoyed stealth based third person games

don't need to explain Chrono Trigger

Pokemon R/B/Y spawned my favorite series of RPGs of all time. it changed how i invest myself into a game. an exception to my no nostalgia rule. the only reason i wouldn't enjoy playing this today is because i've played these enough for multiple lifetimes.

Halo 2 is one of the best multiplayer games of any genre of all time

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. Shrek

old

but the bones are 95 percent the same across both and the new stuff in the remake is largely inconsequential, i personally consider them to be largely the same game.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  6. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Dark Souls
    Metal Gear Solid
    Portal
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Chrono Trigger
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Halo 2
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

Pokemon vs Thousand Year Door is killer but TYD is the best entry in that series, where I prefer GSC by a lot as far as Pokémon goes. I think I might have voted for new Links Awakening because I love the art style so much and it feels so good to play a modern 2d Zelda. But Dark Souls is such good game design and even if I’ve never beaten it because I’m bad, I appreciate so many things about it. Links awakening is probably my...3rd favorite 2d Zelda.

7. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Dark Souls
    Dark Souls II
    Portal
    Paper Mario
    Chrono Trigger
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Versions
    N/A
    N/A

8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Dark Souls
    Metal Gear Solid
    Dragon Age Origins
    Chrono Trigger
    Fable II
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchises so those two were must votes. Chrono Trigger is an all time great JRPG, and is still an incredible game to play through today. Dragon Age Origins is the best of the Dragon Age series by far. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door is absolutely wonderful and still such an amazing feat they pulled off, and I just wish the series would go back to that.

Fable II was a ton of fun, and improved on the original in every single way. had so much fun with that one. And RE2 Remake is one of the best remakes I've ever played, and I'm still astounded and how well they redid that game

9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

What’s the best way to play Chrono Trigger these days without emulators? Been looking for a good JRPG and I played a little bit of that game a looooong time ago and remember liking it, but would probably love to play through the whole thing now.

10. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Link's Awakening - Probably my favorite game boy game of all time. Was an absolute pleasure to play as a kid and as an adult. It's probably my favorite Zelda game.

Metal Gear

Dragon Age Origins - Played a good part of this game earlier last year and really had a blast with it, felt it got a little monotonous but I just get that way with games sometimes. I'll most likely go back to it at some point and finish it. Great game though.

MGS2 - It's funny my mom sent me a picture of me at my grandma's a few weeks ago and it was me playing MGS2, I couldn't believe how young I was, probably around 13? Unfortunately, that was the last time I played it but I remember the last few scenes of that game blowing me the fuck away storyline wise. I remember the radio transmissions especially really blowing me away. My old ass can't remember what actually happened but it's the earliest time I can recall a games plot and story making me feel like that. I'll go back to it someday I have the collection on my Vita.

Chrono Trigger - It's simply the greatest JRPG ever made, if you have never played it what in the ever-loving fuck are you waiting for. Incredible nostalgia playing it as a kid and the music is some of the greatest ever made.

Pokemon Red - people will do a much better job talking about pokemon than me, but I was around for the initial craze and it was a very cool time to be a kid and own a gameboy

Halo 2 - Mentioned this in the last thread, Halo 2 is the greatest online multiplayer I have ever played. Never touched the campaign (I just can't do FPS campaigns) but I am always randomly inspired to jump on the Master Chief collection to play some Halo 2 maps, @Dirty Sanchez we need to actually do that someday.

N/A for the last one

WOW what a fucking bracket this one is. This is very fun i'm glad we can just do this and have fun with it.

theagentcoma and SpyKi like this.
  11. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

The DS version is definitely the best way if you have a 2ds/3ds hanging around. I'm sure you can find a used version of the game online for cheap!

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Damn now i'm gonna buy the ds version of chrono trigger

theagentcoma likes this.
  13. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Dark Souls (4) - Man, this is tough. Link's Awakening is an all-time classic in all three of its incarnations. It's one of the best 2D Zelda games. But it can't top Dark Souls for me. It's a game that changed not just the way I play video games, it changed the way I feel about video games.

Metal Gear Solid (61) - Dark Souls II is a great game but Metal Gear Solid is gaming canon. Not to mention the incredible story, characters, setpiece moments, and just the pure creativity at play here. 'Nuff said.

Dragon Age Origins (100) - I love the original Portal but Portal 2 is better in every way. Also Dragon Age: Origins was one of the best games of the Ps3/360 generation and one of Bioware's all-time best RPGs.

Paper Mario (3) - Tough call, as MGS2 is maybe my favorite of the MGS games, but Paper Mario has a stronger nostalgia factor going for it.

Chrono Trigger (13) - The Greatest Video Game of All Time.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (77) - Improved on everything the first game did and then some. Gen 1 of Pokemon can't hold a candle even to Gen 2 of Pokemon, let alone this game.

Fable II (109) - I don't really have any strong connection to either of these games so I'm going with the RPG.

Resident Evil 2 Remake (45) - no real comment from me for this one

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Oh damn it's not that cheap haha

15. Anthony_

how did The Thousand Year Door get listed less times than the first Paper Mario lol

16. GBlades

Trusted

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    Metal Gear Solid
    Dragon Age Origins
    Chrono Trigger
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow Versions
    Halo 2
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

This round was actually really tough!

17. GBlades

Trusted

Also, I need Chrono Trigger on the Switch now.

oldjersey likes this.
  18. Anthony_

Both Paper Mario games getting knocked out in the same round is really going to hurt ngl

19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Dark Souls

Love Link's Awakening but always been a bigger fan of 3D Zelda games and Dark Souls is just too good.

Metal Gear Solid

I feel like I appreciate Dark Souls 2 more than most but MGS is truly one of the greats. I first played it like a decade after it came out and it still blew me away.

Portal

Not even close for me, never been a big fan of Dragon Age and I think Portal is pretty much perfect.

Paper Mario is great but I think MGS2 just edges it out.

Chrono Trigger

This one hurts because I love CTR to death. Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece though.

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Pretty close but I have way too much nostalgia and affection for those first Pokemon games.

Halo 2

Best multiplayer game ever.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Not a big Perfect Dark fan and RE2 Remake is fantastic.

oldjersey likes this.
  20. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Thinking I might go for the iOS version of chrono trigger. It’s only $5, seems to be a port of the DS version, and I can probably put up with touch controls for that price lol.

21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

great call, yes it is the same version from what I know.

22. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Oh damn this is the first round that's gonna be hard, RIP Link's Awakening, my sweet prince

23. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Played Metal Gear Solid about 10 years ago and basically had to force myself through. Didnt enjoy it in the least. I also just read the plot summary to see if I was forgetting anything exceptional about it and it seems its just like an over the top action movie? I mean, I dont want to offend anyone who likes it, but also, Metal Gear Solid is a joke game for losers.

flask likes this.
  24. Anthony_

I guess in a way it's fitting for the Chorus community to treat Paper Mario with the same respect Nintendo's shown it for the last 16 years

theagentcoma and Joe4th like this.
  25. flask

Trusted Supporter

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Metal Gear Solid

Portal

Crash Team Racing

Halo 2

Perfect Dark

Not much to say about this round other than MGS is number one all time and I will be voting it every round until it is inevitably eliminated by something stupid like a JRPG.