Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Video Game • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Fixed Glitch, Dec 1, 2017.

1. mescalineeyes

ASHAMED (OF BEING BORN) Prestigious

from what I hear, this game is 1-2 QoL and performance fixes away from greatness.

h8bit likes this.
  2. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

One of the biggest concerns is that the world map doesn’t really follow the character anymore, which is a problem for some.

I think I’ve gotten so used with BotW without a minimap that I just use the compass to navigate so that doesn’t bother me at all. My only complain is that some side quests are still vague af. I had to google one and after finding out how to do it I realiized I probably wouldn’t have guessed it anyway.

But it does so many great things that I’m fine overlooking that. I’m a broken record but the combat is really, really fantastic. I’m stuck at work just thinking of the different ways I want to setup my blades/party.

3. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

quick question - do boosters just influence the type of blade you pull? I can't really figure it out and I don't remember the game explaining it.

4. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

I don’t understand the combat with blades yet at all haha. No real clue what doing right now.

The game feel more like Ys or Star Ocean right now, waiting for that Xenoblade vibe to kick in a little more.

tucah likes this.
  5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I'm (I think) nearing the end of Chapter 3 and while I do see the Xenoblade lineage, it definitely feels way more like some of the most recent Ys games (and it doesn't help that the music is often reminiscent of Falcom's work as well).

6. Fixed Glitch

I’m sure It will develop as the game goes on. I am very intrigued by the world and story unlike XCX which never really did. And that why I think I never finished it.

7. zigbigwig Dec 4, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 4, 2017)
    zigbigwig

I honestly don't know. I've been trying to look for clues but no luck.

I found a good common/rare core spot.

If this keeps up this might actually end up being one of my favorite JRPGs ever. One of those right place, right time moments for me. Story-wise it's hitting me with the right emotional beats, combat is great, and Alrest is a joy to explore. And on top of that Poppi's idle animations are hilarious.

Also as much I love XCX’s whole bigger story arcs, the cutscenes and script was so bad.

SpyKi likes this.
  8. Fixed Glitch

XCX eventually just felt so hollow to me toward the end.

I just didn’t care or get exciting for anything in the game after a certain point.

9. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Got super lucky with Blade pulls just now - used 3 common and a rare core, ended up with 3 rare Blades.

zigbigwig and SpyKi like this.
  10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

There's some of the rare blades that I desperately want and some I think look pretty lame so I'm obviously going to end up getting the lame ones.

zigbigwig and tucah like this.
  11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

I'm just dying to get (rare blade/cameo spoiler) KOS-MOS

12. zigbigwig

I think I have a decent party now element-wise. I haven't had enough rare blades to actually start picking out arts though.

13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

That's the main one I want, ha.

zigbigwig and tucah like this.
  14. zigbigwig

i was playing around with a common core and guess who I got

if you want to hate even more, prior to you guys talking about it I had no idea who this character was

tucah, h8bit and SpyKi like this.
  15. h8bit

@ghastlyfeline Prestigious

I'm hoping the RNG gods take pity on me soon and my luck picks up. How far in are you?

zigbigwig likes this.
  16. tucah

not champ Prestigious

My completionist needs are killing me in this game right now, I spent like 5 hours yesterday just doing sidequests even though a) I'm dying to see how the story continues and b) I'm not even going to use the XP from the sidequests because I feel a little over leveled already.

17. zigbigwig

Not very far. I’ve been wandering around too much, doing sidequests and experimenting with builds. I have all the ??? in the menu screen filled up though. I think I’m at that point in the game where I’ve already accessed most of the features so that’s good.

I’ll hit up the main quest after finishing the remaining sidequests.

How’s your progress?

18. zigbigwig

Also Rex has that thing in the skill tree where you can “cancel” arts like auto-attacks. Saves a lot of time and I’m ramping up special bars in seconds, and the combo animations look awesome (or at least the times I see it because combat is so chaotic every goddamn time).

19. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

What's holding me back from buying this is multiple reviews saying the combat system is too complicated and always feels like a lengthy chore. I would like to be convinced otherwise

20. Fixed Glitch

I’m too early to really say, but if you have a switch and like JRPG’s, you pretty much have to play this game. The combat doesn’t seem that complicated

21. zigbigwig Dec 6, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 6, 2017)
    zigbigwig

Ultimately it depends on what type of games you want to play. I truly believe there is a steep learning curve in mastering the game, but I don't think it's complicated at all to start getting into. Just different.

I disagree with anyone who says combat is a chore, but it definitely is substance over style. I'm a big fan of based turn-based RPGs - mostly because you have to think - and haven't been a fan of action-based ones like the the Tales series, etc. I felt like they were either too easy or too boring but this finds the right balance for me.

Two things I want to say before going into this game:
    1. It is very story-driven. It has a lot of cutscenes. The Switch's portability does wonders here. But the story is really, really good. If you don't like anime, that might turn you off a bit.
    2. This is a game that does require your attention, but in a very good way. If you want a straightforward experience that requires very little friction, and something that is done in 12 hours this isn't the game for you. If you're willing to dip your toes into something unfamiliar, or generally have time or the eagerness to learn a new thing I highly recommend XC2.

It's very refreshing, in a sea of games with mechanics that are so familiar and ones that just borrow from each other, that a game like this exists. So even if it's not for everybody, I would still cautiously recommend it to people who are interested in checking it out, and fingers crossed they would love it as much as we do.

TLDR I guess we can somewhat compare it to competitive Pokemon, which people claim are complicated but it's actually not really, or Monster Hunter whose reputation for being complicated, for me, is actually just people not being used to a certain control scheme

Matt likes this.
  22. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I should have prefaced by saying Persona 5 is the best game I’ve played this year and I put over 100 hours into it

zigbigwig likes this.
  23. zigbigwig

We could’ve saved so much time.

Definitely for you.

Matt likes this.
  24. Fixed Glitch

Now that I’m gettong further along, I am seeing the difficulty that people were taking about. A level 9 monster just wrecked me!

25. The Lucky Moose Dec 9, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 9, 2017)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

HELP!

I just got my second Blade, the one the story gives you, and I don't know how to "equip" it or how to change to it in battle. I can't find it. Under the blade menu in the pause menu, all I can do is look at it. I can't see anything in the battle UI either.

EDIT: Figured it out. God damn it.

zigbigwig likes this.