Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer, May 27, 2016) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 17, 2016.

1. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

honest question, would it be better if Apocalypse was attacking her in some sort of fantastical way?
    is the problem that we see a woman being harmed in a way that is very real to us vs something that you only see in comics/movies?

2. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I can obviously only speak for myself, but yes. In superhero/comic book movies, I expect to see everyone getting their ass kicked at some point. Not that the ads would ever have utilized this, but seeing a billboard with Magneto's hands outstretched and a car heading obviously towards Mystique wouldn't really have made me think twice. I think this specific shot is in very poor taste. Seeing it mid-movie wouldn't have triggered anything for me personally (for others it might, again I can only talk about myself) but driving around on a Saturday trying to get errands done and just randomly seeing the image of a man choking a woman plastered everywhere (at one point I drove a block and it was on a billboard, bus stop, and a bench all on the same block) isn't something I'm comfortable with.

I think it also needs to be seen in the context of comic book history. Like I mentioned earlier, this ad exists in a genre where the harming and pain of women is consistently sexualized. It doesn't exist in a vacuum. This was a completely poor and unnecessary choice of ad focus

3. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

thanks, joining ap/chorus has opened up my eyes to all sorts of issues I never would have even considered before, and I'm glad that there are reasonable folks around here like yourself to help educate people like me on those issues.

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'm just excited to see Sophie Turner as Jean. Everything else will be bonus.

5. jellyfishfossil

Regular

Even though the embargo doesn't lift until tomorrow some critics have posted their reactions to Twitter.

Flaurent Soki- #XMenApocalypse is an interesting look at how comic book movie are done. I cannot say much out here but Goodness... Ahhhhhh!!

Impressive 10

----

Hazel Hayes- #XMenApocalypse reminded me of being a kid, running home from school to watch the X-Men cartoon, and falling in love with superheroes

----

Jack Howard- I've seen X-Men: Apocalypse!

It's big and silly and fun. Everyone performs well. I'm especially impressed with Sophie Turner!

----

Dean Dobbs- Just seen #XMenApocalypse! A solid, loud and violent romp of a movie. Also Oscar Isaac is fantastic. No debate.

----

Benjamin Martin- Just witnessed the new XMEN movie @XApocalypse2016 @xmenmovies IT WAS INSANE. I am only allowed to tweet my reaction(s). So...(insert happy and excited emojis)

6. jellyfishfossil

Regular

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'd rather not go down the Phoenix path again. Give me Mr. Sinister or Genosha. I'd say Onslaught, but he is a bit too close to Apocalypse in terms of scope.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

we're all learning and growing

9. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

I would love to see Mr. Sinister or Proteus.

10. Davjs

Trusted

Onslaught would be epic and could be played out very well with Mcavoy and Fassbender if they come back. Mr. Sinister is way over due though, especially since the next film was just reported to be taking part in the 90s.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

12. jellyfishfossil

Regular

This movie is getting crazy mixed reviews. I'm not going to read anything in-depth though.

13. jellyfishfossil

Regular

"I’m okay with all of this, but I wish they had kept Isaac out of the makeup, as well. I get that Apocalypse in the movie resembles his comic book counterpart, but who cares? (He kind of looks silly on screen, to be honest.)"

The reviewer doesn't seem like he enjoys the reality of a "comic book film" if he thinks Apocalypse should have not had any makeup so that he could just be Oscar Issac.

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I might skip it. I was meh on First Class and skipped DOFP and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Yeah, its 10/15 rotten right now. I don't think it is going to go much higher than maybe 50%.

16. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

His performance could always transcend the way the character seems to be presented, but on the face of it I think I can see why people might think it's a waste of an actor like Isaac.

17. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It'd be easier to take Oscar Isaac seriously than a distracting CGI/makeup mess. Granted this is a comic book movie and it's sort of the nature of the beast but it does personally irk me when an actor as great as Isaac or Lupita Nyong'o is hidden behind CGI or makeup. I think that's a part of why Loki translated as Mavel's most engaging and beloved villain.

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

DOFP was pretty great.

19. jellyfishfossil

Regular

DOFP is a better film than First Class, imo. I would recommend at least streaming it online.

20. jellyfishfossil

Regular

21. MattLikesSsips

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

You make a good point about the villains, Loki in particular. Even with the Joker, the CGI and makeup isn't in mass so the characters seems more human and you get a bit more emotion out of them visually. Or at least I think so anyway.

22. Yeah, I'd take DFOP over almost all the recent Marvel releases. Definitely was better than Civil War.

jellyfishfossil likes this.
  23. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I think I've reached a saturation point and it's making enjoying all of these films far harder to do. I just don't think watching another film with major cities being destroyed and floating about is going to be all that appealing. It pisses me off because of all the comic book characters, the X-Men have always been my favorite.

24. nchlsnwtn

Regular Prestigious

never viewed a single xmen film. thinking about this one only to continue witnessing the success wave Oscar Isaac is riding.

25. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Some reviews I've read say he is great, others say he is completely wasted. Reviews are all over the fucking place.