Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Suing Juice WRLD • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 22, 2019.

1. :teethsmile:

2. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

We're forgetting the more important thing here; Yellowcard had the better song also...

3. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Don't like this at all. Save your lawsuits for corporations using your music without consent etc, not a kid who was influenced by the kind of music you made. The songs are not nearly as similar as the complaint makes it seem. Plus, this seems pretty bold given Holly Wood the character on the album is basically the same idea Marilyn Manson had BEFORE Yellowcard and his was called Holy Wood. I know which example makes me think "they ripped that idea off" more...

4. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Roughly 140k views the last day, kinda crazy

5. zeketheplmbr

When all I wanna know is how to disappear Supporter

Nas should sue Juice WRLD too I guess. Listen to “The Message.”

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  6. Mibabalou

MUFC / NYRB Prestigious

interesting...

7. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

That matters literally 0% to this.

8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

bunch of old white dudes suing a young black artist for 15 mil is such a great look

9. God can they just stay dead? I thought they'd shut up after their seemingly endless breakup tour finally finished

10. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I hear it ... I think?

11. atlas

Trusted

[​IMG]

12. dumpweed41

Man I was ready to rip into juice wrld over this but that's a huge stretch.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  13. Ska Senanake

Trusted

The yellow card verse and juice wrld hooks are very similar. Kind of lame to sue IMO.

14. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Good way of explaining this. It’s hard for the untrained ear to pick it out since the genres are so different. Stripped down helps pull those layers away.

15. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Not at all a fan of these sorts of cases. They seem to be becoming more common and the justification for them more woolly. If your argument is that playing both songs in a more simple fashion would show them to be similar, does that not suggest that the finished articles aren't? Because that's what people are actually paying to listen to.

Also, given that music is kind of finite in terms of combinations, I'm not convinced anyone should be suing over chord progressions or melodies like this. I've yet to see one of these cases where they seemed justified. Possibly the Tom Petty one (particularly as the song writers pretty much crumbled immediately on that one).

16. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

As far as I can tell it's a very similar cadence but the melodies are just different enough to stop it being a note for note rip off. Not sure "kinda sounds the same" will hold up.

17. SpinelessYesBloke

Co-host of The Wasting Time Podcast

When are NFG going to slap the lawsuit on this one?

bradsonemanband likes this.
  18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

The funniest thing about this to me is that Yellowcard think Juice Wrld(the guy who would have been 6 years old when the song was released) has actually heard their song before

19. somethingwitty

Trusted

Did Juice WRLD even write this track?

20. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

If this was the standard for plagiarism in music, the industry would be completely untenable. This is extremely silly as are most of these cases

21. God this comment rubs me the wrong way. You don't have to have a "trained ear" to hear the similarity, that's awfully insulting to non-musicians, but either way this case is bullshit.

22. haha wow... yeah, that's a clear and blatant rip off. also, it sounds awful.

23. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I won't pretend to be a lawyer with expertise in music copyright, but I think some people are a bit revisionist about the context of this situation. Juice WRLD is on a major label, having signed a pretty huge deal, and was nominated/won several major awards, for having some of the most streamed songs. So this isn't exactly them going after some random poor kid. He's part of the same machine they once were. And secondly, I think we'll always see lawsuits like this pop-up from time to time to remind song writers they need to be careful when producing hits that could lean too heavily into existing influences - whether this should be one of those times? That I don't know, maybe not.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  24. but do you have a trained ear or not?

kidddddddddddding