Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Zayn - Mind of Mine Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Mar 7, 2016.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Fair enough. He's very commercially successful so far so obviously there's an audience for him, and he is already building up a fanbase... I think even the weaker material will be carried by his amazing voice, but obviously I'd like the material to be strong on its own merits. So far I find the balance he seems to be striking between more experimental stuff and commercial mass appeal to be very interesting and with a lot of potential... which will hopefully be realized to some extent on the full album. Malay's production is a big part of why I was so interested from the start, and It's You is a great example of it imo, I think it's a fantastic song. In any case he's had enough success already to at least have a few years of relevance in which to keep growing.

2. beachdude

I think he'll sort of be a gateway drug for a lot of kids into similar artists who lean more experimental, or as Ryan put it actually interesting R&B.

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I mean, it's 3 songs from a technically new solo artist. I think it's still worth hearing the full album

4. beachdude

Yeah totally. I know several people who have had very positive reactions to all three songs, ranging from "pretty good" for Pillowtalk to "amazing" for It's You... I think he's definitely killing it in a lot of people's eyes. Not everything in music has to be groundbreaking, there's room for followers who imitate well which I think he does... especially considering these are his FIRST songs as his own entity and he's barely older than I am, I think expecting him to come roaring out of the gate with some sort of unique sound is going to inevitably lead to disappointment. Not saying that's what anyone in here is saying, but I've seen that complaint elsewhere and I think it's silly.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  5. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I'm still going to listen to the album I Just happen to hate this 1 song.

beachdude42 likes this.
  6. beachdude

I wasn't criticizing any of y'all if that's how it came off, I'm just articulating my thoughts since this is really the only place I've seen negativity for all the songs he's done so far overall.

AelNire likes this.
  7. Meerkat

@AelNire Yeah this one really rubbed me the wrong way

8. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

his voice is good but that can only do so much. sam smith is an extremely gifted singer but he's fucking miserable to listen to.

whether or not he has an audience is irrelevant - and idk that he does anyway, he dropped like a rock on the hot 100 after the 1d fans carried him to the top - but i just don't hear it for him with this stuff. its competent and fine but its stiff and boring. its just there. it doesn't warrant much of anything in terms of a reaction. like i dont even dislike this stuff really. its fine, but thats all it is. its like a mass produced painting in ikea. its fine. it doesn't offend me. but it doesn't stir anything in me either. its well constructed, but i can almost see the sausage being made behind it

schlotty likes this.
  9. Meerkat

@Ryan Dennehy That's fair. I don't think anything he's put out so far is enough to convince anyone who needed convincing when it comes to him. I'm not sure any of those songs would win people over or get anyone who wasn't already interested interested.

10. beachdude

Haha that is a good analogy even if I disagree with it, I'll give you props for that. I can see a bit of that mass-produced feel on "Pillowtalk" for sure, I think they played it safe with the lead single and it obviously paid off commercially, but now it's whether or not he can put out a cohesive project.

"It's You" to me is a great sign... and I treat today's song as more of a fun bonus track (what it is) than a single. If the album lives up to "It's You" which is easily one of my favorite songs of the year so far, I'll dig it. I think he's already way more interesting than Sam Smith, who somehow manages to have a world-class voice and be completely mind-numbing.

11. beachdude

I know at least three friends who had little or zero interest in 1D or anything regarding him before, who heard the two songs that came out before today and are anticipating the album now. I know that's just a personal anecdote, but I definitely think he's getting an audience. I don't know why I even care this much haha, it's just funny seeing the disconnect between how I'm seeing this received by people I know and on here.

12. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

yeah i mean i know he has a very nice voice and is at least somewhat high minded about what he wants to do so ill give it a whirl, but for me its just not there yet. maybe down the line.

13. Meerkat

I think "It's You" is the only thing that's come close to reminding me how talented of a vocalist he is. I was expecting him to go a bit more in your face with it. Which I mean, there's something to be said for restriction. But I really thought the first songs would be a real vocal muscle flex.

14. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

honestly i hear "its you" and think of tobias jesso jr haha. not even really sure why. something about it i guess. but yeah. something like "latch" would have been an unreal power move.

15. Meerkat

That kind of makes sense haha. I don't hear it, but I'll give it to you.

16. beachdude

From what I remember reading the song "Befour" which was teased a while back is supposed to be a really falsetto-heavy vocal performance that shows his range well. I definitely agree that I hope there's some bigger showcases of his vocal chops because he has an absolutely huge talent.

17. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I was surprised at the 1D fans on twitter who are saying this sounds just like 1D. I'm not like an avid fan or anything but from what I've heard it's not even close.

18. Meerkat

Yeah for everything that can be said about the three tracks, that is not one of them haha

19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I liked the new song immediately. The only one I don't like so far is that ballad. I think "Pretty standard but catchy" sums up my expectations for this album. It'll be predictable and standard and offer nothing new or interesting to the genre but it'll be catchy enough and I like his voice enough that I'll probably like it okay but I won't be adding it to an aoty list or hyping it or anything.

20. Sophos

Regular

i mean even you yourself have prefaced your posts with "i know this isnt groundbreaking but...." surely you cant be surprised people are reacting negatively to something they perceive (myself 100% included) as exceedingly vanilla and by the numbers

schlotty likes this.
  21. Sophos

Regular

i mean yeah the new song sounds like it could've been on the last disclosure album. the last disclosure album was very mediocre and a massive disappointment from a duo that used to actually explore new territory in dance music

22. beachdude

Alright fair. I can get that different music listeners prioritize different elements of music... in your guys' case it's originality. I'll drop it.

23. beachdude

24. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

It actually a genius idea to get people to see the movie.

25. beachdude

Totally unnecessary though if that actually was their goal with that casting choice... if he enhances the movie though I'm all for it. He probably will have an inconsequential bit part in any case, my initial reaction was admittedly not very thought out.