Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yves Tumor - Heaven to a Tortured Mind (April 3, 2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by username, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Jim

Trusted Supporter

this is pretty great

2. username

hey you lil piss baby

I definitely miss the balance of rock and experimental electronics on Safe in the Hands of Love but he’s so good at this sound that I can’t really feel that bummed

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

For the most part, this is excellent. But Medicine Burn really grates on my ears. Only song I can't get into at this point. Getting strong Tame Impala/Unknown Mortal Orchestra vibes on the second half of the album.

4. jdr2187

jdr2187

I loved this. I will admit though that I know nothing of this artist and after a couple songs I went googling to see if this was a tv on the radio side project haha.

radiodead and wisdomfordebris like this.
  5. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This album is actually amazing and I too get tv on the radio vibes

6. radiodead

Trusted

Record is cemented in my top 3 so far this year. And it most definitely makes me miss TV on the Radio a lot. What a great band, come back plz.

It’s been a really strange year for music. I felt like the first 5-6 weeks were noticeably dry. And now the virus is pushing a lot of stuff around the calendar. But there was a very fertile 6 weeks or so in between. And my 4 favorite records are really really great.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  7. username

hey you lil piss baby

It's been an incredibly strong year for new music. I think it started early on even and just got to be more and more new releases until it peaked with last week. Next few weeks are looking quiet, I've only got 1-3 releases noted for each week and quite a few I was very excited for have been pushed but it gives more time to go back to stuff that may have slipped by with the overwhelming amount of stuff that has come. Surprisingly, this one is just barely in my top 10.

8. radiodead

Trusted

I’d be interested in what records you found in January and early Feb because I was really struggling to find stuff I loved early on this year.

Suite for Max Brown was probably the first record I loved (late Jan). And after that it was maybe Ratboys and Soccer Mommy and Alabaster DePlume. Which were all late Feb

9. jdr2187

jdr2187

Idk if these albums are of interest to you, but the big ones for me in January (excluding that awesome Jeff Parker album since you already mentioned it) would be Andy Shauf, Kiwi Jr, Destroyer, and Bonny Light Horseman.

radiodead likes this.
  10. username

hey you lil piss baby

King Krule - Man Alive!
    070 Shake - Modus Vivendi
    Beatrice Dillon - Workaround
    Destroyer - Have We Met
    Frances Quinlan - Likewise
    Against All Logic - 2017-2019
    Banoffee - Look at Us Now Dad
    Sega Bodega - Salvador
    Denzel Curry and Kenny Beats - Unlocked
    Katie Gately - Loom

First three are in my top 10 and the rest are on my loose ongoing list of favourites.

radiodead likes this.
  11. PauLo

43% Burnt

Man, this album has done the same to me as the last one did. The singles never jumped out at me, but once you hear them altogether? It works so well. And whoever mentioned the TVOTR comparison? Bang on.

I feel as if the track lengths definitely help too. They come in, give you a slap, kiss you better and then leave.

12. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

On top of everything above:

Okay Kaya - Okay Kaya
    Bonny Light Horseman - Bonny Light Horseman
    Caribou - Suddenly
    Andy Shauf - The Neon Skyline
    Katie Pruitt - Expectations
    The Orielles - Disco Volador

Definitely agree that Jan and early Feb were slow, but once valentine's day hit, so much came out.
    Also this album is amazing.

radiodead likes this.
  13. radiodead

Trusted

Caribou was a little later and that’s one of my favorite albums of the year. I also liked the Okay Kaya, Andy Schauf, Frances Quinlan and Destroyer records. King Krule has never worked for me.

I guess I meant more records that I LOVED early in the year. There was quite a bunch to listen to but nothing was totally transcendent for me for a little while.

14. radiodead

Trusted

i liked the Kiwi Jr record well enough, but I usually just end up listening to Pavement instead lol.

15. radiodead

Trusted

King Krule is an acquired taste that I just don’t have. I didn’t care for the 070 Shake record. I’ll check out Beatrice Dillon.

really liked the Quinlan and Destroyer records though. But I think they’ll probably be fringe records for me by the end of the year.

my top 10 (11) currently....

1. Waxahatchee- Saint Cloud
    2. Porridge Radio- Every Bad
    3. Yves Tumor- Heaven to a Tortured Mind
    4. U.S. Girls- Heavy Light
    5. Dogleg- Melee
    6. Soccer Mommy- color theory
    7. Empty Country- Empty Country
    8. Caribou- Suddenly
    9. Jeff Parker- Suite for Max Brown
    10. Alabaster DePlume- To Cy & Lee
    10b. Ratboys- Printers Devil

16. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

this album gets better every single listen

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

My first album by them and I am obsessed. So many vibes.

18. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Bumping this thread because more people need to hear the album.

19. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I really enjoyed this. I've listened to SITHOL a couple times and mostly liked that one as well, but this record is much more immediate and focused, imo.

radiodead and xapplexpiex like this.
  20. username

hey you lil piss baby

Apparently there’s a collaborative track with Kelsey Lu featuring Kelly Moran and Moses Boyd out on Friday.

21. PauLo

43% Burnt

Well, that's a damn interesting line up. Excited to see what that will be like.

22. username

hey you lil piss baby

Confirmed. VERY intrigued by this.

23. username

hey you lil piss baby

24. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

I did not get this at all. Maybe because it’s 6am and I can’t sleep (but I thought that would help).

25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Yeah, weird collab considering all the featured artists are excellent