Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Band • Page 182

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 17, 2016.

1. I find it a tad funny this is what it took for people to see musical copyrights as bad and the lawyers leading the cases as bottom feeders. :crylaugh:

2. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Oh, I've always felt that way, it just hits a little closer to home because it's a musician who I listen to for once. That, and you don't typically see these musicians suing the recently deceased

3. Allhailburnzy

Trusted Supporter

This is absolutely dissapointing as someone who has always loved their music. The two songs barely sound alike and I thought the dudes in the band were better than this

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah this isn't the first time I felt this way at all, it's the circumstances now that make it even worse

5. They’re probably gonna win the lawsuit too. Their lawyer is *the guy* for these cases.

glad to have more on my “fuck copyrights” train

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Get ready to never see positive comments about them on the internet outside of this place again. I'm picturing this to be like the Vic Mensa/X situation

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

8. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

The whole thing reflects terribly on the band,
    though. That’s the most disappointing thing for me. Yellowcard is my favorite band. Fuck copyrights, yes, but I find it really hard to defend what Yellowcard is doing here especially after his death.

9. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Just took a glance at social media and, well...it’s a war zone out there for them.

10. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

11. I mean, I guess I can understand that perspective, but I'm the kinda guy that had people create fake websites stealing my content in the past, and have had people sell my logo on stuff, and I've never hired a lawyer to fight it because I really don't like working with lawyers and would never find that time and effort worth it. But if you were someone that did want to defend something you believed was copyrighted, and someone made way more money than some shitty online website selling my AP.net heart, I suppose I can kinda understand the thought process here.

However, what I don't find myself doing is thinking it does anything to the band's music or legacy. They're done; from everything I've heard for quite a while now, they're not coming back. Those albums all exist completely outside of a lawsuit, and the band had so many members and not even all of them are involved; just the songwriters. And the online reaction (scroll through some of the band's mentions) has gone all the way to death threats from people. I find all of that to be utterly ridiculous.

In the end ... do the songs share similarities? In my uneducated, my wive's very educated, and other musicologists I've read a little from, and then knowing who this lawyer is? Yeah, I think they do and have a case. A big part of that is because our system is extremely litigious and lawyers do what lawyers do. I guess I just can't really get myself that worked up over copyright laws anymore, and them being enforced or not, because I've never liked them (explained in detail in the past) and have spent like ten years now advocating to go so far as flat out outlawing things like patents. :shrug:

CAC3, JamesMichael, morken and 4 others like this.
  12. abcdefg123

Regular

Yeah, Sting already owns 85% of the royalties from "Lucid Dreams" so i'm not even sure how much Yellowcard could really get anyway. This is stupid. They should drop this shit.

supernovagirl likes this.
  13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I'm honestly surprised so many people are SO upset about this. I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

Jusscali, .K. and supernovagirl like this.
  14. irthesteve

do we know which specific members are involved in the suit?

15. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Worse than I thought.
    Key, Mackin, LP and Pete Mosely

supernovagirl likes this.
  16. irthesteve

I was going to "like" this as a sign that I read your message, but "Like" certainly isn't what I want to do. I need an "acknowledge post" button here

David Parke and supernovagirl like this.
  17. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

lol that’s where I’m at ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  18. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

“First of all, we were as shocked and saddened by Juice WRLD’s death as everyone else. It is a tragic loss to his family, his fans, and to the music world at large, and we understand why people may be confused about the decision to continue with this lawsuit,” Busch’s King & Fallow law firm said in a statement to Billboard Wednesday following news of Yellowcard’s plan to proceed with the lawsuit.“My clients are certainly torn about proceeding, and understand the optics involved. But it is important to remember that this lawsuit was filed before this tragic event, and was filed because all of the defendants (and there are two other writers and several music publishers and record labels), profited off of what we believe was clear copying and infringement of Yellowcard’s work.”

King & Fallow continued, “So while they are absolutely aware of how this may be perceived, and truly have incredible mixed emotions, the question is whether it is fair that all of those many parties profited, and will continue to profit, off of what my client’s believe strongly was their work.”

https://e-news.us/yellowcard-torn-but-proceeding-with-juice-wrld-lucid-dreams-lawsuit/

.K. likes this.
  19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

earthlight and Jason Tate like this.
  20. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

drummerAVA and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  21. drummerAVA

Trusted

I was out in downtown Orlando about a month and a half ago, with some old work buddies and the DJ played Ocean Avenue sped up a little... it was like right at that point of the night where everyone (and everything) is starting to get kinda lit lol...

The whole place was going nuts. Good vibes.

supernovagirl and David Parke like this.
  22. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Good video.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  23. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

They continue to get shredded out there.

24. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Can’t imagine this is great for Ryan Keys solo career either

RyanPm40 likes this.
  25. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

In the event that they win the suit is it not then somewhat at least somewhat justified? I'm not really on either side of the debate, just curious as to how others feel...