Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1977 in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, May 25, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Top ten box-office films of 1977:

1. Star Wars
    2. Smokey and the Bandit
    3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    4. Saturday Night Fever
    5. The Goodbye Girl
    6. A Bridge Too Far
    7. The Deep
    8. The Spy Who Loved Me
    9. Oh, God!
    10. Annie Hall

What are your top three films for 1977? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:

1. Annie Hall
    2. Eraserhead

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN FILM • forum.chorus.fm

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

1. Eraserhead
    2. Saturday Night Fever
    3. Star Wars

I wouldn’t be being honest with myself if I didn’t include Star Wars, the first movie has a lot of legitimate brilliance going for it and it’s purity as a stand alone thing with the political statements it’s making are unmatched in the rest of the franchise. That said I don’t want it to win. Eraserhead and Saturday Night Fever are both worthy of being ranked higher. Honestly Annie Hall was a longtime favorite but who needs to put that energy out into the world still

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

1. Slap Shot
    2. Star Wars

4. stars143

Trusted

1. Star Wars
    2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    3. A Bridge Too Far

All great movies I saw when I was a kid

5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. Eraserhead
    2. The Ascent
    3. Opening Night

good year but easy number 1.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  6. username

hey you lil piss baby

1. One Sings, The Other Doesn’t
    2. Opening Night
    3. The American Friend

Matthewconte likes this.
  7. George

Trusted Prestigious

1. Abigail's Party
    2. Eraserhead
    3. House

Mike Leigh is pretty adamant that Abigail's Party is "not a film", but he's not going to be part of these threads, so I can ignore what he thinks. This is an absolutely excruciating, wince-worthy comedy, which features a brilliant turn from Alison Steadman as the monstrous Beverley. Feels far ahead of it's time, definitely feels like a mid-00s British comedy, but 25 years earlier.

Eraserhead is a deeply unsettling and uncomfortable film to watch, that despite really really enjoying it the 2 - 3 times I've seen it, I never really feel like I want to revisit it. Really gets under your skin, the work of twisted genius.

House is basically the opposite sort of horror film to Eraserhead, while still being a highly imaginative work. A bold and brashly coloured film, with ridiculous and madcap silly effects, full of eccentric and off the wall humour.

Honourable mentions for this year would include Annie Hall, Suspira & The American Friend.

This year, we also have Sammo Hung's directorial debut, The Iron Fisted Monk. Sammo is going to pop up a bit in my lists in the next 10 years or so, with his incredible mix of comic martial arts, Buster Keaton meets Bruce Lee. This debut is not quite as good as what would come next, but still worth highlighting.

8. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

1. One Sings the Other Doesn't
    2. Annie Hall
    3. Slap Shot

9. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

1. Star Wars
    2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    3. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Movies I really like:
    The Goodbye Girl
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    Annie Hall
    Julia
    Smokey and the Bandit

Good ones:
    The Late Show
    The Rescuers
    Suspiria
    The American Friend
    Man of Marble
    The Deep

Solid/fine:
    Slap Shot
    Pete's Dragon
    Oh, God!
    High Anxiety
    The Hills Have Eyes
    Saturday Night Fever
    The Ascent
    Last Chants for a Slow Dance
    Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown

Not a fan:
    Eraserhead
    The Turning Point
    Airport '77
    Looking for Mr. Goodbar

secretsociety92 likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Fuck Annie Hall

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Star Wars
    Eraserhead
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

13. tomdelonge

Trusted

1. Star Wars
    2. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
    3. 3 Women

star war is good

cshadows2887 likes this.
  14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Is fucking Star Wars going to win this year? That's wild!

1. Suspiria
    2. The American Friend
    3. Hausu

15. George May 25, 2021
    (Last edited: May 25, 2021)
    George

Trusted Prestigious

I’m not 100% sure I’ve ever actually seen Star Wars. I have a vague memory of it, as a kid on a VHS at a friends house, but I’m not sure how reliable that memory is, and how much I’ve just assimilated from general pop culture.

I’ve certainly seen some of the prequels and one of the newer ones, and I think I’ve probably seen the originals, but I wouldn’t bet my life on it.

16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

[​IMG]

17. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

umm ERASERHEAD

SpyKi likes this.
  18. username

hey you lil piss baby

Glad to see Hausu pop up a few times already. I don’t love it - in fact there’s at least a dozen Obayashi films I like more - but he’s truly one of my all time favourite filmmakers so I’m happy to see it. No one reveled in the bizarre possibilities of green screen like he did for literally his entire career.

I’m shocked that this is the first list with Suspiria on it. It’s not on my list so I’m really in no place to speak (although it was in contention for the third place) but still unexpected.

Really didn’t expect anyone else to have this Varda as their number one! The more time that passes, the more that I think it might be her greatest work. Such an incisive, empathetic, frustrated, and inventive work.

OhTheWater and Matthewconte like this.
  19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

[​IMG]

cshadows2887 and secretsociety92 like this.
  20. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Easy year for me, not because there isn't much to choose from but due to the fact three of my all-time favorite films were released in 1977 and they are -

1. Sorcerer
    2. The Spy Who Loved Me

Other favorites from the year include; Twilight’s Last Gleaming, Sleeping Dogs, Rollercoaster, The Gauntlet, The Duellists, A Bridge Too Far, The Deep (nice to see someone else appreciate this @cshadows2887 ), Demon Seed, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, Orca, The Hills Have Eyes and Capricorn One.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. cshadows2887

I know it has some story flaws, but man it's incredible to look at and it really does manage to build some spooky tension

22. secretsociety92

Agreed plus I have yet to watch a bad seventies film with Robert Shaw involved as he is great.

23. cshadows2887

Jaws, The Deep, The Sting, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three...shit you might be on to something there.

24. secretsociety92

Then there is Black Sunday, Robin and Marian, and Force 10 from Navarone. The guy really spent his final years going out with a bang, he died way before his time.

25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

it's insane how many good films were released that year

CarpetElf likes this.