Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2010 in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Top ten box-office films of 2010:

1. Toy Story 3
    2. Alice in Wonderland
    3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
    4. Inception
    5. Shrek Forever After
    6. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
    7. Iron Man 2
    8. Tangled
    9. Despicable Me
    10. How To Train Your Dragon

What are your top three films for 2010? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:

1. Another Year
    2. Carlos
    3. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN FILM • forum.chorus.fm

2. Morrissey

Trusted

Having to leave off movies like Certified Copy, Meek's Cutoff, The Social Network, and Nostalgia for the Light is painful.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

1. Jackass 3D
    2. The Social Network
    3. MacGruber

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

1. The Social Network
    2. Beginners
    3. The Town

inception wouldn’t be in my top 20 and i’m offended certain people on this website thought it would

jkauf likes this.
  5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Another great year.

The Social Network
    The Town
    I Saw The Devil

HM: Certified Copy, 13 Assassins, How I Ended This Summer, Toy Story 3, Inception, Blue Valentine, Uncle Bonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, The Other Guys, Beginners, Shutter Island, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, True Grit, Animal Kingdom, Meek’s Cutoff, Never Let Me Go, Winter’s Bone, Rabbit Hole, Troll Hunter

And hopefully no offense to anyone, but Incendies is awful and I’m a pretty big Villeneuve fan.

George likes this.
  6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

1. Meek’s Cutoff
    2. Uncle Boonmee
    3. Somewhere

Social Network and Jackass 3D were close.

George likes this.
  7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. Blue Valentine
    2. I Saw the Devil
    3. Incendies

4. Beginners
    5. Poetry
    6. Black Swan
    7. Certified Copy
    8. 13 Assassins
    9. Another Year
    10. The Social Network

Also love Toy Story 3, Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, The Man from Nowhere, Tangled, How to Train Your Dragon, Boy, The Fighter, Cold Fish, Inception, Super, The Arbor, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Bedevilled, Rabbit Hole and Jackass 3. Fantastic year.

Long Century, George and jkauf like this.
  8. atlas

Trusted

1. Incendies
    2. Uncle Boonmee
    3. The Yellow Sea

Incendies is probably my favorite Denis V movie these days. Would be cool if he did another movie of that scope someday. I did not totally get Uncle Boonmee when I watched it last year, but I found my second viewing a few months ago to be a deeply mystical experience. I imagine that movie will only continue to get better with time. The Yellow Sea just edges out I Saw The Devil in the Korean thriller department for me, really love how it throws you headfirst into the chaos by showing instead of telling

SpyKi and George like this.
  9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

1. Blue Valentine
    2. The Social Network
    3. Inception
    4. The Town
    5. The Kids Are All Right
    6. The Fighter
    7. Black Swan
    8. The King's Speech

SpyKi likes this.
  10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Shame on the academy for not nominating Gosling for Best Actor that year.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  11. George

Trusted Prestigious

1. Another Year
    2. Poetry
    3. Four Lions

Another Year is Mike Leigh's absolutely pitch perfect film about a year in the life of an older couple, and their slightly tragic friend. Outstanding performances from the central three here, which basically goes without saying for a Leigh film, and a really sensitive and heartfelt film.

Poetry is also a heartfelt and sensitive film from Lee Chang Dong, about a grandma living with her tear-away grandson, and covering modern topics like dementia, poverty and suicide in a thoughtful and mature way.

Something very different is Chris Morris' farcical satire about homegrown suicide bombers, Four Lions. Utterly ludicrous from start to finish, and full of incredibly quotable moments. Outrageously funny from start to finish.

Honourable mentions;

A close fourth, Clio Barnad's The Arbor is a fascinating re-telling of playwright Andrea Dunbar's life, done through re-enactments of her life, of her semi-autobiographical plays, and through real voice overs of the people depicted here, but lip synced and performed by actors. Very difficult to categorise, but whatever it is, it's harrowing and powerful.

