Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Zombieland: Double Tap (Ruben Fleischer, October 18, 2019) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Serh Oct 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2019)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Better than I figured, but not as good as I hoped. Not so bad to see these characters again if you're a fan of the first, but the new additions (save for maybe Rosario) don't leave the best of impressions. Zoey Deutch's character gets old after three minutes tops. A good amount of the humor is unsurprisingly dated. Like, I'd have believed anyone if this was made in the early 2010s. There are a couple jokes in there I saw coming a mile away. Even most of the obligatory callback jokes land poorly

That said, most of the zombie-fighting scenes are still cool, and I did get some laughs - even big ones - every once in a while. Last 20 or so minutes are cool as hell, honestly. I'd say in the pantheon of years-belated comedy sequels, this is well above something like Anchorman 2, Dumb and Dumber To, Zoolander 2, Bad Santa 2, and so forth. In all fairness, I had a terrible group of people who wouldn't shut the hell up in front of me, and one of em kept texting, so that definitely soured things for me. I'd say if you're gonna see this, do it with a big crowd that doesn't suck like mine

Stay for a mid-credits scene that maybe improves the entire film by at least a half-star as well

RyanPm40 likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

post credits scene too, not as good as mid-credits

3. 333 GANG

ACAB

Seeing this on Saturday night. Can’t wait.

4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Thought this was very mediocre and plagued with the same problems every 10+ year old comedy suffers from: constant callbacks, overstuffed, thinking bigger is better.

The “Deadpool” writers just go back to the well of vegan/sjw jokes for one subplot and an awfully annoying dumb blonde character for the other. I don’t think they know how to write any other joke. The characters are pretty much all cartoons now and the cinematography is surprisingly drab compared to the first.

I liked some of the world building with the evolution of the zombies. But it’s missing almost all of the charm of the first. There’sa reason that it was perfect at 90 minutes - because that’s pretty much all the story you needed. Even for a light, disposable sequel, this is unnecessary.

jkauf and AWasteOfATime like this.
  5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

So is this less funny than Deadpool 2?

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah

7. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Damn that's a bummer

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

There's SOME good to great jokes in there, but they're mostly spread out and you'll have to sit through some less inspired stuff to get there (like every scene involving Middleditch)

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I got a few chuckles like the Columbia Pictures intro. But the whole Madison subplot is like straight out of a ‘90s sitcom and the hippie commune is like out of right wing fan fiction. And both lead almost nowhere. The Middleditch part especially though, our audience laughed at almost anything and they were completely silent for that.

10. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Loved this much more than y’all. Wasn’t expecting some high brow shit...the first one certainly wasn’t.

michael_gatto and 333 GANG like this.
  11. 333 GANG

ACAB

Said it before, this is zero chance I won’t love this.

12. AWasteOfATime Oct 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 18, 2019)
    AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

yeah

the only jokes that really worked at all for me were the ones having to do with various historical artifacts, which I realize were done better by Last Man On Earth, several years ago. this movie feels like it was written hastily in 2009, then sat on a shelf for 9 years. but a lot of it even feels lazy and low hanging even by 2009 standards? Also it treats all of its female characters like utter shit, as sexual objects or prizes to be won, its pretty atrocious and regressive. I can't believe they got Emma Stone to do this after her last role was oscar nominated in The Favourite...

2009 truly was 50 years ago.

yeahrightdude, Zilla and coleslawed like this.
  13. This made more than Maleficent in thurs night showings, which is wild to me. Maleficent will still be #1 this weekend, but I'm surprised people showed up for this. I didn't think there were a ton of fans of the original.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  14. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

I remember a lot of people around here liking the first one a lot. Seemed like a relatively popular movie, which is strange because I don't think it has too many quote-able moments like a lot of comedies of the era tended to have. A lot of funny scenes but not people walking around quoting one liners or scenes like they did with a lot of the other mid-late 2000s comedies

15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That's the truth. It's like it was both yesterday and so long ago. I appreciate that they didn't try and shoehorn any Trump jokes or anything (They even got rid of the Clinton cigar joke). Not that that makes the jokes in there any better.

16. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

cutting one tiny piece of shit off from a much larger piece of shit

Zilla likes this.
  17. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I liked the first one! Thought it was fun and kind of sweet, and had some interesting delivery for jokes and performances.

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, the first one at least has some pathos to it, with how the zombie apocalypse affected their lives and why they act the way they do. It's mostly remembered for the Bill Murray cameo. But it's a fun, more mainstream "Shaun of the Dead" type movie that go in before the zombie well got tapped dry. I put it right next to "Warm Bodies" with how enjoyable it is.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  19. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I found this totally serviceable and enjoyable. Solid 6/10. Zoey Deutch should be the President.

20. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This was...fine? Haven’t seen the original in years but remember it being a couple notches better than this. Zoey Deutch completely stole the movie even though the writing for her character is insanely lazy.

TJ Wells likes this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen Oct 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 18, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I try to not be judgmental but the theater was full of the biggest dorks in the world, just like repeating the jokes and being like ooh I know what's coming next like it's Family Guy or something
    Zoey Deutch is way too cool to just be doing a sexy baby voice dumb blonde but I love that she even imbues Madison with warmth
    I wish there was more about the fact that Little Rock basically grew up in a zombie apocalypse and how it would affect her psychologically, they basically just went with she's lonely and horny
    I definitely would never guess that the best joke in this would be about David Gray
    the Elvis stuff was weird, feel like the discourse now is less he was the first rock star more he groomed a 14 year old
    I only remember bits of the first but I don't think it really mattered because the movie was so self referential it caught you back up to speed
    also if I remember correctly from the first one Tallahassee was the one who came up with the call yourself by your city of origin gambit, how would Madison, Nevada, Albuquerque, Flagstaff and Berkeley know to do that

22. michael_gatto

Trusted

glad I'm not alone. I loved this. Lots of laughs and fun action. Great to see this cast together again too.

333 GANG likes this.
  23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I probably laughed the hardest at middleditch’s “you’re a sweet, sweet man.”

333 GANG, michael_gatto and TJ Wells like this.
  24. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Agree with this rating. It was basically what I expected.

25. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It was very cathartic to see Bill Murray kill Grace Randolph-zombie.

SteveLikesMusic and Serh like this.