Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Band • Page 180

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 17, 2016.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I really can't hear the similarities between that song and Hollywood Died. Now I'm mad I listened to this awful song lol

2. danielm123

Trusted

I actually kind of like the song (Lucid Dreams). Don't here the similarities, but I think I enjoy it surprisingly

tyler2tall likes this.
  3. Man it had been so long since I listed to anything from L&S

4. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Smash Mouth should have sued Blink for Boxing Day

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

delete this post, they might see it

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Nickelback should have sued Nickelback for "Someday."

7. danielm123

Trusted

Interesting side-by-side here. Definitely similar when compared in this manner. But it's really hard to believe that Juice WRLD intentionally ripped off a deep cut YC song from almost 15 years ago

8. Oh wow, I didn’t realize this was the same song Juice came under fire for with Sting too

9. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Now I finally hear/see it hahah.

10. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Man, the band got wrecked on social media today. Good grief

11. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Good, it's pretty gross that they would do this. Really disappointing.

MacbethSin and FTank like this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I still don’t get why people are worked up about this.

Even if you don’t hear it, they are doing something within their rights. They’ll either come out with a settlement or be embarrassed and take a financial loss. I wouldn’t vilify someone who thinks they are protecting their artwork which could have been ripped off, because as we’ve seen it happens.

I guess there’s just a lot more things I would qualify as gross in society.

13. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Because, if you did any research into this or watched the video linked earlier, you would know that there is a recent history of lawsuits like this where the plaintiff calls "experts" to use big words and complicated musical concepts beyond the understanding of laymen on the jury to get rulings. It's exploitative and predatory and an absolutely awful precedent for creative freedom, some of these rulings have established precedent saying that insanely broad, non-unique similarities are plagiarism.

14. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I see this as nothing more than a stain on Yellowcard's legacy. It's a such a basic melody anyone could come up with it and now when I listen to Holly Wood Died (one of my favorite closers) it'll just remind me of this lawsuit. Even if Juice WRLD was inspired by it for the verse melody (which I think is highly unlikely) is it really worth bringing all this attention to your since broken up band for a 13 year old song?

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Tom Petty I won't Back Down 1989
    Sam Smith Stay with Me 2014

Even if it's 25 years, doesn't matter. Broken up or active. Alive or dead really. If he stole the melody, unintentionally or not, it's still stolen. What are you going to think if they win? They may not. May be stretch. The most interesting thing to me out of this whole lawsuit has been that rap/hip hop artists are being influenced by emo idea. I've heard it brought up a few times over the past year or two, which is something I wouldn't have predicted.

Scoob, bradsonemanband and Brent like this.
  16. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

This lawsuit is stupid, but I'm genuinely curious. Lets say someone pointed this out, but Yellowcard didn't create a lawsuit out of it.

Could it be used as an example if someone in the future tried to lets say rip off, much more obviously, Ocean Avenue? Could the offender use that as an example and be like "They didn't sue them why can they sue me?"

.K. likes this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Couldn't a judge award them a song writing credits and percent of the song? I'm not sure how famous this guy is, but that percent could be very low and just enough to deter any future copyright concerns without trying to be punitive.

15 million is the part to me that sounded crazy, although those figures are often just viewed as a starting point. If there's a settlement, it would be much less. Plus, depending on legal costs, really only lawyers may win anyway.

18. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Yeah it’s the same melody but they are reaching and these types of suits are wack.

On the other hand they put me on to this lucid dreams song, It’s lowkey good.

disambigujason and danielm123 like this.
  19. m9tt Oct 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 23, 2019)
    m9tt

heaven knows what i am

My career runs parallel to a lot of trademark/copyright/IP law (working with brands), but the majority of infringement lawsuits are preventative and obligatory, which is to say that when you possess a copyright or trademark, the law places on you the onus of proactively defending your copyright. If you choose not to defend it, you'll eventually lose agency over your trademark.

Not saying that's exactly the case in this scenario, but I don't believe it's out of the question that this is close enough to Yellowcard's IP airspace that they feel that they have to do something about it, otherwise, they'll open themselves to further and more blatant cases of infringement in the future.

sawhney[rusted]2, morken and .K. like this.
  20. As someone that owns a few copyrights, I will say, as with most laws in this space ... this part is true, and really sucks.

sawhney[rusted]2 and .K. like this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

as a fan of music, if people do something as a tribute, or as part of an inspiration I find that interesting.

Me First and The Gimmie Gimmies have DP intro as to bands they like, such as Bad Religion’s Generator. Brian Fallon has thrown in lines as tributes to his idles in Gaslight Anthem songs.

But, I can see how a band like Yellowcard is protecting themselves.

22. dzyjay

Regular

Not gonna pretend like I know anything about this stuff but listeing to both back to back this seems insane to me.

23. Scoob

Regular

Now people are trying to claim YC is racist for doing this?

.K. likes this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

upload_2019-10-23_16-16-10.jpeg
    The people making the racist allegations probably know very little about the band members themselves.

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

My "is this shade?" was in reference to the part of the statement that seemingly calls Lucid Dreams a "generic emo rap song."