Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bands that should have faded away...

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by TotesAndGoats, Apr 21, 2016.

1. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Inspired by the "bands you love that faded away" thread...

What bands should have stopped before they did? Bonus points for providing a specific last album.

I'll start...

Armor for Sleep. Should have stopped at "What To Do When You Are Dead."
    Open Hand. Should have stopped at "The Dream."

bradsonemanband likes this.
  2. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Lydia should've stopped after Assailants.

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

nope.

4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

this thread will get taken down

5. TotesAndGoats

Bear

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this thread isn't as bad as the "bad opinions" thread or whatever
    Still p bad

fenway89 likes this.
  7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

^^sure it is. but idc about other things other people care about

8. #hipsterquotes

TotesAndGoats likes this.
  9. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

in b4 Nickelback

10. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I'm here to pass judgement on what bands should of failed and when they should of failed.

Let's go.

SpyKi and fenway89 like this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Any band that contained members that used their fame and power to abuse other people.

That's probably the only acceptable answer.

12. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I think bands should stop when they don't feel like being a band anymore

13. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Dang, I really thought a music-centric forum would be able to come up with one or two "this bands first album was great" scenarios.

Guess not.

14. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

It just feels like a weird concept, know what I mean? Saying "This album was great, so this band should have stopped doing what is considered their career and main source of income and also area of artistry I enjoyed a lot"? I dunno.

SpyKi likes this.
  15. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Open Hand most certainly should not have stopped at The Dream! You and Me is fantastic.

I'll go with 3Oh!3 I just can't stand the whole bro thing. But good for them for doing what they like and making a living off of it. On second thought, I agree with above posts, who are we to say anybody should have faded away? People out there... Somewhere still like 3Oh!3. And good for them!

16. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Who am I to say a band should stop?

17. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Maybe I was too literal in my title/original post (especially since my primary focus was to imitate a post that already existed) so let's try this.

"Are there any bands that you only like their first couple of albums, but totally respect that they stayed dedicated to their art and continued making music? What bands/albums?"

As an example. I really, really loved "the dream" by open hand, but haven't been able to get into anything since. For lack of a better word, it feels too experimental in a direction that I just didn't follow.

Second example, Poison the Well are and will always be one my favorite bands, but I can't really listen to anything past "you come before you."

Maybe this will go a little better. Otherwise, I'll ride this train into oblivion.

18. DarkHotline

Not liking the direction a band goes doesn't mean a band should stop. That's childish.

SpyKi likes this.
  19. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

I get what you mean, but I think there's a big difference in that and saying they should've faded away. Even if 99% of people agree a certain artist sucks, if they can still draw 25 people playing in a cafe, then more power to them. They should do it as often as they can.

A better title would've been like "bands who peaked with their debut album" or something to that effect.

20. DarkHotline

Honestly, that's just as bad. It's all just negative opinions.

21. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Considering their next record was leagues better by almost any standard, maybe the purpose of this thread isn't what I think it is.

Although Honey was pretty lame, despite a few gems.

22. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

I don't think so at all. At least not inherently. For example, I love almost all of what The Killers have done, but I think Hot Fuss is by far the best album they've made. I don't think that sort of discussion is bad, if you're not shitting on an artist. If people don't get negative then I don't think thinking someone's first album or two being their best is a bad POV, it's interesting to see where people's opinion lies on that sort of thing.

23. DarkHotline

That's fair, jumped a bit too quickly on it. My bad on that.

24. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

let's see, The All-American Rejects released two cool albums and then two bad albums that didn't get them anywhere. they should've stopped before going bad. did i do this right?

TotesAndGoats likes this.
  25. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah, I'm fine with that.