Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1984 in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Top ten box-office films of 1984:

1. Beverly Hills Cop
    2. Ghostbusters
    3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    4. Gremlins
    5. The Karate Kid
    6. Police Academy
    7. Footloose
    8. Romancing the Stone
    9. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    10. Splash

What are your top three films for 1984? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:

1. Once Upon a Time in America
    2. Paris, Texas
    3. Repo Man

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN FILM • forum.chorus.fm

2. Morrissey

Trusted

It was a tossup between Repo Man and Spinal Tap, but I figure enough people will highlight the latter. Repo Man was a discovery when a literature teacher made a throwaway joke about how repo men are always intense. He was not that amused when I told him I watched the movie a week later.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

A good year!
    1. Blood Simple
    2. Streetwise
    3. Gremlins

Other good ones:
    Stop Making Sense
    Night of the Comet
    Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
    Terminator
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Paris, Texas
    Spinal Tap
    The Toxic Avenger

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. Nightmare on Elm Street
    2. Threads
    3. Once Upon a Time in America

Also a huge fan of The Neverending Story, Amadeus, Blood Simple, Gremlins, Paris, Texas, Love Streams, lots of really great stuff this year although like 83 it doesn't really have any all time favourites for me.

I went with Nightmare because I think it was one of the first things I watched that really got me into horror and I still love the concept and character. Threads is a super intense and dark movie, really well done.

George likes this.
  5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Beverly Hills Cop being top grossing was... unexpected...

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. Morrissey

Trusted

Ghostbusters was a close second but I do agree with you. I would have thought it was Indiana Jones but there was a lot of controversy around the violence.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

I must also note I prefer the first Terminator film to the second. The horror elements are fantastic.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

1. Paris, Texas
    2. The Terminator
    3. Blood Simple

Bill Duke's the Killing Floor is great, more people should seek out his directorial work. I do love Nightmare on Elm Street, This is Spinal Tap, Ghostbusters, and the Natural as well. I haven't made time for Once Upon a Time in America yet. But the top 3 are three of my all-time favorites, it'd be tough to crack them

George and OhTheWater like this.
  9. atlas

Trusted

1. Amadeus
    2. The Terminator
    3. Spinal Tap

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

1. Ghostbusters
    2. Beverly Hills Cop
    3. Starman

Others I really like:
    The Muppets Take Manhattan
    A Passage to India
    Footloose
    Stop Making Sense
    The Natural
    All of Me
    Purple Rain
    Birdy
    The Terminator
    Repo Man
    This Is Spinal Tap
    Amadeus
    Streets of Fire
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Splash
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    The Killing Fields
    Broadway Danny Rose
    Gremlins
    Top Secret!
    The Karate Kid

Good ones
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Cotton Club
    Romancing the Stone
    The Brother from Another Planet
    Places in the Heart
    A Soldier's Story
    Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    Swing Shift
    The Neverending Story
    The Times of Harvey Milk
    The Last Starfighter
    Beat Street

Eh/fine:
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
    Sixteen Candles
    Blame It on Rio

Not a fan:
    The Bounty
    Police Academy
    The Woman in Red
    Best Defense

George likes this.
  11. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

1. Blood Simple
    2. This is Spinal Tap
    3. The Terminator

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

probably best of the 80s for me

13. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Really good year overall.

1. This is Spinal Tap
    2. Blood Simple
    3. One Upon a Time in America

Honorable mentions to:

Paris, Texas
    The Terminator
    Gremlins
    Ghostbusters
    Nightmare on Elm Street

I keep forgetting to watch Repo Man, I need to do that. I've heard it's great.

14. George Jun 22, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 22, 2021)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

1. Wheels on Meals
    2. Blood Simple
    3. Paris, Texas

Wheels on Meals is the absolute best of HK kung-fu comedy. Set in a curiously Cantonese speaking Barcelona, and featuring the big three of Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung (who also directs) and Yuen Biao. A brilliant blend of silent comedy style gags, with ridiculous physical performances by all three. It's consistently funny, and consistently jaw dropping with it's stunt work. If you haven't seen any of these sort of films, this is the best place to start.

