Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard - Yellowcard (September 30, 2016) Album • Page 63

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Jun 6, 2016.

1. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yeah, there's just a lot of songs I straight up don't like. What Appears, Got Yours and The Hurt is Gone specifically. I relaly like Rest in Peace and Wrecking Ball, but the rest aren't doin it for me

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'd recommend Joshua Radin' Underwater, Field Report's Marigolden, Mandolin Orange's Such Jubilee, Noah Gundersen's Carry the Ghost, and Jason Isbell's Southeastern. None of them are exactly like that song (Joshua Radin is probably the closest), but all have a similar vibe, imo.

3. RoKKeR

The Fly

To each their own! What Appears, though... man. Sorta surprised to see that one on there. Favorite on the record for me.

Davjs and JRGComedy like this.
  4. danielm123

Trusted

I take back what I said earlier about "The Hurt is Gone" being a weak song on the album for me. I think I probably listened to it too much when it came out. Now that I've listen to the entire album over and over again, it's become one of my favorites.

5. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I really, really do not get the love for "What Appears" at all. I have given it several shakes in light of everyone's praise for it, and it just doesn't do anything for me.

It starts like a generic rock song and fails to go anywhere interesting. It just gets louder. It sounds like a Lift a Sail b-side to me. (Kinda feel the same way about "A Place We Set Afire.")

Rest of the album is pretty good though. Not top 3, but definitely upper tier of their discography for me. I think the songwriting (even on the ones I don't like) has a real maturity to it, and think Key is on his A-Game with the lyrics here.

6. Mathlete12

Will check these out! Thank you!

Craig Manning likes this.
  7. irthesteve

Can't stand how the drums sound, or the overall production, which makes it hard for me to actually hear / pay attention to the song itself

8. Dubui_209

Went to the show in Sacramento last night. The instrumentals by this band is what won me over when I first began listening to them and they absolutely crushed the 'Gifts and Curses' one. That song, in 6 or 7 glorious minutes, epitomizes everything that I adore about this band.

GEM37 likes this.
  9. Davjs

Trusted

I love the song but yeah, I surprised no one has mentioned the drums on it. I thought my speakers were blown the first time I heard it and re ripped the cd to my iTunes thinking something had gone wrong. Really weird choice, but other than that I love the song.

Chummel and supernovagirl like this.
  10. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Probably exactly what they were going for

11. Davjs

Trusted

Well I know that, I never thought it came out on accident and they were like "oh well" lol. I still think it was a terrible choice for otherwise a great song.

supernovagirl and chickenlover like this.
  12. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

@SmithBerryCrunch theres been some hostility between us in a different thread so let's be a little more cheerier and discuss this band we both love and this great album

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  13. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed.

I second some earlier comments about not being a huge fan of What Appears. I think Got Yours, Empty Street, and Fields and Fences are my favorites from this.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I'm partial to Saviors Robes myself, but those 3 you mentioned are really great. I love all 10 song though tbh

15. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah there's not a song on here I dislike. I'd say What Appears and Wrecking Ball are my least favorites but I still enjoy them enough. And I know I've said it before, but the verses of A Place We Set Afire remind me sooo much of Simple Plan. Maybe it's just how Ryan sounds or something, idk.

betheyoung3 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  16. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Seeing them tomorrow night. I really love this album. Might be my second or third favorite. Not sure yet. I listen to this a lot in between Integrity Blues though, atm.

17. RoKKeR

The Fly

You guys are now making me feel crazy about What Appears. I've loved that song since my first listen. The huge wall of sound and presence is just really great, and I love the lyrics. Really excited to hear it live.

18. Elder Lightning Oct 25, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 26, 2016)
    Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I was lukewarm on it with my first listen, but it quickly grew on me and became one of my favorites on the record. It's the one that pops into my head most often and makes me want to listen.

The only thing I dislike about this album is the way Ryan pronounced "against" (aginst) and "fences" (finces) in the closer. (I still like the song, overall, but that takes me out of it.)

19. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

Did this site ever post up a review of this album? I must have missed it on the main page

20. Soon. I'm almost done.

More of a "Jason gets nostalgic" than a review though. Hah, I talk about the album though.

21. Band was fantastic tonight. Some great deep cuts, fantastic energy, still one of the best live bands I've ever seen.

22. irthesteve

I never expected them to sound bad live, but I was still extremely surprised at how great they did sound.

23. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Easily among the best on the album IMO.

RoKKeR and KidLightning like this.
  24. YouOnlyLukeOnce

#WRBK4lyfe

I'm sure the people that don't care for What Appears aren't fans of Illuminate as well, even though that song is one of their best

25. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Illuminate is awesome. Things actually happen in that song.