Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Your Media Business Will Not Be Saved

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot Apr 25, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2016)
    Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Joshua Topolsky, writing on Medium, about the struggles the media industry now faces:

A second thing happened alongside those foundational publishing challenges: this industry which had controlled its ability to reach a populace through ownership of things like printing presses began to cede its power in the delivery and distribution process to other people. People who didn’t care about or understand the media business. People who told them the answer wasn’t the best of something, it was the most of something.

Partially this was done out of fear, but mostly it was done out of ignorance.

Obviously this is a topic near and dear to my heart. It’s why I’m trying something different with this website. And, well, this first month has been a rollercoaster. So far we’ve had one of the biggest unique visitor months a website I’ve run has seen in quite a while, we’re going to go past 4.5 million pageviews, our time on site and retention numbers have been fantastic, and a few hundred have already signed up to support this website, the content we are putting out, and the community we’ve been building. I’ve heard a lot of positive feedback from our sponsors and advertisers about the new model we’re trying out and they seem to be loving the exposure they’re seeing. I’ve heard from a lot of members that love how fast the site loads, love how quickly they can find what they are looking for, and have enjoyed our features, community, and even the advertisements themselves. But mostly they seem as excited as I am about the course we’re headed down.

Is this going to work long-term? I’m still not sure. But it’s a start. I hope we’re making the “good shit” that Topolsky writes about here. I think we are. There’s still a very long road to self-sustainability, but this time I at least feel like we’re in the right vehicle and it’s pointed in the right direction.

Christian Romero likes this.
  2. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Great read! When chorus.fm was just Jason Tate's blog, I keep checking in every weekend to read articles like this that he shared.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Just wanted to say @Jason Tate that the new site has been a great experience so far. Keep up the awesome work.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

"Your problem is that you make shit. A lot of shit. Cheap shit. And no one cares about you or your cheap shit. And an increasingly aware, connected, and mutable audience is onto your cheap shit. They don’t want your cheap shit. They want the good shit. And they will go to find it somewhere. Hell, they’ll even pay for it."

I laughed out loud at this, but it hits the nail on the head. Don't pander to me, no I won't turn off my adblock to view your site - I'll go elsewhere, if it I am trying to read something and crap keeps loading and moving the page - I'll go elsewhere, if your content is hidden in a slew of ads - I'll go elsewhere, etc.

It is why I will support a site like this, where the intention is to create quality content and build a community. I understand the nature of the business may require an ad here or there, but Jason, you are proving it can be done in a tasteful and respectful manner.

5. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

@Jason Tate - the link here is broken for me.

excited to check out the article, though.

6. Thanks so much! I'm still posting a few things like that on the "blog" of the new site: Jason Tate • Blog and Author Page at chorus.fm.

And I plan to start bringing more of it to the homepage as well! I enjoyed sharing those kinds of articles and offering some commentary on them each weekend.

Thank you! I really, really appreciate hearing that.

Thank you! I appreciate your support so much and can't thank you enough.