Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Band • Page 177

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 17, 2016.

1. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I've got nothing

2. Heh y’all never read lawyer speak before I see

3. danielm123

Trusted

I feel like this is kind of a bad look from the band. These lawsuits rarely look good even when there is a clear similarity. At the very least it's quite strange

4. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

My first reaction was definitely that it doesn't look good for the band. But there's a reason why its a first reaction so I think I'll let it sit for a bit

5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Big oof

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I can hear the similarities in the phrasing and delivery and such, but only because I listened to each song back to back. The court of reason says maybe he was influenced by Yellowcard, but it doesn't feel like an exact copy, and will have no impact on them and their (future) earnings.

I don't think it looks bad on a band that's not around anymore really. Maybe it'll get these guys back in a room together, and well they are discussing feeling ripped off they can write and record a new Yellowcard song because I miss this band.

7. supernovagirl

Also interesting that Ryan Mendez isn’t named in the suit

8. shea

RIP Supporter

he's not credited as a writer on L&S i don't think..right?

supernovagirl likes this.
  9. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

My first reaction was this is a bad look for the band.
    My second reaction was maybe they need money and will eventually bring the band back.
    My third reaction was this is ridiculous.

solxace, Brent and Allhailburnzy like this.
  10. supernovagirl

Ohh okay duh you right you right

11. shea

RIP Supporter

i have still never purchased this album...or i would just look at the liner notes..lol

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. supernovagirl

Lmaoo. I wikipedia’d it don’t worry

13. supernovagirl

So my friend listened to both since he doesn’t rly know either song
    He said start lucid dreams at about 1:20 and focus on vocals and start Hollywood died from the beginning. I can agree a lot of the vocal pitch is the same but I wouldn’t say it’s a copyright worthy offense but what do I know I’m not a lawyer

I’d like to see the evidence they are presenting or like the actual breakdown of similarities bc I’m musically dumb and need it spelled out for me

solxace and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Its the same melody-ish from 1:09 onward

accidents out on the
    highway to somewhere
    they tell us about when we're young

I'm totally in the dark in regards to this...can you really win a case like this for it sounding similar?

m9tt and supernovagirl like this.
  15. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I would highly doubt this. I assume it was handled through their lawyers/agents

16. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Yellowcard is just doing this because they finally ran out of the money they got from “Ocean Avenue” and realized in the mainstream music world they are super irrelevant so they have to do something to get people talking about them again.

(I don’t mean all that in a bad way, but it seems like the case)

17. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

The melody is definitely similar, to sue over it is ridiculous, but this comment on the article cracked me up:

“you'd think if you had a song called "Holly Wood Died" you'd want to just keep that hidden from the rest of the world”

CAC3 likes this.
  18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t think they sound similar at all. This is a bad look for one of my favorite bands.

Also, my wife(!!!!) and I danced to Fields & Fences as our last song at our wedding this weekend and it was amazing.

morken, supernovagirl and earthlight like this.
  19. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve heard multiple songs from a single band sound more similar to each other vocally than these two songs do.

Wharf Rat and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  20. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

oh no.....

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yup, my first thought was they're already running out of money and are hoping for a settlement or something

supernovagirl and earthlight like this.
  22. BenSmith94

Trusted

Welp, this is fucking weird...I can't imagine they'd win this case. It's crazy?

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Do the members of Yellowcard even own the rights to the song?

24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Of course they own the rights to the song. They're the writers.

irthesteve likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

If I could find that money now things would be better

solxace, CoffeeEyes17, CAC3 and 2 others like this.