Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Young The Giant - Home Of The Strange Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Apr 14, 2016.

1. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

damn Elsewhere is so sick
    this album is groovy

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

This album's solid, immediately like it more than the last. "Titus Was Born" an early standout

3. RoKKeR

The Fly

So happy this album is finally out! Love these guys.

I absolutely love Mr. Know-it-all.

4. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

Wow!! This album is super solid! I was somewhat looking forward to this after the last album which I thought was meh... but this just climbed to the top of my AOTY list. Flows really well too I hit start and next thing you know it's over and I gotta hit play again.

5. angel paste

yeah actually enjoyed every track a lot on this, they do a really good job of keeping every song engaging all the way through. Some of the ideas are so whacky too and the production is really sick. The snares on this album are fat af

6. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Damn, I think they released all my favourite tracks first. I wish bands would stop releasing half an album beforehand.

RoKKeR and whitenblue88 like this.
  7. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This is really good

8. RoKKeR

The Fly

Yeah, no idea why they released so much of this album. They should have stopped after releasing Titus Was Born, which I think is definitely the best song on the record.

My current non-signal favorites are Mr. Know-It-All and Nothing's Over. Love these two. Also really digging the more direct sound on this album, along with a greater focus on the groove and rhythm than we've seen in the past.

This thread/album/band needs more love!

9. indecipherable

levitate levitate levitate levitate Prestigious

Stuff like that is why I stopped listening to singles before an album.

10. Mr. Serotonin

Yep, totally agree about Titus Was Born being the standout

11. fixius

Regular Supporter

I feel like I'm in the minority of those who love Mind Over Matter. On my first few listens I think I prefer that to Home of the Strange, but I don't ever see me not enjoying new music from them.

carina likes this.
  12. angel paste

the lyrics on mind over matter are so bad, he really stepped up his game on this record.

13. Mr. Serotonin

Really? Like what songs/lines? The lyrics are something i thought were always pretty strong

14. RoKKeR

The Fly

I do like that album, but it is 2 songs too long. I was listening with my brother the other week and we agreed that deleting Crystalized and one other song would do it wonders.

15. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

I agree 100%. I like Crystalized and I like Mind Over Matter, but they sound so similar to me that I really don't like them back to back on the album.

16. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

So far, so good. I really, really like the front half of this. "Art Exhibit" is very cool too -- definitely the highlight for me of the songs I hadn't already heard.

Only complaint is that I could do without "Silvertongue". That song doesn't do anything for me.

17. angel paste

they're just pretty generic and familiar... don't really have a strong message...

"And if the world don't break
    I'll be shakin' it
    Cause I'm a young man after all
    And when the seasons change
    Will you stand by me?
    Cause I'm a young man built to fall"

ugh

"Look in my eyes
    This is just the reason why I stay
    I know there are things we shouldn't say
    Blame it on the reason why I came
    Maybe cause I couldn't feel the
    Pain"

come on this is just recycled ballad lyrics

plus that stupid truman show line in it's about time

18. fixius

Regular Supporter

I think the biggest misstep on the album is having Firelight and Camera back to back. I like both songs, but back to back ballads probably never should have happened. They played back to back ballads as well when I saw them live last year and I could practically feel the energy leaving the room.

19. RoKKeR

The Fly

Yep, agreed there. And especially coming off of 4 tracks with practically the same tempo and very similar sounds... very poor track placement.

Man, I keep hitting repeat on Mr. Know It All. So good.

20. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Underwhelmed sadly after my first listen.

21. RoKKeR

The Fly

3 favorites:

Mr. Know-It-All, Titus Was Born, Nothing's Over

Silvertongue has grown on me, and I'm a quite like Repeat as well. Really happy with this album.

22. angel paste

Mr Know It All is the shit

RoKKeR likes this.
  23. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Impression after 2 listens: I'm very glad this album exists and I will give it many more listens, but I don't love it near as much as I love Mind Over Matter. Fight me.

24. RoKKeR

The Fly

Saw these guys in Nashville on Thursday, was really damn good. Got tour debuts of Elsewhere, Nothing's Over, and Art Exhibit. They also had Brandon Benson up on stage and they played Steady as She Goes, which was awesome.

I loved that they were willing to just let the groove roll on a few of their songs in a live setting. In Eros and Nothing's Over especially, they sit in that groove and just riff for a few minutes and I love it.

25. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

RoKKeR, DejaMoi and Mr. Serotonin like this.