Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1985 in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Top ten box-office films of 1985:

1. Back to the Future
    2. Rambo: First Blood Part II
    3. Rocky IV
    4. The Color Purple
    5. Out of Africa
    6. Cocoon
    7. The Jewel of the Nile
    8. Witness
    9. The Goonies
    10. Spies Like Us

What are your top three films for 1985? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:

1. Shoah
    2. Come and See
    3. Ran

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN FILM • forum.chorus.fm

SpyKi likes this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

Come and See is probably the best discovery I (with a push from @SpyKi) have made in doing this project. I actually had it on my hard drive in a folder of movies I needed to see, but I usually just rewatch Seinfeld or Friday Night Lights.

SpyKi likes this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

1. Taipei Story
    2. The Breakfast Club
    3. Ran

Breakfast Club is a nostalgic favorite. A lot of it is good and some of it isn’t but overall I like thinking about it and how much I loved it as a preteen. I’m not sure the last time I saw it.

Ran isn’t my favorite Kurosawa but it’s very good, and Taipei Story isn’t my favorite Yang but I like it more the more I reflect on it. I haven’t seen Come and See, it’s one that’s been in my queue for ages and I haven’t yet pulled the trigger. Back to the Future is really fun but I’ve never loved it as much as a lot of others do.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

There was a movie called Heaven Help Us that came out that year that I really liked as a kid. I have not watched it in about twenty years and I assume it wasn't that good but I want to preserve the memory of what it was at the time.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Holy shit what a year

1. Come and See
    2. Demons
    3. The Breakfast Club

highlights:
    Better off Dead
    After Hours
    Police Story
    Nightmare on Elm Street 2
    Fright Night
    Day of the Dead
    Weird Science
    Back to the Future
    Cemetery of Terror
    Lifeforce
    The Goonies
    Return of the Living Dead
    The Stuff
    Miami Connection
    Friday V

6. atlas

Trusted

1. Ran
    2. Come and See
    3. Tampopo

Really need to see Taipei Story, every time I watch an Edward Yang movie I think “this guy was the best to ever do it”

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

1. After Hours
    2. Rocky IV
    3. Witness

meh.

8. Nathan

After Hours is fun and man Better Off Dead rules. I remember finding out he went on to do Lizzie Maguire and it making a lot of sense once I realized it.

cshadows2887 and OhTheWater like this.
  9. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

It’s been on cable for me a few times in the last year, but I first saw it in middle school, I think it still holds up. Young Andrew McCarthy, Kevin Dillon, Patrick Dempsey, Mary Stuart Masterson... plus Donald Sutherland and John Heard!

10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. Come and See
    2. Brazil
    3. The Breakfast Club

Amazing year, One of my favourites of the decade. Also love Rocky IV, Mishima, Back to the Future, Taipei Story, Ran, Tampopo, Clue, Vagabond, bunch of great stuff.

11. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

1. Fright Night
    2. Clue
    3. Re-Animator

12. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

An even better year than the one before with at least ten films I could pick from with horror films being particularly strong but these are my choices -

1. Day of the Dead
    2. To Live and Die in L.A.
    3. Lifeforce

Could have easily picked any combination of the following though especially the first seven; Back to the Future, Fright Night, The Return of the Living Dead, Phenomena, Witness, Pale Rider, Runaway Train, Ran, Re-Animator, Commando, Demons, The Stuff, Cat’s Eye, The New Kids, and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins.

13. George

Trusted Prestigious

1. Police Story
    2. Tampopo
    3. Vagabond

Police Story was the big breakout Jackie Chan film that moved him fully away from period piece martial arts and into big budget modern action blockbusters. Full of ludicrous stunt work that'd be a massive influence on Hollywood cinema, it's a completely committed and over the top film with more broken glass than anything else I can think of.

Tampopo is a very funny Japanese film about a ramen shop, full of Monty Python esque diversions and non-sequitur cutaway scenes. Consistently funny, and there's also a scene where two lovers kiss and "erotically" repeatedly pass an egg yolk back and forth to each other that's one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on film... Link for the curious.

Considered Ran and Taipei Story for the third place, but went for Varda's Vagabond about the death of a young drifter. A tragic film about the desire for autonomy and independence in a callous capitalist world.

Honourable mentions include the surreal and bureaucratic dystopia of Brazil. Re-Animator a fantastic horror comedy splatter film that remembers to both be horrifying and comic. Yes, Madam a great action film with a star turn from Michelle Yeoh. Mr. Vampire, the first of many of these films, with our hopping Jiangshi, and Lam Ching-Ying playing the same character he'd play for the rest of his career, a Taoist priest, with ridiculous eyebrows.

I do need to see Come and See, I'm sure it's as excellent as everyone says, but I do find it hard to motivate myself to watch films that I know will make me feel miserable afterwards. If I stumble across them without looking it up it's a different matter, but would need to be in the right mood to watch this.

username, SpyKi and Nathan like this.
  14. username

hey you lil piss baby

1. Hail Mary
    2. Taipei Story
    3. Vagabond

HM: Tampopo, She Spent So Many Hours Under the Sun Lamps, After Hours, Four Sisters, Typhoon Club, The Time to Live and the Time to Die

Ran and Come and See are two of my biggest blindspots. I should have watched Ran months ago - I was on a run through Kurosawa's filmography but I got stopped at Kagemusha and its 3 hour runtime when I was moving apartments and just haven't gotten back to them. Come and See is on my Criterion Challenge list for this year, but I just haven't felt the mood for 2.5 hours of that so far this year. Mishima is another one from this year that I have been meaning to get around to for many years.

George likes this.
  15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

1. After Hours
    2. Enemy Mine
    3. Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Glad to see a reappraisal for Nightmare 2 in recent years, it rules.

Better off Dead was a huge blindspot for me, especially since I would watch One Crazy Summer a ton as a kid. I loved it! Wish I saw it as a teen.

Demons was a ton of fun, need to watch the sequel. The score is so good

Cemetery of Terror is my second favorite of Galindo’s horror flicks, behind Don’t Panic. Worth a watch if you wanna get into Mexican Horror!

Breakfast Club and Goonies were huge for me growing up. I watch TBC every semester with my film class. Holds up

Return of the Living Dead might be my favorite zombie movie.

Come and See was on my list for a while and holy shit did it blow me away.

Contender likes this.
  17. Nathan

My AP US history teacher showed us Better Off Dead in 10th grade after the AP test when we just watched movies and played Oregon Trail for the last couple weeks of the term.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

I decided to look up what the cast did after the movie. One of the main 5 boys will surprise you.

19. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

I haven’t seen enough of movies I should see from this year. Started Ran and will rank when I’m finished, but could take me a few days with this running time.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Evil Ed! Big year for him

21. George

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not sure if I'm misremembering it, but the only thing I can remember from Rambo II , is Rambo’s girlfriend being shot about 100 times repeatedly in the chest and then Rambo rushes over to her and says (in a big Stallone voice), “Are you alright?”

I’ve probably built it up in my mind since, but that’s the only thing I can remember from that film.

OhTheWater and SpyKi like this.
  22. Morrissey

Trusted

Come and See wins it with 10 votes. After Hours was in second place with 6 votes. Come and See will move on to the bracket.

SpyKi likes this.
  23. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

1. Ran
    2. The Breakfast Club
    3. After Hours
    Haven’t seen Come and See but I’ve been meaning to.

24. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

The Goonies, The Breakfast Club, and Back to the Future all coming out in the same year is just unfair.

I guess it could be nostalgia for my childhood when I saw all these movies but goddamn the 80s was a good decade for movies.

25. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh, and Clue! Goddamn.

[​IMG]