Blood Simple is the Coen's debut, that almost feels like a highlight reel of what they'd do afterwards, blending noir, westerns, farce, miscommunication and tragedy into one. It's also one of the few Director's Cuts that I know of that is shorter than the theatrically released version. Also worth a look as a curio, is Zhang Yimou's remake of it, a decade ago; A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop

Paris, Texas
    is Wenders' beautiful road movie, featuring a wonderful, poignant performance from Harry Dean Stanton, full of incredible shots of the desert as Stanton wandering in it. The scene where Stanton re-unites with his daughter through the one-way mirror is one of the best moments in all of cinema.

Some honourable mentions for me this year include The Temple of Doom, Spinal Tap, Full Moon in Paris, After the Rehearsal & 1984. A really strong top 3 this year, but I think there's a bigger gap between the third place and the honourable mentions than in previous years.

Maggie Cheung (who is without doubt one of my favourite actors) also made her debut in two pretty mediocre rom-coms this year, Prince Charming & Behind the Yellow Line - she would go on to be the best thing in basically any film she starred in, pretty soon.

SpyKi likes this.
  15. George

Trusted Prestigious

Is Threads as bleak and hopeless as it’s reputation? I have a hard job psyching myself up to watch films if I know I’ll feel miserable afterwards.

16. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

This is another extremely stacked year which has at least nine films that could easily make my top three but here is the one-third of those I think just have an edge over the rest -

1. Once Upon a Time in America
    2. The Terminator
    3. 2010: The Year We Make Contact

Other favorites include; Ghostbusters, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Gremlins, Beverly Hills Cop, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, The Return of Godzilla, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Firestarter, and The Hit.

17. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

pretty much.

18. username

hey you lil piss baby

1. The Home and the World
    2. Liberté la nuit
    3. Paris, Texas

Another though year to narrow down. I watched Ray’s The Home and the World for a paper last year and I found it completely astonishing. An incredible display of formalism that truly amplifies its political-romantic conflicts. Every single shot left me in total awe. It’s not a film that gets discussed much, but for me it’s one of the decade’s highest masterpieces and the best of the 8 films I’ve seen from Ray.

Liberté la nuit is just an emotionally devastating film. Perhaps Garrel at his most raw. Paris, Texas speaks for itself at this point, but it was a major film for me when I was first digging through random Criterion releases.

Other great films to consider: Body Double (De Palma), Farewell to the Ark (Terayama), Love Unto Death (Resnais), Boy Meets Girl (Carax), Stranger than Paradise (Jarmusch), After the Rehearsal (Bergman), The Deserted City (Obayashi). Coppola’s The Cotton Club is great (or the encore version is at least, I haven’t seen the original theatrical cut). I hesitate to call it better than his obvious masterpieces from the 70s - it’s been a while since I’ve seen any of them - but it’s definitely a film I feel more outwardly enthusiastic about.

Saw this Ackerman short at the retrospective in 2019 and I loved it. One of the best examples of her largely unheralded talent as a comedic filmmaker.

George likes this.
  19. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

1. Paris, Texas
    2. Once Upon a Time in America
    3. The Terminator

Paris, Texas is the stand out here for me in a solid year. Borderline perfect film, looks excellent, excellent acting and the story is told beautifully and builds to a really great scene and ending.
    Some really good classic horror this year. And The Toxic Avenger, which kicked off quite a run for low budget B movies.

Nathan likes this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is the first core F13 year. The one I’d recommend as maybe the quintessential “slasher” film

Victor Eremita likes this.
  21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

[​IMG]

OhTheWater likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Night of the Comet is very fun. Colors, music, main characters. All around a good time

OG Terminator is somehow underrated compared to the love the sequel gets

Streetwise seems to be overlooked here. Just added to Criterion, check it out!!!

I Am Mick and phaynes12 like this.
  24. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

1. Nightmare on Elm Street
    2. Ghostbusters
    3. Children of the Corn

25. Morrissey

Trusted

Right now there is a tie for first place, another film 1 vote behind first place, and a fourth film just 2 votes behind. A very competitive year.