Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Band • Page 176

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 17, 2016.

1. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

I mean it uses piano but lyrically and melodically I don’t hear that.

2. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Same

3. The last week of takes in this thread have been next level

4. BenSmith94

Trusted

The voiceover in Dear Bobbie takes the song from great to top tier.

5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

The voiceover has since grown on me since taking in the meaning of the lyrics, but when I first heard it as a kid it turned me off to it. Now it's one of my favorites from them.

6. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

couldn't disagree more.

7. Dog Fish

Mutt

As a kid? Wowza.

8. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Haha yep, I'm almost 27 now and it came out in 2006, so I was probably 13/14 when I heard it

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I wouldn’t put Dear Bonnie anywhere even close to the top of my favourite Yellowcard songs. As I said I enjoy the sentiment of using his grandpa and singing about his family and personal life, and I find that adds some charm.

My favourite song about a grandparent is Moneen’s “The Last Song I Ever Want To Sing”. It’s about loss, and I’ve always related this song to one of my grandparents.

10. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I do love dear Bobbie and I’m not bothered by the speaking parts but I also understand the desire for one without it. For instance I’ve always thought it would make a nice wedding song but I don’t think you would want the speaking bits in it for that purpose.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

this was actually the reason it didnt make my final list for a potential wedding song, but on a normal listen the speaking doesnt bother me at all. i love that song.

smowashere and supernovagirl like this.
  12. drummerAVA

Trusted

I always thought Hang You Up was a fantastic song... really prefer the Big If version though. It’s a little more “bitter” and raw...

earthlight, pbueddi and irthesteve like this.
  13. I wish they'd kept the original key, but I love both (three?) versions equally. I'll have to revisit the Big If songs asap.

14. drummerAVA

Trusted

Red Carpets was a TUNE. I honestly forgot about it...

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. The weirdest news of the day

Scoob and Jason Tate like this.
  17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Hahaha strange

How close are the two songs?

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hmmmm

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I honestly would've never guessed the similarities. lol

Brent and JRGComedy like this.
  20. danielm123

Trusted

Honestly, I don't hear any similarities at all. Which, if its not fairly obviously ripping off a song, I can't see how YC has much of a case here

smowashere likes this.
  21. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I have heard Lucid Dreams a lot and I never thought of Holly Wood Died. Did the members of Yellowcard really band back together to sue this guy for "stealing" the melody?

I assume they think the verses use a similar melody? Which I kinda get but it's not that close.

Brent likes this.
  22. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Wait, what

23. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I don't hear it at all. Also, this reads.....badly:

To establish access — another key criteria for copyright infringement cases — the complaint goes on to highlight several links between Juice WRLD and the music of Yellowcard. Most prominently, it notes that the rapper has expressed his appreciation for the subgenre known as “emo pop rock” — “the precise genre of Yellowcard’s music” — in various interviews, including one in which he is quoted saying he “listened to and educated himself in Emo pop rock music” in order to impress a girl he had a crush on in the fifth grade. The complaint goes on to note that the 20-year-old rapper would have been in the fifth grade in 2006 — the very year “Holly Wood Dies” was released as part of Yellowcard’s Gold-certified album Lights And Sounds.

24. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Nah

25. shea

RIP Supporter

fuckin....what??

CAC3 likes this.