Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus' Favorite Game Bracket: Round 1 (Part 2 of 8) Video Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Shrek, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Shrek Apr 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 28, 2020)
    Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

you can find the bracket, results of previous rounds, general gist, rules, and how to participate here!

voting for part two of round one ended Monday, April 27 at 11:59 PM EST!

for each round, to start, please just post your selections for each of the eight matchups in a list form for easy tabulation.

after that, state your cases for games you are particularly in favor of or particularly against!

the second round of matchups are as follows:

match 9:
    Goldeneye 007 [seed 8]
    vs
    Towerfall Acension [121]

match 10:
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 [57]
    vs
    Horizon Zero Dawn [72]

match 11:
    Super Mario Sunshine [25]
    vs.
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy [104]

match 12:
    Banjo-Kazooie [40]
    vs
    Super Mario 64 [89]

match 13:
    Resident Evil 4 [9]
    vs
    Super Meat Boy [120]

match 14:
    Super Mario Galaxy [56]
    vs
    NieR: Automata [73]

match 15:
    Castlevania: Synphony of the Night [24]
    vs
    Mario Kart 8 [105]

match 16:
    Metroid Fusion [41]
    vs
    Halo 3 [88]

2. Shrek

Towerfall Ascension
    THPS3
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Super Mario 64
    n/a
    Super Mario Galaxy
    n/a
    Halo 3

Towerfall Ascension is the finest couch competitive game ever crafted. it was clearly designed with fun as priority one, but there is enough skill and timing involved to make big wins unbelievably satisfying. if i had to pick five games to survive and have all the rest ever wiped out of history, Towerfall would be in that list.

i have not played Horizon, but know enough about it to know i wouldn't take it over THPS3. it sounds like a great game for those that like open world checklists, but i am not one of those people.

Mario Sunshine was a new take on a proven formula in a time where 3D Mario was still fresh and they could've released something far less ambitious and no one would've batted an eye

Mario 64 pioneered precise platforming in a 3D space, and many consider Mario's moveset and weightiness to be the best iteration of 3D Mario to this day. it's still fun.

ive never played RE4 or Meat Boy. almost picked RE4 anyways because i resent the trend of hard-for-the-sake-of-it indie platformers Meat Boy popularized but that doesn't feel fair at the end of the day

typically i don't vote in a matchup where i haven't messed with both games, and while im sure NieR is every bit as good as hyped, Mario Galaxy is an incredible game in one of my favorite genres

i haven't played SotN, but i know it spawned many hallmarks of modern Metroidvanias, which has been my favorite flavor of video game since Hollow Knight came out. ive played plenty of MK8, its great fun, but it is just more Mario Kart. not voting on this one.

Halo 3 was the last game that really felt like a huge deal to me, like it was to games then what Marvel movies are theaters are now. it was in the peak of midnight releases. it dominated the entire conversation across all of gaming media in the week of its release. there have been bigger games with bigger launches since, but when Halo 3 came out every person i was even kinda friends with was so stoked. ultimately it didn't capture us as much as endless hours of Halo 2, but its still special to me.

Oskarr and Anthony_ like this.
  3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

4. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

N/A
    N/C
    Super Mario Sunshine
    N/A
    Resident Evil 4
    Nier: Automata
    N/A
    Halo 3

SpyKi likes this.
  5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

TF does N/C mean?

Dirty Sanchez and Colby Searcy like this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

GoldenEye 007
    THPS3
    Jak & Daxter
    Super Mario 64
    N/A
    Super Mario Sunshine
    N/A
    N/A

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Goldeneye

THPS3

Mario Sunshine - fantastic memories with this game, can't wait to see if it's mostly nostalgia that makes me love this game so much or the extremely creative gameplay it came with. I loved squirting water at shit what can I say.

Mario 64 - Tremendous game that also has a tremendous amount of nostalgia with me. I remember my mom getting my a N64 for my bday which was right around the same time as the N64 release date. Mario 64 blew my god damn 8 year old mind. It also was a major trail blazer in the 3d platformer world. Can't wait to play this again on switch as well.

Resident Evil 4 - The only RE game I have ever played. I remember the incredible hype that surrounded this game when it came out, my brother had bought it so I figured I'd give it a try. Great memories but I don't think I would enjoy it now.

Mario Galaxy - A game I did not finish but remember having a blast with. Fuck I can't wait for these Mario re-releases god damn.

Castelvania SOTN - A top 10 game of all time for me, remember getting it when it first came out and me and my brother would fight about having to share playtime. The section where you had to do the same castle upside down blew my mind on first playthrough.

Metroid Fusion - I have so many great memories with the GBA, being able to play a Metroid game on GBA was very exciting. I believe this game also had quest markers which straight up showed you where to go next, big fan of that shit lol.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Still not one of the three best Tony Hawk games, but pretty great regardless. I have absolutely no interest in HZD.

Super Mario Sunshine

Although I have said many times that it is the best 3D Mario game, I don't actually believe that anymore. It's too frustrating at times. However, the atmosphere is unbeatable and because of that it is probably still my favourite 3D Mario game (and therefore by default one of my favorite games of all time).

Super Mario 64

I did not put it on my list because we weren't allowed more than three games per series, but I still think it's one of the best games ever made. Rare's collectathons on the other were never good.

Resident Evil 4

I think both games are great. I put more time in RE4 so I pick that one.

Super Mario Galaxy

I've given NieR: Automata another chance recently and I must say I have been unfair to that game. It's cool. It's not one of the most well designed games of all time however, whereas Super Mario Galaxy absolutely is. I can not wait to see it in HD.

