Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

You May Not Know Jack Antonoff. But You Probably Love His Music.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 25, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Joe Coscarelli, who has been getting all the great interviews at The New York Times, sat down with Jack Antonoff to talk about the upcoming Bleachers album:

But his aversion wasn’t to stardom, or even the burden of a megahit, which he still openly chases as a go-to producer and songwriter for those on the pop A-list, like Lorde and Taylor Swift. The problem was that Fun. was merely something Mr. Antonoff was a part of, he explained recently at his home studio in Brooklyn; he needed the music he made to be a part of him.

2. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'll forever be curious as to how (much more) world consuming Fun would have been if they followed up on Some Nights. Especially with Jack's phenomenal output with Bleachers.

Regardless, Bleachers is legitimately great. Hard to think of an artist, I guess Eric Clapton is a fitting parallel, that has gone on to such heights after leaving such a massive band. But even Clapton didn't catch fire as quickly as Bleachers did.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I honestly can see Bleachers getting as big as fun. and even surpassing them. These songs are begging to be played in arenas and festivals across the country.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I love Jack Antonoff and his music.

5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

It seemed apparent to me that Jack was the primary songwriter for Fun. after hearing the Nate Ruess solo record and then the Bleachers record. I'm sure Nate contributed...but Jack seems like the mastermind.

6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Nate doesn't play an instrument, so he only comes up with the vocal melody/lyrics/idea of the song in his head. So in essence yes, Nate works based with a partner who understands that dynamic (Sam Means, Jack). But let's not undercut Andrew's contributions that the band either. I'm honestly not sure how writing contributions were broken down between Jack/Andrew, but I doubt he was just sitting around, and the piano parts on those albums are one of my favorite things about the band.

Kingjohn_654, Zilla and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. Mr. Serotonin

You're right, I didn't mean to leave him out.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

It's wild that it's only been two years since they officially announced their hiatus. Seems so much longer, but it sure doesn't seem like they're getting together anytime soon.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Not to mention Jeff Bhasker on "Some Nights" and Steven McDonald on "Dog Problems"/"Aim and Ignite."

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Also, I think between Bleachers and Jack's pursuits in producing, we're more likely to see a The Format reunion before fun ever gets back together.

Kingjohn_654 and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  11. He produced Grand Romantic too.

And Emile Haynie co-wrote a lot of that album. I think Dost is on a couple of those songs too. And Josh Klinghoffer worked on "Ahha" I believe.

coleslawed likes this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Of course. I was just speaking about the overall sonic vision of the album. I have no doubt there were many people that contributed.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

I miss Steel Train.

14. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I didn't even notice fun. had gone anywhere

15. Mr. Serotonin

Yep. They were a huge part of it for sure.

16. Mr. Serotonin

Did you like Great Romantic?

17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I was thinking about fun. the other day and how they just stopped right when they were blowing up. Some Nights came out half a decade ago. Feels like such a missed opportunity to me, but I guess maybe we wouldn't have gotten Bleachers if they'd just gone right back into the studio and made another record.

18. Mr. Serotonin likes this.