Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Band • Page 169

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The Offspring did the same thing. For a few million cash upfront, they just don't get $50 checks on the mail for sales anymore.

stars143 and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  2. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This is all so interesting to me haha. @Jason Tate , do you much about this royalty stuff with artists?

3. stars143

Trusted

Similar, but not exactly the same. The Offspring actually sold the rights to six of their albums (all the ones on Columbia). From what I understand, Yellowcard didn't actually sell their intellectual property, just the rights to certain royalties (i.e. public performances, streaming, AM/FM, film, etc.) for 10 years.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, I suggest reading up on what David Bowie did in the 90s with issuing $55M in bonds backed by future earnings of his catalog: The Whole Story Behind David Bowie's $55 Million Wall Street Trailblaze

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the correction! This kinda stuff is pretty darn interesting.

5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

So weird. So did the band itself sell the royalties? Who’s in charge of that? Is it just one members share? I’m so intrigued. Also I remember a fellow yc stan back in the day named cliff and now I’m lowkey like did he buy the royalties lmfao

6. shea

RIP Supporter

yeah if this is like the entire band royalties do they have to decide to do this as a group? i'm pretty sure Ryan and Sean don't have anything to do with Ben and LP anymore in regards to the OA/L&S songs, so I wonder how that works? Maybe no one from the band even owned the rights to what was up for auction here?

I had no idea this was even a thing people did and now i'm completely intrigued, haha.

stars143 and supernovagirl like this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Didn’t Michael Jackson own the tights to a bunch of Beatles songs?

stars143 likes this.
  8. RoKKeR

The Fly

I miss Yellowcard so fucking much. But going to catch WRK soon so I'm interested to see what those shows are like.

Davjs and danielm123 like this.
  9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

The WRK show by me got quietly cancelled and when I reached out on Twitter the venue said it was a scheduling conflict....a small part of me wonders if it was cancelled due to lack of sales

earthlight likes this.
  10. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

Anyone know the recent WRK set list? How many YC songs is he playing?

11. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

The crowds have not looked big on videos i’ve seen. Though i’m not quite sure I would expect them to be, at least at this juncture

supernovagirl likes this.
  12. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I’ve been missing them too. Looking back at videos of some shows and I just miss that entire environment

13. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

The last 4 song stretch of Lift a Sail is one of the few moments in Yellowcards discography where they really transcended the definitions of what the band is.

It’s the best run in their discography, imo

14. Smage

lo mein connoisseur Supporter

Objectively I can see that being their best run. Personally, the last 4 songs on Southern Air bring out the best of Yellowcard. They encompass everything I love about them.

15. Davjs

Trusted

Best 4 song run? The two listed above are great, but I'd probably go with first 4 from Ocean Ave or last 4 of Paper Walls.

I'm not even that big on Dear Bobbie, but Spotlight-Cut Me-Paper Walls is just....wow.

RoKKeR likes this.
  16. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Agreed on Paper Walls. That’s their best run

jorbjorb and Davjs like this.
  17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

That’s the best 3 song run they got :)

RJ Knorr and Davjs like this.
  18. Davjs

Trusted

My favorite 4 stretch from each album.

OA
    : Way Away-Breathing-OA-Empty Apartment

L&S: Rough Landing Holly-Two Weeks from Twenty-Waiting Game-Martin Sheen or JFK (so hard because all their best songs are spread apart and not so great songs are scattered too lol)

Paper Walls: Dear Bobbie-You and Me and Spotlight-Cut Me, Mick-Paper Walls

WYDTSY: Soundtrack-Sing for Me-See Me Smiling-Be the Young

SA: Awakening-Surface of the Sun-Always Summer-Here I Am Alive

LaS: Illuminate-Madrid-The Deepest Well-Lift a Sail (needed both Illuminate and the title track in here, but this was hard)

YC: Rest in Peace-What Appears-Got Yours-A Place We Set Afire (sucks to leave Empty Street off, but not too big on some of the surrounding songs. This is a heavy front album for me)

A lot of either first 4 or last 4 of each album, but they really do know how to open and close albums. Most of my top songs overall from them are either their openers and closers haha.

earthlight and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  19. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I will never forget when I first heard that album in full. Summertime, beautiful night, just jamming. What a time that was, man.

I also have a distinct memory of picking up WYTTSY before it was actually released. Sean gave it to me at one of their one-off shows in the middle of east bumblefuck PA. That ride home was just amazing. Windows down, record blasting, just so stoked they were back.

morken, Scoob and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  20. pbueddi

Trusted

21. CAC3

Dog

Summer Air is my favorite YC album.

Either way, I saw WRK in Easton, Pa last night. The crowd was pretty small and he said he had just flown there from Japan. He maybe played four or five songs acoustic, before deciding to go the emo night route and he was the “dj” for maybe 6 more songs. I was sad he didn’t actually play more music, or any of his new solo stuff. Still cool to see him though.

22. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Southern Air*

23. drummerAVA

Trusted

Yep, had to say something because I feel strongly about this lol... Illuminate and Lift A Sail were top-tier YC songs. Not my favorite album of theirs, not even close, but it did have some gems!

Fragile and Dear was another one...

Davjs and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  24. BenSmith94

Trusted

Been spinning Southern Air today...such a brilliant album.

Scoob, earthlight, jorbjorb and 7 others like this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I listened to WYTTSY and SA two days ago. I have loved every Yellowcard record since they released One For The Kids and I wish they still found a way to keep it going. Glad WRK is carrying on. I still think Sean and LP added something really special to the genre as well

morken, sawhney[rusted]2 and Davjs like this.