Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Book Lists 2017 Book • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Jan 1, 2017.

1. awakeohsleeper Feb 10, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 21, 2017)
    awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah, I've basically just read the first four of the series. I love his style and I like Uhtred the main character so it's an easy win for me. It's also tied into nostalgia as my Grandpa used to buy my dad and brothers the Sharpe series books and then the Saxon series so I always think of him when I read them.

2. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Edit.

Vivatoto likes this.
  3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Just finished Pride & Prejudice. Honestly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. Very impressed with the characterisation and completely absorbed by it. An excellent read - glad to have given it a go.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Updated

Vivatoto likes this.
  5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Just finished my 26th book of the year... Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. It's essentially been on my to read list since Showbread released No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical in 2004. Very glad I've read it even if it took a while to get there. An absorbing read. I have many thoughts swirling around my head.

6. Kellan Mar 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 24, 2017)
    Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

I wanted to set a goal of 52, but I'm off to a very slow start.

1. The Magicians by Lev Grossman (3/18)
    2. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (3/24)
    3. Currently Reading: The Kremlin Conspiracy by Douglas Boyd
    4. Currently Reading: Running with the Demon by Terry Brooks
    5. Currently Reading: The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Colby Searcy, Garrett L. and Vivatoto like this.
  7. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Updated.

awakeohsleeper and Vivatoto like this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I read The Alchemist at the end of last year. Did you enjoy it? Simple but a good story and just what I needed as I read it following a book by Peter Rollins which messed with my head a little.

9. Garrett

I seem to be in the vast minority of people who just didn't get the hype. I know people who dwell on it for weeks after they were finished reading it. Others on their sixth or seventh read. But it was also in the middle of the LOTR read and everything pales for me.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  10. OwainGlyndwr

I am the Aleutian allusion illusion Supporter

How was the audiobook for Mr. Penumbra's? That was probably my favorite book I read last year. Definitely need to give it another read soon, probably in the next month or so.

11. Garrett

It was a lot of fun! I listened to the book while walking in the park on a beautiful day and it was very relaxing and engaging.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  12. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I understand that. Can't beat LOTR. To be honest, think I read it at the perfect moment.

Garrett L. likes this.
  13. Kellan

2. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (3/24)

Second time reading this, Moore is great. Going to start The Magician King by Lev Grossman.

Garrett L. likes this.
  14. Garrett

The Magician King and The Magician's Land are absurdly good.

15. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What about the first one?

16. Garrett

Solidly average, but necessary for the heights the next two achieve.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Kellan

Yup. At the end of the second when Quentin is told he can't stay in Fillory, I felt physical pain. So many emotions.

18. Garrett

Yeah, I cried at the end of both of those books. For vastly different reasons.

19. EarthShifts

Trusted

Glad I found this thread!

Currently reading Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders. Took me a little to get into as it's written like a play and there are a lot of narrators, but I'm really enjoying it. I love pretty much everything he writes.

Vivatoto likes this.
  20. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Just in case you didn't know, there's also a book thread to talk about books. This "Book List" thread is primarily just listing out what books you've read this year.

Book - The Book Thread

21. EarthShifts

Trusted

Thanks! I don't know why I couldn't find that before.

22. OwainGlyndwr

That's awesome. Maybe I'll give it a shot; I've got plenty of Audible credits just waiting to be used.

Sort of relatedly, have you ever read anything by Charles Portis? They're not exactly the same genre or anything, but I feel like they're kind of similar reading experiences and I'm always looking to recommend him to new people.

23. Garrett

I have not! I'll have to look him up. Have a specific book in mind?

24. OwainGlyndwr

My personal favorite is The Dog of the South. It's my second favorite book of all time (right after LOTR). You also can't go wrong with Gringos or Masters of Atlantis, but I think Dog is the best introduction to his stuff. He also wrote True Grit, which you're probably at least aware of, and a book called Norwood that I actually haven't read yet. He's only written those five, so I try to savor my first reads in a weird sort of way.

Anyway, he's probably one of those "love him or hate him" kind of authors, but for my money, he's absolutely fantastic. So yeah, grab a paperback copy of The Dog of the South off Amazon and enjoy!

Garrett L. likes this.
  25. Garrett

I'll make a note to look for him the next time I hit our local used place!

As we share LOTR as a favorite book, I'll throw another "not related at all" but my #2 and say if you haven't read Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "Shadow of the Wind" check it out soooooon.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.