Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite The Mars Volta Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Mar 15, 2021.

?

And with every claymore that they mineeee

1. De-Loused in the Comatorium

36 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Frances the Mute

20 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. Amputecture

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. The Bedlam in Goliath

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Octahedron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Noctourniquet

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rank em, tell us why, or just pick one.

Link to all of the other polls here. You can leave suggestions for new polls there or here. Whatevs.

2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Frances >

coleslawed and beachdude like this.
  3. De-Loused but Frances is a close second.

stars143 likes this.
  4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

De-Loused, but I've never even heard anything after Frances. :teethsmile:

5. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Went Frances, but shout out to Bedlam, which I've always enjoyed.

Steeeve Perry and TriangularDuck like this.
  6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Deloused = Frances > Amputecture > Bedlam > Oct > Noct

Voted Deloused because I throw it on more often, an easier listen than Frances.

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

frances. it isn’t that complicated for me.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. PauLo

43% Burnt

They never topped De-Loused.

Argus likes this.
  9. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

you at least owe it to yourself to check out Amputechture and Bedlam

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

De Loused

11. MathiasGeleyn

Regular

Frances is my number one, but each album is incredible. I know a lot of people don't like Octahedron and Noctourniquet. But I have a mood for all of them. Currently I'm having a weird fase and I like the weirdness of Bedlam.

I hope this band returns!

OotyPa likes this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I looove Octahedron. Serene and strange. Noct is good but I never got into the full record, only select songs. Amputecture is also flames, unbelievably great record—almost haunting in a mythical kind of way lol.

MathiasGeleyn and irthesteve like this.
  13. christsizedshoes

Trusted

I respect Frances, but if I'm being completely honest, I've never once listened to it front-to-back and it's the least enjoyable listen to me. I mean, I appreciate prog, but that record's solid half hour of noodling noise passages make Pink Floyd's Animals look like ABBA. Still, the best 10 minutes of music on it are bliss.

Anyway, Bedlam's the one.

14. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I actually made an edited cut of the album years ago which cut out all the ambience and I used to listen to that pretty often. It cut the album down by 12 minutes, haha. I never listen to it anymore, but it certainly has a purpose.

15. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Good timing, I just finished a full discography revisit. I’m pretty confident of where I stand now after listening with fresh ears:

Deloused
    Frances
    Bedlam
    Amputechture
    Octahedron
    Noctourniquet

I remember hating Octahedron when it came out but I really like it now. Maybe it just wasn’t as in your face as Bedlam. Cedrics voice was more grating on Bedlam this go around but that album is still wild

16. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Noctourniquet is sick, I seem to like it way more than anyone else. such a cool psych-y feel to that album, I was obsessed when it first came out

"Empty Vessels" is still one of my favourite TMV songs

17. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Love De-Loused by imo, Frances is the better record. I highly recommend listening to the album with the title track first as it was originally intended, it makes the album feel more complete and adds to the experience. That said, totally understandable as to why people don’t dig all the ambient parts or the whole length of the record itself.

18. DarkHotline

Also, FTM to me is like how I view MBV’s Loveless, both are masterpieces created by one person who refused to compromise on their artistic vision. Like it’s totally insane that Omar made each player rehearse those songs note by note slowly until he felt they understood why each note is there and so on but when you listen to the album, you can totally tell by the playing how effective that was.

19. DarkHotline

As far the other albums go, Amputecture is cool, Bedlam is alright but I feel like the backstory of the recording is more interesting than the actual album. The other two are a haze to me because I don’t really remember much about them from my initial listens.

20. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Frances, De Loused, Bedlam. The rest I have never really gone back to. Nothing touches Relationship of Command but those three especially are great additions to the guys' overall catalogue. And if you don't have the patience for the more meandering parts of their albums I wouldn't recommend seeing them live, but I think they were really solid live.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Gonna be writing papers all day so I guess I'll give the more recent albums a run,.

22. PauLo

43% Burnt

I only gave The Bedlam in Goliath and Noctourniquet a proper listen the other week and both are really good. Deantoni Parks drumming on Noctourniquet in particular is fucking great. And that album has a very eerie vibe throughout that I dig. And the jazz fusion vibes on TBIG are really interesting too. Got early Santana vibes from it too.

Steeeve Perry and irthesteve like this.
  23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I think Vermicide and Day of the Baphomets are the only two I like off Amputecture, but holy fuck Baphomets is TMV at their best.

24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Meccamputechture tho!

irthesteve likes this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Three songs into Bedlam, I already like this a lot more.