Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Band • Page 210

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 17, 2016.

1. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Can’t believe it has been five years now since they announced their breakup. Time really flies, man. Damn.

danielm123 and pbueddi like this.
  2. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve been trying to collect their back catalog for vinyl and have actually made some progress. Only missing One For The Kids, The Underdog EP, Lights and Sounds, and Paper Walls.

3. I was trying to sell One For The Kids for at least a couple years on here until I finally sold it to someone just a few months ago. I would have hooked you up!

Kyle Max likes this.
  4. PolarBlare

Regular Supporter

Been listening to the Big If demos over the past couple days and I really wish they’d done more with this project. Besides the fact that the unreleased songs are incredible (Triple Please, You Went Gold, Temp Job, Always Almost), some of the ones that did ultimately get released just don’t have the same energy as these demos.

All in all, I prefer the Big If version of Empty Street to the Yellowcard version, and I also like the demos of Monster and Bunny and Me better than the versions that got released. The buildup at the end of Bunny and Me may be my favorite thing from Big If, and turning Monster into a straightahead rock song lost some of its emotional weight for me. I love these demos though, I even think an album of just Big If songs could have cracked my top 3 Yellowcard records.

5. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Totally agree with everything here. I love those songs and really wish they got full production treatment or were even available on streaming. Really a shame.

Ellamamama, .K. and PolarBlare like this.
  6. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

That tattoo is wack lol

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I enjoyed those Big If… songs and it would have been cool if they got formally released. I do think it’s cool some of those songs got released as Yellowcard songs and I have no idea how Triple Please never got released on a pre Lift The Sail album.

PolarBlare, danielm123 and earthlight like this.
  8. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Triple Please is *so* good. Still blows my mind that it didn’t get on a record.

PolarBlare, danielm123 and .K. like this.
  9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

it sounds sooooooo Yellowcard and would have been a fan favourite and even has a single vibe.

PolarBlare likes this.
  10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Petition to change the national anthem to “Ocean Avenue” on July 4th

11. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

It is the national anthem, i’m confused

PolarBlare and David Parke like this.
  12. pbueddi

Trusted

not ocean avenue, but still relevant :crylaugh:

13. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I think he is doing a white ink sleeve over the blacked out arm. Def not my thing either, but I don’t think it’s going to just be a black sleeve.

14. Jusscali

How many tats did he have that he hated that much!?

15. Who cares it’s not your arm

earthlight, RJ Knorr and morken like this.
  16. Jusscali

Oh that makes more sense - I’ve never seen anything like that

17. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

He was on Mike Herrera’s podcast recently and was talking about the decision to black it out and their plans to do the white ink stuff. Not really my thing at all, but more power to him haha.

18. Vox Populi

I thought I was the only one! I agree with everything you said. It's strange- I loved the Big If version of Empty Street, but something about the mix of the Yellowcard version just really didn't sit right with me and I have a hard time listening to it. I wonder how I'd feel about it had I never heard the Big If version though.

I was really surprised O'Donnell changed the ending to Bunny and Me so dramatically- the original ripped so hard. Loved his solo album though overall.

earthlight and PolarBlare like this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

They lowered the tuning for the re-recording. Same goes for almost all of the album.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from some major music producers, lower tuning takes away the emotion and passion if not done appropriately or with the right song.

earthlight, PolarBlare and Vox Populi like this.
  20. PolarBlare

Regular Supporter

It definitely lost some energy from downtuning to drop C, both in the lead guitar and Ryan’s vocal, which both feel more relaxed on the Yellowcard version. I also think that all the reversed instruments that meshed it into the self-titled soundscape may take away some of the urgency. It’s not as raw.

21. danielm123

Trusted

I don't know, I've always felt that the lower tuning hit much harder whenever it came in after The Hurt Is Gone. More resonant for me, in a sense

Elder Lightning likes this.
  22. Vox Populi

I feel like "Shrink the World" has one of the catchiest choruses in all of Yellowcard's catalog, and doesn't get a lot of love. Been listening to Paper Walls for the first time in a while and wow does it still sound so crisp. My favorite album from them.

23. drummerAVA

Trusted

Always liked that song a lot yeah, agreed…

24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So many great songs. Can’t imagine how tough it was a to pick a single from some of their records.

25. PolarBlare

Regular Supporter

As for PW songs I feel the same way about Afraid

sawhney[rusted]2, .K. and Vox Populi like this.