Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1975 in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, May 19, 2021.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

Top ten box-office films of 1975:

1. Jaws
    2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    3. Shampoo
    4. Dog Day Afternoon
    5. The Return of the Pink Panther
    6. Three Days of the Condor
    7. Funny Lady
    8. The Other Side of the Mountain
    9. Tommy
    10. The Apple Dumpling Gang

What are your top three films for 1975? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:

1. Barry Lyndon
    2. The Mirror
    3. Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN FILM • forum.chorus.fm

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

1. Jaws
    2. Grey Gardens

Haven’t seen the other films from this year in a long time. I didn’t love Nashville

3. Morrissey

Trusted

This was another tough year. Barry Lyndon was my clear number one; depending on my mood, I may prefer it to 2001: A Space Odyssey. I haven't really fully interpreted The Mirror yet, but it has such haunting imagery. Jeanne Dielman is the pinnacle of "slow" movies, but the payoff is certainly worth it.

Dog Day Afternoon and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are great, nuanced dramas for adults, the kind that is so rare nowadays. Nashville is terrific, and might have made the list on a different day. Love and Death and Monty Python and the Holy Grail are funny in very different ways.

Jaws is the monolith here, and it leads to questions about how a film's cultural impact should be entered into the total assessment of a film. As just a film, it is incredible, tense, and as a young boy in Florida it was always on my mind when we went to the beach. However, it is the harbinger of doom; it and Star Wars are the ancestors of Justice League and, more literally, 11 subsequent Star Wars films. Very few of the heirs to the blockbuster film had the talent of Spielberg or (at first) Lucas. You can't really sell a Godfather lunchbox and no one wanted 2001: A Space Odyssey action figures and they aren't going to make a theme park ride about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but now the mainstream space is dominated by these tentpoles. Spielberg did not know this would happen, but it is his legacy, and when you consider circumstances like his producer credit on the puerile Transformers films, he has not done much to combat them.

Victor Eremita likes this.
  4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Dog Day Afternoon
    Jaws
    Barry Lyndon
    (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is #4)

Dog Day Afternoon is so, so, so good.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
    2. Barry Lyndon
    3. That Most Important Thing: Love

Also love Dog Day Afternoon, Dersu Urzula, Master of the Flying Guillotine and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Never liked Jaws when I was younger, rewatched it recently and still didn't love it like most do but I can appreciate it a lot more now. Jeanne Dielman is one of my least favourite watching experiences ever, haha.

George likes this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    2. Dog Day Afternoon
    3. Jaws

secretsociety92 and George like this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

^^same

2. Dog Day Afternoon
    3. Jaws

secretsociety92 and George like this.
  8. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

This is a tough one for me because while I adore Monty Python and the Holy Grail for its hilarious jokes and iconic scenes I would be lying to myself if I considered it a great film despite it being a clear favourite of mine from this decade which is complicated further by my recent love of Dario Argento with Deep Red being truly superb. Guess I will have to sacrifice Dog Day Afternoon because yes it is sensational but I haven't seen it in quite the same volume as the others I want to pick so my top three will have to be the following -

1. Jaws
    2. Deep Red
    3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Others from this year I really like are; Night Moves, The Man Who Would Be King, Terror of Mechagodzilla, The Eiger Sanction, The Hindenburg, Race with the Devil, Three Days of the Condor, Breakheart Pass, and The Return of the Pink Panther.

Contender and George like this.
  9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Not a particularly great year for me here, nothing here that was a particularly obvious number one, but there's a handful of films that I like.

2. Dog Day Afternoon
    3. Black Magic

Monty Python is consistently ridiculous - one of those films that I'll have seen dozens of times over the last twenty years, and laugh just as much at it now as I would have done when I was about 10. Just manages to find humour in all sorts of places, that take you by surprise.

Dog Day Afternoon might well by my favourite Pacino performance some days, managing to be hilarious and tragic in equal measure, as they bumble through a bank robbery.

Black Magic is probably not the third best movie of the year, but I thought it's worth mentioning anyway. A great proof of concept film that spawned a bunch of great black magic voodoo esque films in the subsequent years in Hong Kong. Full of brilliant 70s costumes, colour, props and music (there's a repeated synth line throughout the movie that'll get stuck in your head). While it's not as wild as unhinged as the films it inspired, as a blueprint for that little sub-genre of black magic movies, it's a great watch. A silly, silly watch, but certainly worth seeing.

Big ones for me to watch from this year that I haven't seen yet are Mirror & Jeanne Dielman.

10. username

hey you lil piss baby

1. Fox and His Friends
    2. The Passenger
    3. Manila in the Claws of Night

The Fassbinder is on the short list of the films that I might call my all-time favourite.

11. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

1. Rocky Horror Picture Show
    2. Deep Red
    3. Grey Gardens

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

1. Jeanne Dielman
    2. Barry Lyndon
    3. Dog Day Afternoon

13. Victor Eremita May 20, 2021
    (Last edited: May 20, 2021)
    Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

1. Barry Lyndon
    2. The Mirror
    3. Dog Day Afternoon

14. Morrissey

Trusted

I was starting to become worried at the lack of Barry Lyndon support.

15. username

hey you lil piss baby

Haven’t seen it in years but it’s probably my second favourite Kubrick after Eyes Wide Shut.

16. tomdelonge May 20, 2021
    (Last edited: May 20, 2021)
    tomdelonge

Trusted

1. Jaws
    2. Monty Python & The Holy Grail
    3. Jeanne Dielman

Jeanne Dielman is the better movie, but I watched Holy Grail hundreds of times as a kid.

Jaws isn’t my favorite movie but I’ve watched it so many times it may as well be. That’s a dog day mood I like to hang around in. I put it on all the time just to chill in that world and play guitar or whatever.

I have a fondness for A Boy And His Dog in that regard as well.

17. tomdelonge

Trusted

The Passenger is a good one too

18. stars143

Trusted

2. Jaws
    3. Barry Lyndon

Honorable mentions:
    Death Race 2000
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Man Who Would Be King
    Nashville
    Overlord
    The Return of the Pink Panther
    The Stepford Wives
    Terror of Mechagodzilla
    Tommy

19. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

1. Jaws
    2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    3. The Wind and The Lion

Movies I really like:
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Man Who Would Be King
    Nashville
    Love and Death
    Deewaar
    Picnic at Hanging Rock
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Three Days of the Condor
    The Sunshine Boys

Good ones:
    Death Race 2000
    Give 'Em Hell, Harry
    The Prisoner of Second Avenue
    Aaron Loves Angela

Solid/fine:
    Farewell My Lovely
    The Return of the Pink Panther
    Shampoo
    Hedda
    Cousin, Cousine
    Manila in the Claws of Brightness
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Jeanne Dielman 23 Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Not a fan:
    The Day of the Locust
    Fox and His Friends
    The Hindenburg
    Rollerball
    Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom
    India Song
    Tommy
    The Man in the Glass Booth

Woof:
    Once Is Not Enough

secretsociety92 and phaynes12 like this.
  20. tomdelonge

Trusted

I forgot about Picnic At Hanging Rock, that’s a great movie

cshadows2887 likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

Jaws wins it with 18 votes. Monty Python and the Holy Grail was in very close with 17 votes. Jaws will move on to the bracket.

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

couldn’t go wrong with either