Mario Kart 8

It's not Double Dash, but it's pretty damn close.

Halo 3

I just don't really fuck with Metroid. Halo always had and will always will have amazing multiplayer. Easy choice.

10. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Goldeneye 007
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Super Mario 64
    Resident Evil 4
    NieR: Automata
    Mario Kart 8
    Metroid Fusion

Resident Evil 4 is the best game of all time and that’s all I have to say on the matter.

SpyKi likes this.
  11. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Towerfall
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Jak and Daxter
    Super Mario 64
    RE:4
    Nier:Automata
    This is just cruel. Castlevania
    Metroid: Fusion

SpyKi and oldjersey like this.
  12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

At least we can agree Double Dash is the GOAT.

Been way too long since I've played it :(

13. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

NA
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Castlevania: Synphony of the Night
    Metroid Fusion

Lots of easy picks for me. Sad that Banjo will likely be eliminated first round but thats life I guess.

CarpetElf likes this.
  14. Shrek

very interested to see how the (seeming likely) Mario 64 vs Mario Sunshine goes

15. GBlades

Trusted

Stil gutted for Dragon Quest XI but can't win them all!

Goldeneye 007
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
    Super Mario 64
    Resident Evil 4
    Mario Kart 8
    Halo 3

SpyKi likes this.
  16. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Goldeneye 007
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Super Meat Boy
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mario Kart 8
    Halo 3

Pumped that Towerfall made it but yeah, Goldeneye is too classic. Banjo Kazooie against SM64 is unfair because people are ignorant to its greatness. I accept it will be defeated and that you all are terrible. Jax and Daxter is a classic but Mario Sunshine is the GOAT. I hate resident evil and metroid.

StormAndTheSun likes this.
  17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

match 9:
    Goldeneye 007

Not the biggest fan of either but Goldeneye is a classic for a reason and definitely had a big influence on a lot of games I love.

match 10:
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Horizons great but I just had so much fun with those old Tony Hawk games.

match 11:
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Sunshine's always been my least favourite 3D Mario and I looooove the first Jak and Daxter game, sad it's probably going to lose.

match 12:
    Super Mario 64

Very close, love both but 64 just has the slight edge, feels better to play.

match 13:
    Resident Evil 4

Again, love both but I was obsessed with RE4 when it first came out, fantastic game.

match 14:

As much as I love Galaxy, Nier: Automata is one of the most unique and interesting games I've ever played. Probably in my top 10 of all time at this point. Truly incredible.

match 15:
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Mario Kart 8 is fantastic I just love SOTN more, the vibes, the music, the level design, all wonderful.

match 16:
    Halo 3

Huge step down from Halo 2 in terms of multiplayer but I still had a great time playing through Legendary with friends.

18. SpyKi

Anyone voting for Nier gets a like from me.

Whalejaw, Dirty Sanchez and GBlades like this.
  19. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah I loved Halo 3 multiplayer but 2 is easily my favorite online shooter experience of all time. Miss those days big time.

Dirty Sanchez, CarpetElf and SpyKi like this.
  20. SpyKi

I doubt I'll ever enjoy any multiplayer game as much as Halo 2. Some of the best times of my life playing that online with my friends from school.

Dirty Sanchez and oldjersey like this.
  21. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Goldeneye 007 (8): One of the most important video games of all time just in terms of the fact that it was the first console shooter that proved the genre could truly work outside of PC. And I have no really nostalgia for this game, as I didn't really play it at all back in the day.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (57): Probably the best Tony Hawk game out of the first four. I put the most time into this one out of the first four as well.

Super Mario Sunshine (25): Probably the most underrated mainline Mario game. It deserves so much more love than it gets. Such a fun iteration on the SM64 formula.

Super Mario 64 (89): One of the greatest games of all time. That said, this was a really hard choice. I'm going with SM64 over Banjo because: (1) there would be no Banjo without SM64; and (2) the gameplay in SM64 is so much tighter. That said, Banjo-Kazooie is the more creative game in terms of world design and just pure imagination.

Resident Evil 4 (9): Never finished this game but it is a way more important game than Super Meat Boy in terms of gaming history. It really perfected (at the time) the third-person over-the-shoulder perspective. Plus it really revolutionized the series.

NieR: Automata (73): I enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy a lot but it preferred the sandbox level design of SM64 and Sunshine over the levels in this one. I think Odyssey blows Galaxy and Galaxy 2 out of the water, personally. As for NieR, again, it's another game I never finished but I loved the time I did spend with it and I love what it did for the modern action-RPG genre.

Castlevania: Synphony of the Night (24): No contest for me here. This is also one of the greatest video games ever made. It set the tone for a formula that took the Castlevania franchise in a way better and more fun direction than the previous level-based games. Mario Kart 8 is fun but I kind of can't believe it has a chance of winning here right now. Have people just not played Symphony of the Night or any of the games it spawned?

Metroid Fusion (41): Another no contest. I adore this game. One of the best Metroid games. Halo 3 is fun but come on, it's Metroid Fusion.

SpyKi and oldjersey like this.
  22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Has banjo-kazooie aged well at all? I've never played it

CarpetElf likes this.
  23. Anthony_

Yeah it’s still fun as hell. You can get it remastered on Xbox, it’s probably on GamePass as part of the Rare Replay collection.

24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Oh you're right! I remember seeing it

Anthony_ likes this.
  25. Anthony_

I did a 100% completion replay of it like three years ago and had so much fun, it was like being a kid again.

oldjersey likes this.