Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men (General Discussion) Comic Book • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

“Twelve titles, twelve stories, all focused on a single night that will go down in Marvel Comics history.”

Sounds like a pretty dope comic “event” premise. And, I ain’t about to complain about 40 pages of Pepe Larraz X-Men.

blast0rama likes this.
  2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I'm ready

3. Tim

Some artists make the old Marvel Girl skirt look really good, but I’d love if Jean abandoned it, lol. I love how Russell Dauterman just draws the X-Men: Red costume & has it colored in green & yellow; I’d be into that as her main look.

4. Tim

The Hellfire Gala one-shot both being drawn by Pepe Larraz & having outfits by Russell Dauterman is just peak Krakoa-era X-Men. Love that Emma Frost has 3 looks, which are all fabulous. Also adore Storm, Rogue, Angel, & Monet’s looks.

5. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

I love all of those outfits.

Telepathically worn headgear! Storm’s cape being a storm! FASHION!

Tim likes this.
  6. Dodge725

Trusted

I’m normally not a variant cover guy, but I may have to ask my LCS for those if they’re not expensive retailer incentives. Those are all amazing.

Tim likes this.
  7. Tim

4DD3A3C4-6132-40C2-A336-8A90E0B8DF51.jpeg

Got my big, thicc New Mutants omnibus.

Also found out the second omnibus drops at the end of the year, which is dope. Will go to the end of Claremont’s time on the title & include the 2019 one-shot he did set during that time. Bummed it ends 10 issues before the Inferno Prologue hardcover I have, which means I’m gonna be stuff with either a hardcover gap or more overlap than I’d want, but still dope.

scottlechowicz likes this.
  8. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

That is beautiful

9. blast0rama

Tim and ghostedaway like this.
  10. Tim

11. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Having trouble picking through reading orders online and figured @Tim or someone else could help me. What do I need to read before Bendis' Uncanny X-Men from 2013

12. Tim

Depends on how much you know about the broad strokes of modern X-Men comics and/or how good you are with accepting a status quo based in events you didn’t read. My first time reading most of it, I was getting back/deeper into comics & hadn’t read much X-Men from the decade before it, and I had no problems.

The big event it spins out of & references a bit is Avengers vs X-Men... which, to date, I still haven’t read, lol. You can give it a shot & see if you dig it, but if not, just read a summary on, like, Wikipedia or something to get the basics.

The other series to consider is All-New X-Men, which Bendis wrote at the same time. That’s the time displaced original line-up. The first arc of that takes place, I believe, before the first issue of Bendis’ Uncanny. I never got really into All-New, in spite of X-23 being there eventually and art from Immonen, Pichelli, & Asrar. But, it’s worth giving that first arc a shot, and then deciding from there if you wanna keep up with both or not. They do cross over at one point in Battle of the Atom. (All-New also crosses over with Bendis’ Guardians of the Galaxy a couple times. Which, none of Bendis’ cosmic stuff worked for me at all, lol.)

13. Gene Michaelson

Hey everyone! I'm new!

I've been through a number of forums trying to find the right crowd to ask the right questions. I'm looking for people that are X-MEN fans, with good knowledge of the comics, that aren't diehard Jean Grey/Phoenix fans OR haters. There seems to be no grey area of X-Men fans when it comes to this subject, and I need to find someone to answer questions I have, and possibly help me with the strangest situation a Marvel fan could find themselves in.

Anyone please?

14. TEGCRocco May 18, 2021
    (Last edited: May 18, 2021)
    TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I've been going back and re-reading some "older" X-Men stories for the past little while and something about the First to Last arc from like 2011-ish really hits. All of the X-Men, even Magneto, straight up staring who is essentially god in the face and saying no to human extinction really sticks with me. Especially with the O5 X-Men saying the same thing years (decades? still not sure how the Marvel timeline actually works tbh) prior to the then modern X-Men. Really just informs the current arc Scott and Jean are going through with Krakoa and the council IMO

15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

first class came out 10 years ago today in the states

16. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I’m listening to the Logan episode of Cerebro and damn I love Gerry Duggan’s voice haha

I’m also reading through the Claremont run atm. On issue #164 god I love the brood saga.

Tim likes this.
  17. Tim

Haven’t listened to the Logan one yet, but I’ve been listening to so much Cerebro podcast the past couple weeks, lol. So good. Love this bit from the Stryfe episode:

Also, tomorrow’s Planet-Size X-Men, let’s go.

Nick likes this.
  18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I’m making my way through it at the mo. Anthony Oliveira on the Bobby Drake episode is probably my favourite so far. So funny.

Are you reading Hellfire Gala @Tim ?

19. Tim

Not the whole gala, at least not properly. I'm keeping up with everything via the internet, but the only ones I'm planning on buying this month are Planet-Size X-Men, New Mutants, X-Corp (which had a disappointing first issue, but I'm intrigued enough by the premise to give it a few issues to click), and X-Factor.

And, yeah, the Anthony Oliveira episodes are probably my favorite. The Dazzler episode with Evan Narcisse was very good, too. And, I dug the Mojo & Adam X episodes just 'cause it's nice listening to interviews with Ann Nocenti & Fabian Nicieza (respectively).

20. blast0rama

Holy shit.

Planet-Size X-Men Spoilers

THEY FUCKIN COLONIZED MARS

21. Tim

I’ve seen chatter about what Planet-Size was probably about for long enough that nothing about it was super shocking to me per se. Watching those massive mutant feats performed with such wonderful Pepe Larraz art, though, was quite satisfying. Some nice touches here & there. I just… wish I had a better sense of where Storm’s gonna be going forward (outside of the Black Panther supporting cast). Maybe Al Ewing’s SWORD?

New Mutants #19 was so good. Lots of just solid Karma, Dani, & Magik stuff to make this old school New Mutants fan quite happy, and then an ending with Gabby that hit me right in the heart.

Nick likes this.
  22. Tim

Worth noting that this is a SWORD variant cover in September. Which, doesn’t necessarily mean anything, of course, but that’d be a pretty neat title for her to join as a major cast/team member.

Just, please… I’ve beat this drum in the comics thread before, but please don’t make Black Panther her main home. Coates may have done a good job with Ororo & T’Challa’s dynamic (at least in what I’ve read), but tying her too closely to Wakanda to the detriment of her role in the X-Men will always be a terrible choice.

23. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I have loved every issue in the Hellfire Gala. Jesus this is a great “event”.

SWORD spoilers below.

Wanda?! Holy shit!! Also absolutely adore Storms new role.

ghostedaway and Tim like this.
  24. Tim

This recent two-issue story about the original 5 X-Men/X-Factor was such fun old school comic-book-ing. So high energy, loose, & charming. Weezie & Walt might be superhero comics’ all time strongest power couple. I especially loved the added flavor John Workman’s hand lettering gave these pages.

D32D82BF-AD46-479A-92CD-C111960A8456.jpeg

25. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, I’m going to really really miss Kid Cable. Damn.