Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

You Were Never Really Here (Lynne Ramsay, April 6,2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 30, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Aug 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 30, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

PLOT: A missing teenage girl. A brutal and tormented enforcer on a rescue mission. Corrupt power and vengeance unleash a storm of violence that may lead to his awakening.
    CAST: Joaquin Phoenix, Ekaterina Samsonov, Alessandro Nivola
    based on the Jonathan Ames novella

2. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

The book is good. Very quick read.

3. Looks good. Just looked up the director and noticed she did We Need To Talk About Kevin. That movie fucked me up.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 6, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

jkauf likes this.
  5. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is playing while I’m in Barcelona all week. Definitely going to catch it one night.

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Wow, this is dark. Ruthless and incessantly devastating. Phoenix is obviously fantastic, it's one of his more meditative post-comeback performances. Can't recall the last film that gripped me so hard from start to finish.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

bradsonemanband likes this.
  8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

yes

9. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

very excited for this and jonny's score. he's got two oscar contenders this year with this and boy erased

10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

This was really good.

11. This was good. Phoenix is great as expected. The movie subverts a lot of what you'd expect from a movie with this premise, but I guess you wouldn't expect conventional from Lynne Ramsay. It's more focused on the character than the violence, and yet it's still so brutal.

suicidesaints likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Joaquin Phoenix was so perfectly cast in this and Jonny Greenwood is so good at scoring movies

coleslawed and suicidesaints like this.
  13. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

gonna see this saturday

14. Morrissey

Trusted

It has a lot of the worst traits of trendy Sundance films; violence juxtaposed with sunny pop music, an intentional lack of plot in order to try to mimic genre film, a cartoonishly masculine figure with a soft side just beneath the surface. It feels a lot like Drive, and this sort of icy remove from narrative makes it hard to care very much about something as serious as an underground child sex ring run by prominent government figures. Of course, Ramsay does not actually care about that part of the plot, but people distrust the government and powerful people do shady things, so she knows that the audience will fill in the blanks for her. The death of the mother is supposed to be important, but little was done to make us really care about her; Ramsay again relies on you to substitute your own relationship with your mother.

We Need to Talk About Kevin is one of the worst movies of the last decade, so in comparison this film is a great improvement. It is shot quite beautifully, and the cuts to avoid direct violence is a welcome relief to the intentional audience torture of the aforementioned Drive and Only God Forgives. It would be better if that style was in the service of something substantive, though.

15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed this. Beautifully shot, well paced, well acted. A relatively simple plot, but there was enough there to keep things interesting as the film progressed. The violence of the story was handled quite brilliantly, particularly in the climax.

The score was fantastic. When Greenwood's name appeared in the credits it I immediately went "ahh, yep, that makes sense".

16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I disagree with you a little here. While it's true there isn't much to the character of the mother herself, I found the relationship was well established. Interactions like the "gotcha" joke or staying a little longer as she dozes off and details like taking the glasses off when she's sleeping were small but effective.

17. Fronnyfron

Woke Up Right Handed Prestigious

Highly recommend

18. Watched this last night and I honestly can't stop thinking about it. Such a visceral, emotional film. Might be my favorite of last year

SpyKi likes this.
  19. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Finally got around to this and I'm shocked at how well received this was. I didn't hate it, but that's mainly because it was so shallow and plodding that hating it would be an active response. It simply existed, I watched it, and it will just pass with no lasting impressions on me. Very disappointed in this one.

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I know you don't like Drive, but this movie made me think of it a lot as well. I love Drive primarily because it's style over substance and I enjoy the style it has. This movie was no style and no substance. This is the first movie in a long time where I'm flummoxed that people love it as much as they do. Usually I can see what people like in something and simply disagree, but I feel like there's nothing here.

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

god dammit, i need to see this already

22. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Just watched this and it was okay I guess?

23. Lucas27

Trusted

Watched this a couple nights ago. I need to watch again, but it might just be one of my favorite movies after one watch. It blew me away that much and I'm still in shock over how much it moved me.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. iCarly Rae Jepsen