Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Band • Page 179

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 17, 2016.

1. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Man, that guy is such a loser

jlinitz, supernovagirl and jorbjorb like this.
  2. “As if anyone listened to lights and sounds”

it sold more than literally anything Radke has ever put out across every shitty band he’s been in.

Go off Ronald

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

and this

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I really am not a fan of all these lawsuits based on "similarities," the Blurred Lines case really did open the floodgates in a bad way

morken and FTank like this.
  5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

wait is that true?? That’s wild if so

Who asa is that another lawsuit happening?! I don’t think I heard that one. I do hear it..but I would have said more clearly inspired by that era more than that specific song but again I’m musically dumb so I’m not pretending to be an expert here

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't think there's a lawsuit yet

supernovagirl likes this.
  7. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

8. I didn’t do an extensive dive on any of his bands but at a glance, it charted higher at release than any Radke release.

9. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

A snap reaction to most lawsuits. I’ll admit my mind went there when I first heard about it too. It’s just the way it comes off at first, especially when it hits the news wire. Obviously there’s a lot more going on here but the common person likely won’t think about it more than that.

10. I suppose, but of all the ways to 'get money,' paying a lawyer to sue someone is one dumb-as-hell way to do it.

(And I think patents and lawsuits like this are silly af. Music should be about taking and morphing and using things from the past into new works of art.)

11. atlas

Trusted

Different scenario but same principle

12. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

It was a joke reply to whoever said it was a "bad look for the band", like obviously it's a "bad look"- that's what lawsuits are, but it's just funny to me to think of YC being like "hmm this song with a billion listens on Spotify ripped one of our songs off, maybe we should let it go because it Looks Bad", especially considering they aren't even a band anymore.

.K. likes this.
  13. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Didn't he cancel one of his last tours because no one came

irthesteve and earthlight like this.
  14. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

I feel like Falling In Reverse has waaaaay more fans than they should.

15. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

First time I heard Sam Smith’s Stay With Me, I said to my wife that that it sounded like Tom Perry’s I Won’t Back Down.

Sometimes a band or artist can copy, or even unintentionally get a melody stuck in their head without even realizing the source.

Its good to protect artists, original song writers and such. I do hope it doesn’t get carried away though. There must be some degree of coincidence or burden of proof. I feel like the sampling world must have resolve this issue over the past few years.

16. Richard S. Busch - King & Ballow Entertainment Law/Intellectual Property
    Mr. Busch obtained a jury award of $7.4 million in favor of the heirs of Marvin Gaye against Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke arising out of the unlawful copying of Marvin Gaye's classic hit Got to Give It Up in the song Blurred Lines.
    Pretty big name entertainment lawyer representing them, it is in fact the same lawyer from the "Blurred Lines" case.

17. irthesteve

The Sam Smith example is certainly an interesting one. Petty and Lynne ended up getting credit on the track even though Petty himself said that he didn't believe Smith plagiarized the song.

18. Love YC but the idea of a pop punk band suing over a borrowed idea is really something

19. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Ronnie threatened to steal my girlfriend. Folks, we’ve made it.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Lol, I love that multiple fans of his were like “He only went to jail once! Get your facts straight!” Stan culture is a hell of a thing.

21. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

He also made a weather joke after realizing I was a meteorologist. Riveting content

22. irthesteve

condolences to you and your "stolen" girl

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Could have been unintentional, but it was so obviously similar.

24. irthesteve

Right, and that right there is the whole point. Similarities are bound to happen, but it doesn't directly equate to a ripoff

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Is this shade?

trevorshmevor likes this.