Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yellowcard Stream New Song; Say Goodbye • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 24, 2016.

1. This one stings. This band is such a vital part of who I am. They will be missed like crazy.

FTank, CMilliken and Contender like this.
  2. shea

RIP Supporter

Can't be stated how much this band has meant to me. I didn't really like LAS and was pretty critical of it but fuck this hurts. Will be a lovely birthday gift to say goodbye to them.

3. HueyLewis

Regular

Haha im sure you're right. I was just being a dick.

4. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

It's only been four days since I had to say goodbye to Motion City Soundtrack. Now I have to see that Yellowcard is ending as well. Yesterday made five years to the exact day that I drove 1000 miles to see them after I graduated from High School. That trip is one of my all time favorites. These two have been a fixture of the scene for years. It felt like these guys would always be around. This sucks.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  5. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Man, what a gut punch. Love this band, and they'll be missed by many.

That being said... the new song is bland.

6. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Somehow I didn't really become a fan of these guys - I had Ocean Avenue in high school and while I knew they always SHOULD connect with me, somehow they never did.

That said - I saw them live last year and they had the crowd eating out of the palm of their hand as well as any band I've ever seen. The chemistry was palpable and the only real way I could describe it after was something between 'woah' and 'holy crap.' It was musical magic, even coming from someone who basically only knew their singles.

For all the fans who sing every word and feel about these guys the way I do my favorite bands, I know how this feels. But no one can doubt their legacy, at all, ever. And that means a whole lot.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  7. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I've seen them a bunch of times but this last tour is going to be something special.

8. Ben Buchnat

Whatever. Forever.

They haven't been the same since LP left. The last album sucked and this new song is boring. Sad to see them go but it feels like the right time. Everyone is going down this year.

9. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

The Yellowcard site is down, and I'm in a rush to plan a trip to one of their final shows. I really really don't want to support Warped tour, but it's the only date near me.

10. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Very sad stuff for sure, and as much as I don't want to accept it, I can definitely understand and appreciate their decision and the thought that was put behind it. I'm glad that all their fans will get a chance to take part in this final chapter.

11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I know I'm in the complete minority here, but this band started to lose me after Lights and Sounds. I LOVED One for the Kids, The Underdog EP, Oceans Avenue and Lights and Sounds is my all-time fave from them (again, I know I'm in the minority). Paper Walls didn't hit me until a few years later and I do enjoy it now. WYTTSY to me was a pretty big disappointment. Enough so for me to never really check out their following two records after that. I mean, I listened, but I didn't really give them a full opportunity. I guess I just kind of lost interest in them. I did see them a few times around the WYTTSY tour and the Oceans Ave 10 year tour. They were pretty good live, although the shows in Cleveland were not well attended at all, which is why I'm guessing Cleveland is not on their 'final tour.'

12. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Bummed about no Toronto date, but happy I at least caught them once. These guys have played such a big part in my musical development and they're leaving behind a fantastic discography and legacy for their scene. They'll be missed undoubtedly.

13. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I'm surprised with how hard this is hitting me.

When they took the first hiatus, I was just leaving my teens and considered myself kind of "over" their sound or that scene. The hiatus didn't really bother me.

Since they've been back, and with a few more years on me, I have learned to appreciate the many, many subgenres of punk for what they are, and to not disregard a certain sound because of what era of my life I happen associate it with. I can listen to One for the Kids and Ocean Avenue and appreciate all the things those albums do well, and I have continued to grow tremendous respect for this band as they've released more and more post-hiatus material.

I know what discography I'm going to be listening to all afternoon as I move through my workload. It's been a long, meaningful, and insightful ride with these guys. I'll be thrilled to see them for the first and last time this Winter.

Spencer Rhoton likes this.
  14. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

On another note, I'm loving the look of that transparent vinyl.

15. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Song is fantastic. Glad their giving us one more album before they punch out. Would hate to have Lift a Sail be their final one, that album was awful.

16. Incredibly excited and sad because Lift A Sail felt like a new beginning soundwise. At least we get one last album, and this song is more than promising.

17. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Sounds like they are going out in top form, based on that single. Can't wait to hear the rest of the record and I wish these guys nothing but the best in whatever they choose to do in the future.

FTank likes this.
  18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Goddammit. I don't even know where to begin.

Back when I was in middle school I had no idea what good music was. I listened to whatever was on the radio. I legitimately didn't have an identity when it came to music. Then something incredible happened. I was about to enter 7th grade, in the summer of 2003, when Ocean Avenue came out.

Or, more specifically, when "Ocean Avenue" the song came out. I had no concept of "albums" or what it meant to actually dig into an artist's catalogue because I was still in the mainstream radio mentality of hearing singles without actually growing attached to any artist because their time in the spotlight was usually short-lived. So I heard "Ocean Avenue" that summer, like everyone else did, and I loved it, like everyone else did, but then I went out and decided to buy the CD. I, of course, had no other way of listening to the song whenever I wanted. And of course, the second I put that disc into my portable CD player, I immediately skipped ahead to track 3. But then I skipped back to track 1.

And from that moment onward I pretty much was hooked. I can say with absolute certainty that Yellowcard is the band that got me into pop-punk, punk, emo, whatever I am currently a fan of. I can trace it all back to buying Ocean Avenue at the local K-Mart (yeah, K-Mart) and never looking back. I wore that CD out from listening to it so much, and it was one of the first albums I put on my first iPod when I finally got one of those years later.

And through the ups (Paper Walls) and downs (most, but certainly not all, of Lights & Sounds) this band has nearly always been a source of inspiration, strength, and pure joy for me. When they announced their hiatus post-Paper Walls, I was heartbroken; when they announced their reunion and came back swinging with two mind-blowingly perfect albums, I was ecstatic. Today, staring down what looks to be the true end of this band, I am devastated.

I'll be attending the November 13 date in New Jersey, and hopefully Warped Tour as well, to see them off.

"Let's take what hurts, and write it all down.
    On these paper walls, and this empty house.
    And when our ink runs out, we'll burn it to the ground..."

19. Damn, end of an era. New song sounds great though. Looks like I'm listening to Lift a Sail today. And Lights and Sounds.

And Ocean Avenue, who am I kidding.

AelNire likes this.
  20. thebig100

Guess I can finally stop holding out hope that Chicago would one day get an Ocean Ave show...

21. Sad, but I'm willing to bet this last album will see them going out on top. RIP Yellowcard.

AelNire and Aaron Mook like this.
  22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Completely agree.

I'm in that minority too. I think part of it was just me aging out of pop-punk, but nothing from them really hit me after "L&S." Everything else kind of felt like treading water, but I was glad they were able to give it one last go.

23. sebastianrcgr

hey, we have the same DP

24. sven_sg Jun 24, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2016)
    sven_sg

I can't describe how I feel. I feel sad, but at the same time i'm glad they won't end this without releasing a awesome last album and a final massive tour.

Not sure if they will come to Europe on this last tour? I hope so.

New song sounds awesome and I can't wait to buy and hear their last record.

This band has been one of the reasons I started to listen to this kind of music when I was 15 years old.

Mixed feelings about this one.

25. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Got a lot to say about this, but I'm going to save it up so I can write about it when the new record drops.