Some good stuff from Korea, including two Hong Sang-Soo movies, Oki's Movie and Hahaha, both about classic Hong protagonists, lonely, sad, drunk and pathetic film directors or professors. Also from Korea is The Housemaid, which functions as a (not as good) 2010 version of Parasite, about capitalism and the exploitation of the working class, in an upper class family. Also from this year is I Saw The Devil, I don't love it as much as most (I found the violence a bit too much), but it's extremely visceral and has certainly stayed with me.

A couple of good Pang Ho-Cheung films from HK, his modern rom-com, Love in a Puff about two people meeting while on cigarette breaks. It was classified as Category III (the HK equivalent of an 18 or an X Certificate), purely on the basis of the continual vulgarities and swearing, which is quite unusual for what is basically a standard Romcom. Also this year is Dream Home, a violent slasher and satire of HK's ludicrous housing market.

From Japan, there's the very fun Mutant Girls Squad, which is basically a bizarre super-hero film full of violence and absurdity. There's also Confessions, a bleak revenge thriller, with a super use of music.

For some miscellaneous films, Certified Copy is a wonderful and intriguing Kiarostami film, and the lead actor has the sexiest voice. Chico & Rita is a lovely adult orientated romantic animation about jazz music and Cuba. Hot Tub Time Machine is one of the most suprisingly funn American comedies in recent years. Post Mortem is Pablo Larrain's film about the incoming of Pinochet, with one of the best and most stark ending scenes in recent years.

Long Century and SpyKi like this.
  12. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

How To Train Your Dragon
    The Social Network
    Toy Story 3

secretsociety92 likes this.
  13. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

1. The Social Network
    2. MacGruber
    3. Meek's Cutoff

Honorable mentions:

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
    Certified Copy
    True Grit
    Winter's Bone
    Inception
    Toy Story 3
    Scott Pilgrim vs the World
    The Fighter
    Beginners

Long Century likes this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

Inception is better than The Town though.

Ken, Nathan, SpyKi and 1 other person like this.
  15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

1. The Social Network
    2. Meek's Cutoff
    3. Blue Valentine

SpyKi likes this.
  16. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

1. Toy Story 3
    2. Easy A
    3. Insidious

17. phaynes12

both are pretty bad. the town has a lot of nostalgia related to watching it in college. if i were trying to be objective i’d probably put never let me go third but that would be boring and dumb to do so

18. phaynes12

also, no, inception is much worse lol

Victor Eremita likes this.
  19. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Never Let Me Go would be way more interesting to put in a top 3 than the Town

phaynes12 likes this.
  20. Morrissey

Trusted

Remember how absurd The Social Network sounded at first? "The Facebook movie starring Justin Timberlake!"

Victor Eremita, SpyKi and phaynes12 like this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The death of Blockbuster and direct to video flicks really took away a lot of the cool grimy low budget shit I love from the 80-90s. Even the early 00s had some great cheese. 10s seem relatively sterile in that regard

Contender likes this.
  22. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

If trailers had their own Oscars category (which they absolutely should), The Social Network's would have won. That Radiohead cover is *chef's kiss*. Very memorable.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  23. phaynes12

“boring” was probably a bad word choice. it wouldn’t be authentic to how much i enjoy the movies, even if i recognize it’s the better film

Nathan likes this.
  24. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

neither are bad

25. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

1. Blue Valentine
    2. Winter’s Bone
    3. I Saw the Devil

Blue Valentine is so real, just a really well acted and relatable story. Winter’s Bone is just a reflection of the fact that I’m a sucker for a decent noir.
    Certified Copy could easily be listed. Meek’s Cutoff is very good. The Social Network is really well put together and I like it but I hate the dialogue so much it doesn’t come very close. I am squarely in the Inception is a bad movie camp. Just an obnoxiously stupid script.

Long Century, George and SpyKi like this.