Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer, May 27, 2016) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Singer had some kind words for fans.

“So then people were like, ‘He’s small.’ I’m like, ‘Okay, I got the same s*** when I cast a six-foot-three actor to play five-foot-four Wolverine. I got the same s*** when Quicksilver’s very sweet, 1970s costume was released on an Empire Magazine cover.’ You know, every time. I could have made him a giant through the whole movie, or some muscle-bound guy who can’t act — I could always do that. But the reality is, among his many powers — and you will see him change size — but among his many powers is his power of persuasion, and it was very important that he’d be able to connect with his horsemen, at their level, and that he’d be played by a guy who can actually act like Oscar, who’s a fantastic actor.”

2. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

3. Davjs

Trusted

He's not wrong. I tire of everyone's knee jerk reactions about things that end up being good in the film. Even if something doesn't hit with me when announced, I know it'll usually work well in the context of the movie so I don't worry about it.

OwainGlyndwr likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Thanks, Fox, for picking a gif of Mystique being choked without context for a promoted tweet. I'm sure everyone on Twitter who saw that promoted tweet wanted a man choking a woman on their feed.

Here.

:-|

5. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I mean in the context of blue mutant super heroes that may both be the most asexual in the Marvel gallery...may not be as suggestive as you are implying. Lol

6. Tim

How is Mystique even remotely asexual? And regardless, the visual of a powerful man choking a woman in a repeated gif loop is still a terrible one to use as an ad on Twitter.

7. jellyfishfossil May 7, 2016
    (Last edited: May 7, 2016)
    jellyfishfossil

Regular

Actually, it's a very powerful and evil mutant choking a hero mutant because that character is trying to stop whatever disaster is in motion. The last thing that goes through the mind of X-Men fans is "why is that guy choking that woman". You trying to make it into abuse against women instead of just what it is, a villain choking a hero, seems as if you're intentional trying to find something wrong just for the sake of arguing about it.

Women shouldn't have major parts of the film (that they're in) taken out of promotional gifs just because they are women and are losing a fight against an incredibly powerful villain. J Law read the script, she has said she is happy with the film, she has stated that she would like to return. It's unfair to her to say that promotional footage featuring her character shouldn't be allowed because you don't like how good vs evil works. It's going to be a major part of the climatic fight and creates tension by showing how powerful Apocalypse is.

Davjs and Jusscali like this.
  8. Tim

I'm not saying that the scene can't happen. I'm say the image without context is a bad choice for a promoted tweet. Those are different things.

Nathan likes this.
  9. Davjs

Trusted

Triggered.

10. Transient_Hymn

I mean couldnt mystique live her life as a man If she chose. Would it be a less offensive picture if it was apocalypse choking mystique if she was false wolverine ?

Just feels like a complete non-issue.

Davjs likes this.
  11. Tim

If you're not willing to engage in this kind of dialogue, this is the wrong website for you, so either try to listen and take this seriously, or please just leave.

Yes, a man being choked carries less weight than a woman being choked by a man. That is an image that calls to mind abuse that is incredibly common and often ignored in society. And again, I'm not saying that scene can't be in a film. But, it's not wise to pick this image, out of all the images they could have picked, to be looped and thrown into people's Twitter feeds as ads.

And, what you're describing is not asexual. To the best of my knowledge, she identifies as a woman and is pansexual (in the comics). Being able to change doesn't make her automatically "asexual."

12. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Seriously with this shit?

13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I loved First Class and DOFP so I'm hoping this will be great too.

14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I'm incredibly excited, but incredibly nervous as well.

15. Transient_Hymn

Yeah i guess asexual is the wrong word.
    But pan might not be plural enough. Haha

We obviously disagree here but I understand why you find it upsetting.
    I always struggle putting clearly human issues onto things as fantastical as this

Either way stoked to see the movie and cant wait to nitpick singers strange take on this universe.

16. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Asexual and pansexual don't mean similar things

As far as that gif goes, I think it's completely unnecessary. Like Tim said, there are probably countless other scenes that depict that power struggle that are less offensive out of context. I actually know someone that was triggered by that ad popping up. If they wanted to use a gif with Apocalypse and Mystique, which is more than understandable from a marketing perspective, I don't believe for a second there wasn't a more tasteful clip that could've been used

Tim likes this.
  17. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I also just drove past a billboard with the same image

18. jellyfishfossil

Regular

The image is obviously a major part of the climatic fight scene. It shows in one photo how powerful and aggressive Apocalypse is. Being that Mystique is the biggest character that will be taking hits from Apocalypse during the final fight (Xavier will obviously be in a wheelchair and Magneto is one of the horsemen), I see it to be reasonable that they have chosen this photo to give a "first glimpse" to people who stumble upon it or drive by it (directed towards the billboard above).

The photo wouldn't have the same effect if it was a side character that no one cared for at the moment and wasn't in the previous two films. It also wouldn't be as effective if Apocalypse was just standing next to the hero instead of being physically aggressive to them. To me, this photo shows what the Apocalypse is all about and it shows the terror that the X-Men will come face-to-face with.

Like I said earlier, X-Men fans will not be looking at it with gender-roles in mind. When I was saw it in a commercial I thought "Oh Damn" because Apocalypse was taking out a hero with ease and I believe that is the message that is meant to be given.

19. jellyfishfossil May 7, 2016
    (Last edited: May 7, 2016)
    jellyfishfossil

Regular

The marketing business can't fit the needs of everyone. There are limitations to what the studio will show prior to the release date. Just because people have minds full of abuse instead of seeing it as comic book power struggles is not a large enough excuse for the studio to release more material than they already have.

From a fan, I would be way more intimidated if Apocalypse was choking Cyclops and you could see the red light in Cyclops' eyes dimming. Ads like this are not directed toward people like me though.

20. jellyfishfossil

Regular

21. Maybe try not projecting your own preferences and mindset onto everyone else.

Can you not appreciate the arrogance and naivete of speaking for the entire X-Men fandom?

22. jellyfishfossil

Regular

Are you attempting to say that X-Men fans are more-than-likely to think of abusing women just from watching female heroes clash from male villains? We're not all psychopaths.

23. It seems as if you're not actually reading any of the responses to you.

24. jellyfishfossil

Regular

How have you came to that conclusion? I have addressed some of the comments in my replies.

Can you tell me why you think more people will see this as abuse against a woman instead of just a fight between two comic book characters? There has to be a mental state to both. One is comic book related while the other isn't and the marketing for this film is aimed for people who will view it from a comic book perspective. The marketing people at Fox probably didn't even view it as abuse against women and the overall feedback from it won't represent that people see it as abuse, at least not to the point to where changing the promos is necessary.

Fox is a business.

25. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

It would have just been a better move to go with something else. Every X-Men fan should already know what Apocalypse is capable of without having her being choked in a loop.

Tim likes this.