Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1972 in music. • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Jun 28, 2021.

1. tomdelonge

Trusted

One a the best ever

and still like Big Star’s #3 record

2. Maverick

Trusted

Been listening to some of the recs in this thread (Fanny really is a very talented group that deserves way more recognition) and now Big Star, so that’s where that ‘70s show theme song comes from!

cshadows2887 likes this.
  3. Gianni

Trusted

I had the same experience 6 or 7 years ago. It’s gotta top 5 for me from this year easily. Incredible record.

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it’s my birthday and i’m out of town and won’t be back until tuesday - everyone cool with us just extending this year another week? i don’t wanna cut the next year short on days bc i can’t tabulate until tuesday

cshadows2887, Gianni28 and irthesteve like this.
  5. tomdelonge

Trusted

Hbd dawg

6. phaynes12

ty ty

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I even knew a few of the songs, because I'd heard cover versions by Counting Crows over the years. But yeah, for whatever reason, never got to that album until a few years ago.

Meerkat likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Happy birthday bruhhhhhh, don't make a new thread yet, you're good

cshadows2887 and phaynes12 like this.
  9. Gianni

Trusted

I am actually more than fine with this I listened to almost NOTHING from ‘72 this week. Too busy up until Thursday and have been jamming a “summer weekend” mix playlist since Friday.

10. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Officially gonna use this week to circle back to some stuff on my target lists that I didn’t get to in time.

irthesteve likes this.
  11. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Happy birthday Pat!

Listening to David Clayton Thomas' solo record. The arrangements are great. I haven't been able to find a ton of information on this but I guess some of the Blood Sweat and Tears guys played on this as well. Keys/piano on this is excellent

phaynes12 and cshadows2887 like this.
  12. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

A little drum trivia for anyone interested:
    Didn't realize until today that Gary Chester played on Jim Croce's You Don't Mess Around With Jim. Chester wrote what's considered one of the top tier, classic drum set method books The New Breed. The book really took off when Dave Weckl cited it as one of the best books he had studied out of. It's basically a mix and match system where he gives you a bunch of patterns for your feet to play and then a bunch for your hands and then you're supposed to run through every possible variation. I've never met anyone who has gotten through the entire thing in earnest since it's pretty infinite. I haven't really heard too much of what Chester's played on so it was nice to finally make that connection

cshadows2887 likes this.
  13. George

Trusted Prestigious

Released exactly 49 years ago today, I listened to Trilogy by Emerson, Lake & Palmer. This was the first time I'd heard any of their stuff, so didn't really have any preconceptions, other than knowing they were proggy.

It's mostly instrumental, with vocals used sparingly, and there's some pretty futuristic synth sounds for 1972, that does sound pretty ahead of it's time, and combines well with some excellent basslines that provide the rhythm section. Even for instrumental tracks without any conventional hooks, it's very poppy at times, and a pretty fascinating listen really.

14. cshadows2887

I’m always so conflicted on them. They have all the stupidest instincts of prog, writ large. But they also undeniably have some incredible songs on every album, like “The Endless Enigma” and “From the Beginning”

Gianni28 likes this.
  15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

1. David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
    2. Paul Simon: Paul Simon
    3. Steely Dan: Can't Buy a Thrill

Cuts:
    Bill Withers: Still Bill
    Elton John: Honky Chateau
    Lou Reed: Transformer

Kind of a weird year for me - there's not really a ton that I know very well from this year. But Ziggy is up there with my favorite Bowie. Paul Simon's solo debut stays true to his work with S&G, while showing where else he can take his songwriting. Steely Dan's album is just so fun, I can't help but include it.

I've checked out a bunch of albums, but the Nick Drake one deserves a special shout out. I've never heard of him until last week, but Pink Moon is such a clear blue print for so, so many artists since.

Gianni28 likes this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

is it weird that I like Bryter Layter more than Pink Moon? I haven't yet heard Five Leaves Left, so I don't know about that one yet

17. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Bryter Layter is the only one I didn't listen to yet, but the description I saw sounds like something I'd be into, so I'm excited to give it a go

irthesteve likes this.
  18. tomdelonge

Trusted

Not weird

19. tomdelonge

Trusted

Hazey Jane 2’s pretty high on my nick drake faves. I love that long melody

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Pink Moon is one of very few albums that hit the level of otherworldliness that Astral Weeks does

williek311 and cshadows2887 like this.
  21. PauLo

43% Burnt

1. Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
    2. Bill Withers - Still Bill
    3. Miles Davis - On The Corner
    4. Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
    5. Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

22. cshadows2887

Putting up ‘73 today?

23. phaynes12

yes. sorry, it slipped my mind. i’m actually kinda coasting with not much going on at work rn so i’ll work on it now haha

Gianni28 and cshadows2887 like this.
  24. phaynes12

David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust wins with 29 points (fuck yeah!). exile on main street comes in 2nd with 20 and pink moon is in 3rd with 17.

Gianni28 likes this.
  25. phaynes12