Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men (General Discussion) Comic Book • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I think the problem is those kids are a little too "aged up" for Champions, the Gen X kids were last headed towards like college aged, the Champions are more like high schoolers, and then every other team is adults, so they're lost in the shuffle.

But c'mon... a group of college aged kids feeling like they've been forgotten and/or don't have direction? It writes itself, c'mon Marvel!

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I feel like I can never get a strong read on young characters’ age, lol. Which, is baked into the whole sliding timeline thing & not inherently bad, but can also make these conversations confusing.

Like, I know X-23 is written as roughly college age now. Quentin seems that age now, too. Are all the Academy X kids, like Surge & Dust, also that age? At least some of the Bendis Uncanny kids gotta be teens ‘cause Goldballs was in Miles’ class. Didn’t the most recent Gen X series have a mix of Bendis & earlier characters?

Also, on the Champions side, isn’t Amadeus Cho sometimes said or written to be ~19, or am I misremembering? lol.

Regardless, a college-age team book would be dope, too. Mix of mutants, Young Avengers, & other miscellaneous characters in that age bracket.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  3. Furry Werthers

Trusted

and if that college-aged book isn't called Marvel U (like a University) than someone deserves to be fired lol

As much as a headache as it can be, Marvel's sliding timescale is nothing compared to the cluster that is DC's sliding timescale lmao

I have to remember that the 90's Generation X mutants kind of fell off the radar hard for a *long* time until now when they're starting to pop back up, probably a couple years from now, when younger writers get a crack at the X-books, the Academy X kids will get their time in the spotlight again.

Tim likes this.
  4. blast0rama Nov 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2020)
    blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

6. Tim

Out of things I expected to see today, a fake Megan Thee Stallion post dunking on poor Chuck Austen (whose name they didn’t even get right) wasn’t one of them.

Show me the lie though.

7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

whoops

8. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

here’s something a bit more accurate!

RyanPm40 and blast0rama like this.
  9. blast0rama

I can't recall a movie I was more disappointed by in theaters*, even X-Men: The Last Stand didn't bring me down as hard as X-Men: Apocalypse did.

I mean, Days of Future Past ruled, and then you tell me that Oscar Issac (whom I developed a massive fandom of post Ex Machina and The Force Awakens) was going to be Apocalypse? I mean, hell yeah. And I loved X-Men: First Class, so I was excited to see that timeline get its own "sequel" finally.

I'm a person who strives really hard to sit and watch a movie in its entirety in a theater, but I bounced to pee midway through the weird ass Weapon X sequence, which ends with Logan just wandering into the woods.

Garbage.

*I watched Dark Phoenix on iTunes, and have The New Mutants currently waiting for me just the same. I hate money, I guess.

10. Tim

It’s wild how Fox had multiple chances to reboot between 2009 & 2016/17, but never went for it.

Like, imagine if, after Origins, they’d done either a hard reboot or a non-prequel soft reboot (with a new class brought into the original trilogy’s school)? Or, if they’d treated First Class as a one-off prequel; or, if they’d treated Days of Future Past as the end of an era? So many places to veer off & course correct.

Instead, they got stuck in the whole period piece thing that didn’t really make sense, that went two films without doing any work building a real X-team, that just chased the Jennifer Lawrence star that never really quite fit.

blast0rama likes this.
  11. blast0rama

I actually really enjoyed Lawrence in First Class, but after that, it was Fulfilling A Contract City, and she was the mayor.

I think they just got way too hung up on "HOW DO WE BRING BACK JACKMAN?!" which I hope is the exact opposite of what happens with the Marvel Studios version, whenever it happens. (The 2030's, at this rate?)

Alba likes this.
  12. blast0rama

Also, as a fellow massive fan of the Hickman run, I think you're gonna be into this, @Tim...

Apparently leftovers go up on dudes shop in December.

