Yesterday (Danny Boyle, June 28,2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Feb 12, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I'm a mouse duh Supporter

2. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This sounds really cool.

4. Totally in on this one.

5. CarpetElf

kill all birds Prestigious

This is....a weird concept haha

Joe4th likes this.
  6. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This looks fantastic. Fun concept. I'm in.

I know a lot of people find Danny Boyle hit or miss, but I love that he's almost never making the same thing twice.

7. Anna Acosta

Listen to Staircase Spirits. Moderator

I'm very excited for this.

8. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

This could be great or awful but I’m definitely here for it.

9. EASheartsVinyl

Trusted

This sounds WEIRD. I’m not big on Danny Boyle, but I love Richard Curtis, even if I can predict how this entire thing plays out solely on his name being attached.

Really interesting choice to not mention About Time in any of the promo since it’s definitely the closest movie to this in his body of work and has the same producers.

Also shoutout to Hey Dude, I loved that show!

10. Dog with a Blog

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve had this fantasy so many times haha. Here for it

trevorshmevor likes this.
  11. Serh

@TiredOfSeth Prestigious

12. Serh

@TiredOfSeth Prestigious

Nothing for Boston yet...

13. Serh Jun 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2019)
    Serh

@TiredOfSeth Prestigious

This was ok. It definitely hits plenty of Beatles notes. Only big issue I had was how distracting they made Kate McKinnon at times

14. Serh

@TiredOfSeth Prestigious

Did get a good (unintentional) laugh out of Ed Sheeran saying something along the lines of "I knew one day I'd come across another artist that's greater than I am"

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'm torn on this. I like Danny Boyle mostly, and I love the Beatles, but the premise just seems incredibly ridiculous.

I'm gonna try to go see it Thursday night with A-List though. Not sure what to expect.

16. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Supporter

My wife and I are going to see this later today - looking forward to it!

17. Dog with a Blog

Prestigious Prestigious

This was just ok but still enjoyable enough. It sorta ended in the same way I end my papers that are due and I only have an hour to wrap em up. Also, bummed the scenes with Ana de Armas were cut.

riotspray and bachna84 like this.
  18. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Kate McKinnon was too much, and the movie felt long towards the end, but it was enjoyable and a good excuse to revisit some great Beatles songs. Great summer movie.

bachna84 likes this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I love Kate McKinnon but I feel like directors think she’s a cartoon character. She’s a lot better than that.

Also, this isn’t really a complaint but was anyone else distracted by the fact that John Lennon had a Scottish accent? Haha

bachna84 likes this.
  20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I'm a mouse duh Supporter

I can't believe there is a romcom with references to Neutral Milk Hotel and Pulp now
    Debra really thought Jack was too ugly to be a popstar when she was managing Ed fucking Sheeran
    there's no way the Beatles existing wouldn't cause a ripple effect, the Oasis joke was great but Coldplay, The Killers, Ed Sheeran etc existing without The Beatles seems unlikely
    I can't believe they tried to pretend like Lily James is ordinary and mousy

riotspray and Maybevictor like this.
  21. EASheartsVinyl

Trusted

What is the context of the NMH reference in this of all things?!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

one of his friends said it’s annoying when music snobs don’t believe you don’t know an obscure band like NMH (in response to him being amazed they didn’t know the Beatles)

23. EASheartsVinyl

Trusted

Make this movie again but instead he’s just playing ITAOTS to a bunch of very confused people.

24. Morrissey

Trusted

25. koryoreo

Trusted

Thought this was OK,but it was 15-20 min too long and wish it had more/better music scenes. Maybe its because Rocketman recently came out and shits all over this movie as far as musical magic goes, but I was expecting something more from the music in this movie.

Loved all of the music industry jokes though and the dad, roadie and ED Sheeran were all highly enjoyable in this.