Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Zayn - Icarus Falls (December 14, 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by mattfreaksmeout, Dec 3, 2018.

1. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

The album will be 27 tracks. Released so far:
    1. Let Me
    16. Sour Diesel
    19. Entertainer
    23. Rainberry
    25. No Candle No Light (feat. Nicki Minaj)
    26. Fingers
    27. Too Much (feat. Timbaland)

He released the new song "Rainberry" along with the announcement.

beachdude likes this.
  2. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I haven't really followed him much until now but I was listening to these songs this weekend and I'm looking forward to this. Too Much is one of my favorite songs I've heard this year and Rainberry is a lot of fun too.

beachdude likes this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I actually like the newest Zayn song for what it is... but his last two songs basically sound like 1D songs. Really fucking weird.

4. beachdude

I'm very cautiously excited for this, the singles have been all over the place.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  5. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Finally someone else lmao I'm honestly pretty excited. They have definitely been all over, but I've also really liked most of them. Let Me, Sour Diesel, Rainberry, and especially Too Much I've been listening to constantly. But... there's very few artists I think need to release a 27 song album, and I can't help but feel like this is kind of a "let's throw it all out there and see what sticks so we know what direction to go in, cus we're kind of lost on what to do with this guy".

beachdude likes this.
  6. beachdude

Yep I feel pretty much the same way. I think he’s still trying to find his own artistic voice... but I do like most of the singles so far despite the lack of a cohesive identity.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I'm ok with it being a little all over the place if it helps him get there though. I'm just super curious how the end product will be.

beachdude likes this.
  8. beachdude

Yeah same. 27 songs is a LOT, I can’t imagine there not being a decent amount of filler unfortunately...

9. beachdude

Honestly I’m not that engaged by this. He could’ve easily made a good 10 to 12-track album from this, instead of just seemingly dumping all his musical ideas out there. There’s just WAY too much filler here, and the truly great tracks are too few and far between.

10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Is it out there? I'll probably just take the singles so far and any other songs I like and make a shorter version of it. I like the songs out so much that I'm already pretty satisfied.

beachdude likes this.
  11. beachdude

Yeah. Honestly I'm probably gonna do the same. It's just WAY too bloated, which I kinda anticipated, but still disappointing to see.

12. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea I'm hoping there's a handful of songs I really enjoy left and then I'll just cut it down

beachdude likes this.
  13. beachdude

There's a couple more songs which I'm pretty confident were produced by Malay, and unsurprisingly they're among the best tracks on the whole thing. "Sour Diesel" and "Stand Still" are both confirmed Malay productions, and I'm pretty sure "Icarus Interlude" is too, it has his stylistic touch. All three are near the top of my favorites list.

14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I didn't know who that was until just now, but I just looked him up and that's quite a resume. I'll keep an eye out for those for sure

beachdude likes this.
  15. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

This is exhausting to even hear once looking for the good songs

beachdude likes this.
  16. beachdude

The 4 Malay tracks are all among my favorites, no surprise there. He should’ve worked with him way more.

Overall, yeah this is just way too bloated I think. There are a lot of pretty good tracks, but the filler makes it very hard to listen to as a full album for me, considering how long it is. I see myself making a playlist of my favorite tracks and rarely ever returning to the full album.

17. beachdude

So the Malay tracks are actually track 6 “Stand Still”, and then tracks 16-18: “Sour Diesel”, “Satisfaction”, and “Scripted”. Those tracks remind me of the moments I loved on Mind of Mine, and I wish that vibe was more consistent in the rest of the album.

18. beachdude

Anyone still listening to this? I'm honestly feeling very little desire to go back to it already.

19. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I still listen but I haven’t really latched to any songs I didn’t already know yet, but I mean I don’t mind tossing it on as background noise and I’m starting to differentiate the songs haha

20. beachdude

This is pretty slick. Some of Zayn’s recent collaborations with other artists have been pretty cool... I’m hoping his next project is the one where he fully realizes his potential, which I still think is huge on his best tracks.

21. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Lmao

22. beachdude

New single Vibez dropping tomorrow, and new album Nobody Is Listening out January 15. Vibez is "out there" and is pretty dope.

23. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Like the song. I'm excited to check out the album. I still think Icarus Falls is very underrated (or at least a handful of songs on it are)

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious