Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

YouTube’s Support for Musicians Comes With a Catch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lucas Shaw, writing at Billboard:

In recent months, YouTube has given a handful of musicians a couple hundred thousand dollars to produce videos and promote their work on billboards, part of a larger campaign to improve the site’s relationship with the music industry.

Yet such support comes with a catch, with some musicians required to promise the won’t say negative things about YouTube, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private business transactions. Non-disparagement agreements are common in business, but YouTube’s biggest direct competitors in music don’t require them, the people said.

2. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Oh, god if I have to fucking see Stevie T’s face while driving…. The closest bridge would not be close enough…

3. Raku

Regular

Not surprised with this.

YouTube has been consistently sucking as a platform the past few years,especially since it had no real competition in years. Plus after the recent Logan Paul scandal, and demonetization of smaller channels with ToS change that caused even more drama? I was kind of expecting YouTube to pull more shady crap like this.

A better competitor can't come soon enough... I'm really hoping Amazon's plans work out, otherwise I'll keep here waiting, and wishing for a competitor to show up while YouTube continues to throw its weight around.

skogsraet and Davjs like this.
  4. heymattrick

Sending my love

Honestly if YouTube could just fix the issue with trying to search for live videos from a show, and not get 100 fake “live streams” in the results, I probably wouldn’t care about a single other thing they do.

mercury, Kingjohn_654 and Davjs like this.
  5. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

When did that start? I noticed it for the first time the other day, but it seemed to already be really invasive.

6. heymattrick

Sending my love

Oh it's been going on for at least two years. Live videos are probably 60% of what I watch on youtube and trying to find them accounts for 95% of my frustration with the platform.

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Huh. Not sure how I've missed this because I'd say the same for my youtube watching - although probably more live studio recordings than concert footage lately. It was the Shredders/Astronautalis tour that I noticed it last week, because I'd wanted to see if Astronautalis was using a DJ or just playing from his macbook - and obviously that's a pretty niche tour to have so many fake links to live streams.

8. heymattrick

Sending my love

The specific problem I have is when trying to search for recent videos, say from a band's show the previous night, and when filtering the results by "Most Recent". If you're just doing a regular search this is not likely a problem.

9. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

youtube has rapidly become one of, like, the shittiest websites.

mercury, Raku and skogsraet like this.
  10. Raku

Regular

Speaking of YouTube's livestreams I've noticed that they aren't as stable as Twitch when it comes to connectivity. What I mean by this is that my current computer is having problems where I'm frequently disconnecting from the net (It's from 2011, and old. I'm getting a new one soon). Twitch, I can watch a stream no problem. Sure, if I stay disconnected long enough or too often, Twitch will be like, "Okay, you lost connection, buddy"

YouTube just randomly gives you an error screen (which is like as soon as you lose connection for like a millisecond) on the video/stream itself causing you to reload the page. Plus the annoying thing (and this is an issue with the YouTube player itself) is that you can't simply click the play button (or pause button) to make the video restart (like you can twitch), but you also can't right click to reload that frame like you can with other video players (like Twitter's video). The only exception is when you embed a video onto another website.