Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Your parents music taste

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Feb 18, 2019.

1. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought it would be interesting to make a thread to discuss our parents music tastes, music that both you and your parents like (and also shows you have attended together), as well as any cool stories they have of meeting musicians or going to shows back in the day. Also, did your parents music taste influence the music you ended up becoming a fan of?

My mom is a Bruce Springsteen fan and now likes current musicians like Adele and Lady Gaga. My dad likes The Rolling Stones, Eurythmics, Fleetwood Mac, Elvis, Al Green, and Frank Sinatra to name a few.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Not just my parents, but my entire family completely shaped my love for music at an early age.

My earliest memories of listening to music are The Beatles. My dad always has been obsessed with them. I remember my dad singing Rocky Raccoon to me every night at bedtime when I was 4, 5 years-old. My parents are both huge music people...aside from The Beatles, they listen to pretty much all the standard classic 60/70s stuff (The Doors, Janis Joplin, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Clapton, Neil Young, Dylan, Billy Joel, etc)

My parents took me to see R.E.M when I was 8 or 9 years-old. That was my first concert. The first two CDs my mom bought me when I was 6 or 7 was the Young Guns II soundtrack (which was all Bon Jovi, haha) and Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion II (which I think my dad later took away from me :)

Even with my sisters growing up, I was always around music. My oldest sister is 6 years older than me, so even when I was like 6, 7 years-old, I was listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and all the 90s grunge stuff. I always say, when I was in elementary school, I feel like I was the only one who really knew or cared about music among my peers. Now that I'm older I've gotten my sisters into a bunch of the stuff I started listening to in my 20s. I go to quite a few concerts with them every year.

My mom has always been into the music that I've been into...I've taken her to several concerts (Panic! at the Disco 3x, Fun, Yellowcard) and my dad maybe likes 25% of what I listen to but was really big on Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst. He's much harder to impress (or just more stubborn).

3. emojedi

Trusted

U2 is one of my favourite bands.

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

My dad got me started on The Offspring and Blink-182 at a very young age.

One of my Mom's favorite songs is "Teenagers" by My Chemical Romance.

My parents are cool.

5. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

My mom got me into Fleetwood Mac and a lot of the early 90's Lilith Fair acts when I was younger.

Now all they listen to is Christian rock stations, so I have zero idea what their taste is now.

6. My dad's favorite band is The Beach Boys. He's also a huge Ramones fans, and a big fan of old doo wop music too. He also loves Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and The Vandals. He took me to Warped Tour 2001 so he could see both of those bands. He also took me to see Blink 182 the first time, during the Mark, Tom, and Travis Show tour.

My mom likes a lot of country music. Current and older stuff. She loves showing me country stuff she's into and saying "Your band should try writing something like this" and she's dead serious, haha. She also likes telling me I should do my hair like Keith Urban. My mom and I don't really see eye to eye on too much music... haha.

JRGComedy likes this.
  7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

My dad listens to more music than my mom. He's a huge Billy Joel fan, so I've always had a soft spot for him, and then pretty much like a lot of the pop rock classics, moreso even than classic rock. It was always Billy, Elton John, Queen, Hall & Oates kind of stuff more than Zeppelin or Guns N Roses or anything like that, which I guess probably influenced me cus I love a catchy tune. My dad is a greatest hits kind of guy so a lot of artists I had to dive further into myself based on the songs he would play that I liked.

We also listened to a lot of country radio when I was growing up, so all the country hits of the aughts hit a spot with me. Love me some Shania Twain, Brad Paisley, I don't even know, just a bunch of that.

My parents have generally been pretty open to the music I listen to. They know it's important so they will take an interest (especially when i was in high school and stuff). They always liked Motion City Soundtrack when I listened to them, and I also got them really into fun./Nate Ruess. I burned them some copies and they're always playing them in the car. The only thing they never liked was anything with screaming in it.

My Dad took me to some of my first few concerts. He went to Chiodos at a tiny little venue (bless his soul), Every Avenue/The Summer Set (he enjoyed that one), and both my parents took me to Motion City Soundtrack playing an acoustic show in a Best Buy.

As a family, we've seen Billy Joel twice, Nate Ruess, Brad Paisley, and we're going to Carrie Underwood later this year. We also went to NSYNC and American Idol Live the year Carrie won.

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

My tastes mostly came from my older brother. Music w/ my parents wasn't really that big a thing growing up.

The sentimental thing I have on that note is my mom listening to the Gaithers gospel specials on TV on Saturdays while making pizza. I'd take pieces of cheese & pepperoni & watch some of the Gaithers. I don't typically listen to straight up gospel of that kind on my own or anything, but when I hear songs like that, they still feel like home. Only other thing I recall is her liking a couple Taylor Swift songs.

My rural white working class dad is mainly into country. Old school stuff, of course. Their mix of faith and struggle is pretty perfectly my dad. Other things have come up here & there, too, though. I know he likes the Moody Blues song "Nights in White Satin." And, randomly, I for some reason remember him saying he heard that Pink song "Perfect" on the radio & liking it.

Like I said, my brother getting me into 90s Christian pop (dc Talk is still my fav), 00s Christian rock, & Linkin Park, etc., is mainly what started my own personal music journey. But, while my parents' taste never really influenced mine, and I've had few conversations about shared likes over the years... What I know of my parents & music does still add life to how I think of them.

9. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

My mom is a huge Dead-head but she made a very conscious decision when I was growing up not to listen to a lot of her music around me so that I would develop my own taste. I seriously am so grateful for that.

That being said, she likes pretty good modern music too. Her faves are Beck and Cake, we’ve seen both of them together. I also took her to a Joyce Manor show for my 24th birthday lol and she was surprisingly into it! She did NOT like The Hotelier at that same show though. :P