Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Your Favorite Records (that underwhelmed you)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Lucas27, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

Any of you guys have a favorite record or two (or three) that initially underwhelmed you?

Able Bodies
    by From Indian Lakes comes to my mind immediately. First time I listened I honestly didn't think it was anything special. Nothing remotely stuck out to me. Now it's become one of my favorite records of all time and I wonder why I didn't see the genius of it first time around.

2. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Is This It by The Strokes is probably the biggest example for me. Thought it was really boring the first few times I heard it but I love it now. If it didn't have that "classic" status though I probably wouldn't have bothered giving it another chance.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

not a record per se but Björk Tom Waits and Radiohead all took some getting used to vocals wise

4. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Haim took me way too long to get into, but now Days Are Gone became one of my favorites from that year.

5. Horrorca

Trusted

I dismissed Interpol's Our Love to Admire at first, and now it's my favorite (although not their objectively best/most important)

6. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Cope, Panic Stations, Bloodflowers

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

Couldn't get into Converge because of Jake Bannon's vocals. Took years. Love them now

8. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

So many....where do I start? Some notable ones off the top of my head:

The Dangerous Summer - Reach for the Sun
    Bon Iver - BI, BI
    One Direction - Four
    The 1975 - The 1975
    Transit - Listen and Forgive
    Yellowcard - Paper Walls
    Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
    Taylor Swift - Red
    Jon Hopkins - Immunity
    Deafheaven - Sunbather

So basically, many of my favorite albums from the last 5-10 years. In each case, I'm eternally thankful that I took the time to listen more, trying to "get it", instead of just giving up.

There are probably a lot more that are escaping me right now. Also, great topic.

Lucas27 likes this.
  9. Lucas27

Trusted

The Everglow by Mae is another. Had no idea why the record was so hyped when I first heard it. It just seemed like a by-the-numbers alternative rock record. Then the subtle brilliance of it suddenly hit me and I would consider it a top 20 album of all-time.

10. Lucas27

Trusted

11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Kamelot - Epica
    Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
    Say Anything - Is a Real Boy
    Frank Turner - Love, Ire & Song
    The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace is There

Lucas27 likes this.
  12. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don't think I loved any of my current favorite albums on first listen

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm usually pretty good at knowing right away what albums are going to be favorites. All of my top albums from the last few years (Ledges, Afraid of Ghosts, Southeastern, etc.) were very, very immediate for me. With that said, it does still happen from time to time that an album/artist does nothing for me at first and later becomes a favorite. Probably most notably, it took me a little while to really appreciate The '59 Sound and American Slang, and The Gaslight Anthem/Brian Fallon are probably top 15/20 artists for me now.

14. JM95

Trusted

Same here.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Pet Sounds

sawhney[rusted]2 and JRGComedy like this.
  16. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

First one off the top of my head would be Agent Fresco's Destrier. That album disappointed the shit out of me at first and now I'll kill anyone who dare speaks ill of it.

17. JM95

Trusted

Great band, great album.

18. Lucas27

Trusted

You forgot one, SpyKi:

Anberlin - Dark is the Way, Light is a Place

;-)

SpyKi likes this.
  19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Let's start a new list: Your Favorite Records That Underwhelmed SpyKi.

Mine would be long.

Craig Manning and SpyKi like this.
  20. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Haha. I'm sure everyone would have a decent sized list. I'm bad at music.

FTank likes this.
  21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

22. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Kanye.