Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Suing Juice WRLD • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

This is an easy video to show they're not the same by programming them on a piano instead of using the actual songs. He even super imposes the melodies on top of each other at the end.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  2. I would actually say that video shows how similar the two songs really are. When they're put into the same key, you can see that both songs use the same notes. Are both songs exact replicas of each other? Absolutely not. But there's no denying that they share similarities. Whether or not that is enough of a case for Yellowcard to win, who knows?

3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Yes, indeed....it seems these songs both use the notes "A," "B," "C#," "D," and "E..." pretty damning stuff

4. Also, I think this is the first time I've actually heard both of these songs.

Preserved Moose likes this.
  5. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Both of them transposed over each other sounds cool!

6. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

He was during the L&S era since he became full of himself which makes sense (to an extent) given the overnight success they had in the early 2000s. From what I heard, he came back down to earth after Paper Walls.

7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I'm sorry but I don't hear this at all. I would love for YC to be right since this rapper sucks and Lights and Sounds (my personal favorite YC album) is criminally underrated in my opinion but nope.

I'm sure they will settle out of court for something wayyyyyyyyy lower.

dumpweed41 likes this.
  8. Oscyy

Pity the living

Love the guys from Yellowcard, but this looks like grasping for cash off of what would likely be a settlement.

I just don't hear it.

9. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

With this logic, every radio country song could sue each other for the same exact reasoning...riffs are shared, not on purpose...this melody could probably be found to match a hundred other songs, sounds like a lullaby origination to me. Beyond ridiculous.

10. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Was really not expecting to see this headline.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  11. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah, pretty much this. Obvious when you break it down to the simplest form it's easy to see how objectively similar the structure of this melody is. But like I said earlier in the thread, there's so much else going on and the melodies come across much differently in the context of each song. So much so that I probably never would have heard the similarities without them being pointed out even though I've heard the YC song a thousand times.

But like others said, this is reminiscent of the Katy Perry case and that didn't go her way, so who knows.

12. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

Yeah they're VERY similar especially that bit just after the start but they're not identical. Like one descends at the start but the other ascends. I'm not sure how close things have to be to count as an infringement. Like if you go E D C# A B A but the other song goes E D C# A B B does it still count as a rip off? Haha.

13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d suggest you do some research before you make such a statement. Even just out of respect to the general topic.

Here’s a link to LP’s bio on Wikipedia. He’s just left of centre in this photo. He’s listed in the lawsuit.

Longineu W. Parsons III - Wikipedia

upload_2019-10-23_16-4-32.jpeg

Also, the argument about the age of the song is not relevant. Songs don’t evaporate the year after they are released.

The argument is if a piece are was taken without permission.[/QUOTE]

orangehorizon likes this.
  14. atlas

Trusted

lol

15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

he left the band before they broke up. also shut up

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Him not being around for the last two albums has no consequence here, as the song and lawsuit in question LP is attached to. Yet you referred to him as a white man.

Also, telling someone to shut up even though you are wrong is not a quality of the kind of person I want to converse with.

Have a nice day.

17. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

My bad, wasn’t meant that way. I was speaking more for myself. I listen to a whole lot of music, but I don’t know jack about how to compose it, notes, etc. Just a consumer. I’ve never played an instrument in my life, besides what they made us play in elementary school.

I find how people are at complete odds on this lawsuit fascinating and am interested to hear what the courts decide.

18. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Breathe e-troll. Also, Lights and Sounds is a better record. Criminally underrated too.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Lights and Sounds is a really good record. Looking forward to Ryan’s first full length.

20. Analog Drummer

Regular

I love yellowcard, but yep, I can barely hear it, they’re grasping at straws here, might as well do a reunion if strapped for cash

21. Over looked post in this thread. That lawyer is virtually the reason these cases go to court these days. He won the famous “Blurred Lines” case.

sawhney[rusted]2 and DandonTRJ like this.
  22. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I actually worked with the attorneys on the other side of the Blurred Lines case, and I can confirm that ruling still chaps their asses. But yeah, Busch has his fingerprints all over modern music copyright law. His Bridgeport case in the Sixth Circuit scared everyone away from unlicensed sampling for years until the Ninth Circuit bucked it in the Vogue case. He’s also currently trying to get the Music Modernization Act declared (partially) unconstitutional. Not a man to be fucked with.

23. Analog Drummer

Regular

I assume it must be a case that yellowcard got him first, but wouldn’t Juice wrld have plenty more cash than the YC boys to be affording the top dog in music law

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I hope this leads to all pop punk bands suing each other for stealing each other's song, would be fun to watch

PauLo and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  25. atlas

Trusted

I hope this leads to pop punk as a genre ceasing to exist bc everyone is suing each other and no one wants to get sued