Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Xiu Xiu Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Fucking Dustin, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Xiu Xiu began in 2002 in San Jose, California by original members Jamie Stewart, Lauren Andrews, Yvonne Chen, and Cory McCulloch. Current members are Jamie Stewart, Shayna Dunkelman, Angela Seo, and Ches Smith. They are based in Los Angeles and New York. Over the life of the band, the music has taken influence from noise, modern classical, the dance floor, post punk, experimental, minimalism, Asian percussion musics and American folk music. Frequently noted as well are the influences of the films of Todd Solondz, Shohei Imamura, David Lynch and Seijun Suzuki and the books of Elfriede Jelinek, V.S, Naipaul, Yukio Mishima and Ingeborg Bachmann.

Ken likes this.
  2. Fucking Dustin

Creating this thread in case I ever interact with another person who listens to Xiu Xiu.

3. I'm here because of twin peaks

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

one of the best bands of all time

5. Horrorca

Trusted

Knife Play is one of the darkest, most powerful works of art I've experienced - I can still distinctly remember the first time I listened to XX (I Broke (SJ) in my parents' house), I literally could do nothing for the rest of the day but listen to them, so I skipped classes and just listened

all of their albums are interesting and engaging in different ways, and you should probably listen to all of them at least once

Jamie is a fucking artist, living and breathing his art, and we're lucky to have him

6. gimme a good place to start outside plays the music of twin peaks

7. Horrorca

Trusted

well... you could take the easy route and go into Fabulous Muscles, and then branch out from there

oooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... start from the beginning and grab Knife Play - then continue fwd (hint: take this route)

8. Horrorca

Trusted

yeah, go with KP and if it's too abrasive, jump to Fabulous Muscles, but everything will be emotionally exhaustive, be warned

9. Fucking Dustin

Yup perfect summary

I started with Always and went straight back to KP after that and it was such a weird transition haha. Starting with KP is the way to go

10. Fucking Dustin

Also holy shit I finally got notifications in this thread!

11. thanks! I'll get comfy soon and give it a go

12. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Four tracks into Knife Play and liking it way more than I expected to. All my previous attempts at getting into this band were such failures. This may be the one to stick.

13. Horrorca

Trusted

it's a fucking masterpiece - that's what it is

14. Horrorca

Trusted

I Broke Up and Suha are like top 10 tracks for me

15. Fucking Dustin

Suha gets me every damn time

16. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

I LUV The Valley Oh is an all time favourite of mine. Such an amazing song.

17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I think Dear God and Fab Muscles are the ones I come back to most often but I love em all outside of Angel Guts

18. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

The only song I know by Xiu Xiu is, "Don Diasco." I always thought it'd be perfect synced to a skate vid.

19. Fucking Dustin

I go back to The Air Force a ton. It, Knife Play, and Always are probably the ones I go back to the most.

20. Horrorca

Trusted

Women as Lovers is soooo underrated - such a sick album

I mean Bowie's Under Pressure with Michael Gira - the stuff of legends

21. Fucking Dustin

It's hard to commit to this thought but it may have my favorite opener of any Xiu Xiu album

22. Horrorca

Trusted

yeah, it's beautiful

I'm gonna listen to all the XX opening songs right now and decide which one is my fav

Sunday, yay!

23. Horrorca

Trusted

also, I once dloaded Life and Live and fell in love with the acoustic I Broke Up... now it's lost and I can't fucking find it over the www... any ideas?

24. Horrorca

Trusted

finally listened to the Twin Peaks album - amazing

how cool would it be that Lynch used some of it for the new show??? oh man

25. Fucking Dustin

I'm currently listening to Jamie Stewart drunkenly commentating Dear God I Hate Myself and I don't know why I'm doing this but it's pretty entertaining