Tim likes this.
  13. Tim

I mean, I’m biased as one of the few X-Men fans who really doesn’t care for First Class, lol. Really don’t think it has much going for it outside of Xavier & Magneto.

They did get way too caught up in Wolverine, as is common for Marvel stuff, as much as I love the character. But, I’d argue the Jennifer Lawrence star got in their way more. Without her, it would’ve been easier to move on from the period piece status quo that handcuffed them too much creatively.

14. Tim

Also, on the note of Hickman, while totally not subtweeting another one of those movies...

How perfect is Rod Reis at drawing New Mutants? Love these opening pages from their current series:

CBC205C3-37D3-437C-B7D1-093066F16F97.jpeg

5330E7EC-4781-49F0-845E-309F9CA59B40.jpeg

0DC3DCCD-A1E1-4FB4-A8E6-CB4BA543A1AA.jpeg

So glad he’s staying on when Vita Ayala takes over next month. His style feels like Phil Noto with some Bill Sienkiewicz mixed in, which is exactly what this book should look like right now.

blast0rama likes this.
  15. blast0rama

When I first got to those issues in the Dawn of X trades, I thought for sure it was Noto.

But yeah, Reis rules.

Tim likes this.
  16. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Pretty much everything in Hickman's run has had absolutely gorgeous art (even Fallen Angels had its moments IMO)

blast0rama likes this.
  17. Tim

I dunno, Fallen Angels was pretty rough, lol. Not surprised it’s the only series that didn’t last.

Glad Hickman put X-23 back in a Wolverine-style costume, & glad Gabby is gonna be in New Mutants. That first All-New Wolverine arc by Tom Taylor & David Lopez might’ve been the one truly great X-story to come out of those Inhumans vs X-Men dark ages.

18. Furry Werthers

Trusted

So, I'm enjoying Swords of X, but uh... what really was the whole point of the "if you die in Otherworld, you come back scrambled" track? Like, beyond Rockslide, nobody has died, because it seems extremely obvious Betsy's story isn't over and she isn't "dead" it seems like it was just there to pretend like there isn't a resurrection machine and then it seemed like a big wash. Oh well, maybe there's a bloodbath next week lol

19. Dodge725

Trusted

I think it was to subvert the expectations of what the tournament actually is. They set the stakes as if you die, you die and you’re expecting all these crazy sword fights to the death and you get...very different contests. I think it further reenforces that this is all a joke to Saturnyne, but the stakes are so high for everyone else.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  20. Tim

Has anything happened with Doug yet? Not paying attention to X of Swords ‘til it’s collected, but I did buy the New Mutants issue (‘cause, again, Rod Reis art, + that Peach Momoko variant), which spent a lot of time talking about how he’s probably gonna die. And, the covers & preview for Vita’s New Mutants have Warlock w/out Doug.

Speaking of New Mutants (which I’ve done a lot recently), picked up the Marvel Voices: Indigenous Voices one shot. The Dani Moonstar short story by Darcie Little Badger & Kyle Charles was pretty good. Some of the storytelling could’ve been a little tighter, but the bit about Dani being both Cheyenne & Krakoan was nice. Fits pretty tidily into the current Hickman world.

21. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Nothing has really happened with anyone... there's been like maybe 4 or 5 actual battles

He did get married though lol

22. Tim

23. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I'd explain it but it's enjoyably weird so I'll spoil no further lol

Tim likes this.
  24. Tim

Good Hickman-era mutant content:

224BFD40-949B-42BE-BB75-CA8688220162.jpeg

...vs, the bad Hickman-era mutant content Dan Slott apparently tossed into the latest issue of Fantastic Four (spoilers, if you care & haven't already been spoiled):

Attached Files:

25. Furry Werthers

Trusted

I mean... to be fair, at least it makes sense to me that Dani would be more open to the idea and Xavier would be an ass about it, but yeah... weird move by Slott unless they've got something else planned down the line. Just seems like retcon material for sure.