Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

YouTube Removes Logan Paul From Preferred Program

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Natalie Jarvey, writing for The Hollywood Reporter:

YouTube has put its original projects with Logan Paul on hold following widespread criticism over a video he posted Dec. 31 that featured images of a suicide victim.

The Google-owned streamer announced the action 11 days after the video was first published. (Paul removed it from his channel a day after he posted it after he faced a backlash over his treatment of mental health issues.)

2. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Good. Dude is garbage.

Raku and CMilliken like this.
  3. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Yeah this guy deserves what he gets in terms of lost revenue. Totally let his place on the internet go to his head.

Raku likes this.
  4. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Can anyone give a brief summary on what he did?

5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

he's long been an exploitative clickfarming youtube star, but in particular, he went to Japan, was super disrespectful and confrontational and jackassy around various Japanese people trying to go about their day, and most notably, caught on film the corpse of a person who had presumably taken their life in the "suicide forest." he then edited this video and pushed it live, in case there was any doubt that he had plenty of time to reflect on why it would be a total piece of shit thing to do so.

this punishment is both too late and too little. he's just off the preferred program, so he's still making money off of youtube and vice versa. fuck them.

6. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

as if all that weren't enough, after the initial backlash he also put up a video apologizing, which wouldve been cool except a) it really shouldnt take widespread backlash for someone in that position to know it was a terrible idea in the first place and b) he monetized the apology video

summertimejesus and Raku like this.
  7. failinginplace

Regular

he should be permanently banned. what he did was fucking garbage, and worse than what pewdiepiepewpew did.

Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  8. failinginplace

Regular

also, im sure there's redtape and shit, but youtube should have taken these actions on DAY ONE. both youtube and this asshole made money off leaving the video up as long as they did. and youtube didn't even remove the video- logan paul did. i mean what the hell?

Raku likes this.
  9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

10. Iamhollywood315

Regular

I watched about 3 minutes of this douche bag before I had to shut it off because it was too cringu to watch. He is not funny and acts like a total asshole in another country disrespecting to the Japanese. He is an embarrassment to our country.

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

fuck this guy

12. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

so why is it that like 90% of youtube personalities are garbage? or is this a trend in entertainment in general that I just haven't picked up on.

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

i have found most youtube/vine stars/personalities absolutely insufferable, so i think it's a trend.

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

The demographic is like 13 and younger, these kids grew up with ipads glued to their faces.

Davjs and Jacob like this.
  15. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

It's because Youtube gives a platform to everyone, geniuses and jackasses alike. People are entertained by jackasses.

There's so much amazing original content on Youtube that it's unfortunate guys like this get the attention.

Turkeylegz, Jacob, Raku and 1 other person like this.
  16. Raku Jan 11, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 11, 2018)
    Raku

Regular

I've been ranting about this on twitter for the past few days XD

Anyway, I'm glad that he's finally getting consequences, but there are still issues that need to be addressed. For one, YouTube has a serious favoritism problem when it comes to their policies. Logan Paul's video was flagged multiple times, (and reported under the youtube heroes program even) YouTube manually reviewed it, and said it was okay. No age gating, or anything. Logan had to take his videos after the backlash. I'm not sure if he even has a strike (rumors are that he has one now, but eh, I don't trust youtube's words especially after their posts on twitter claiming that they "took appropriate action at the time, and are looking into further consequences")).

The other thing that concerns me is that they say "on hold", and not outright cancelled like they did with PewDiePie... Does this mean that they plan on still releasing his content? I hope not because that would piss people off, especially when you compare his situation to PDP. Then they say that they don't want this type of content to happen again. While great, YouTube tends to go draconian with their enforcing of rules, that mixed with their obvious favoritism could spell a recipe for disaster later on.

I don't know... I think the only reason Logan Paul is being punished is because of the backlash. Plus I'll be honest, I don't feel like this is enough. This is a serious matter, and Logan should be suffering a bit more than he is with this. People say it was a mistake, but I don't buy that excuse. He had to not only film it, but also edit, and review it before uploading to Youtube. If you don't have any red flags going off in your head at any point in the process, than I'm sorry... You sir/madam (logan paul) are a scumbag. Show some respect for the dead, and tact when it comes to serious matters.

So many things irk me with this situation that I can't wait for a competitor to come up, and hopefully replace YouTube. There are rumors out there that Amazon is working on its own video platform which sounds good to me. I'm just hoping they will have better practices than YouTube when it comes to their "rules and regulation" and avoidance of favoritism.

Merve, Turkeylegz and Sean Murphy like this.
  17. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Jacob Davidson and Turkeylegz like this.
  18. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

lets put all youtubers/vine into a rocket

19. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

My first thought was that Youtube is essentially the general public. Whether or not you get lucky and become popular on the site seems to be the only deciding factor.

Jacob likes this.
  20. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

YouTube does have some good content. The educational channels on there tend to be really good considering they're normally just produced by one person on their free time. Some new platforms would be sick for that kind of stuff but I can't imagine being able to compete with google.

mercury likes this.