Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer, May 27, 2016) Movie • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Agreed! Haha, it's such a weird moment for me. I like the Quicksilver scenes despite how inappropriately timed this particular one may be.

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

Might be a bit nitpicky too, but pretty convenient that Quiksilver finally decided to visit the school right as it's being blown to pieces.

Jdaniels likes this.
  3. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Or how he couldn't stop Stryker when he arrived.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  4. drstrong

I'm Back.

Watched this yesterday and it's the first X-men movie that I didn't like.

-Lawrence taking the lead is getting old.
    -The lack of Storm was also pretty stupid.
    -But the biggest complaint would have to be the easy defeat of by far the biggest threat to the X-Men as a whole. I don't know, just didn't feel that any of them were in any real danger. The sentinels were more of a threat in Day's of Future Past.

Also, since we're getting a somewhat deep cut with the Mister Sinister reference, can we please get Omega Red? When speaking of threats to the X-men, Omega Red was by far the most dangerous to Wolverine, and he would look awesome on screen.

Curious to see if they're going the old cartoon look of Sinister (might be confusing because Dr. Strange looks similar), of if they'll go with something different.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

If they are doing Weapon X, that is where Omega Red fits in. I don't see him working in an X-Men film.

6. drstrong

I'm Back.

Something about Omega Red I always found cool both from the cartoons to the trading cards. I never would have imagined Apocalypse or Mister Sinister being involved in any way.

7. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I enjoyed this, possibly because my expectations were so low from all the reviews. I went in treating it like I was about to watch an episode of the cartoon, not a high-end film. I understand where most of the complaints are coming from, they just don't prevent me from liking the movie.

It's interesting that both BvS and this used (negative version: wasted) arguably their coolest villains in what seem like middle-entries of the franchises though.

8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Watched this last night and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it really. Thought the villain was actually pretty cool. Completely different than anything we've seen.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I liked this, but HATED Apocolypse. He was super lame

10. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I just want the deleted mall sequence with Jubilee to end up on YouTube so I can watch that and only that as much as I want. Otherwise, I'm quite alright forgetting that this came out. Glad some people enjoyed it, though.

Hopefully the New Mutants film is much better.

11. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

This movie was a super disappointment after DoFP. Thank god New Mutants seems to be coming out before the next main X film as a nice refresher. Hopefully they don't reboot after the negative reaction to Apocalypse, but:

- Ditch Lawrence. For good. Don't ever need Mystique in these movies again.
    - Keep Cyke, Jean, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Quicksilver, plus ACTUALLY USE Jubilee
    - Bring in some classic newbies like Shadowcat, Pixie, Sunfire, and/or Forge. Maybe even Dazzler!

Does anyone know when New Mutants is supposed to take place in the timeline? I heard they might be putting the current Storm in it, which would probably date it in the late 80s/early 90s. Which I hope isn't true. Make it current day to utilize the connection to the new Colossus for Magik. Heck, Negasonic Teenage Warhead was wearing a New Mutants uniform, so they get to use her too. Which links the film to the much more successful Deadpool. Win-Win.

12. Tim

Honestly, the best bet is probably to use New Mutants, Deadpool, and Legion (plus Gambit if that still materializes, which I still want to see) as a soft reboot, though I'm sure they're not willing to commit to that.

This recent X-Men trilogy, if treated at canon, completely wrecks continuity as far as character ages are concerned, even if they abandon the decade jumps and commit long-term to the 80s. Plus, Hugh Jackman is retiring from Wolverine after this next solo film, and who knows how much longer Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan are available. I hate to lose Michael Fassbender's Magneto, but he doesn't speak well of these films anyways, and the rest of that cast is expendable as far as I'm concerned. Just use these new franchises to reset the X-Men world, and then slowly recast these roles down the road, perhaps eventually leading organically to a new X-Men film that better represents the comics.

The New Mutants film is (I think) confirmed to include Dani Moonstar, Magik, Sunspot, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Warlock, and Professor X. In my dream world, they would recast Xavier as part of this soft reboot I want, and this would be set in present day, with costumes just like Negasonic Teenage Warhead's in Deadpool. A cameo by her would be fun.

Dazzler is a character that I think could carry her own film. A standard tale of a young musician in her 20s barely getting by and trying to achieve her dreams, but with comic book fun thrown in? Yes, please! It wouldn't even have to be too expensive. As for Forge (who hopefully would be played by an actual Native American, like Dani Moonstar better be!), I still think that he could be perfect as direct support/romantic interest for Ororo in a Storm solo film with Callisto as the villain, but hey, why would that ever happen? That'd require Fox to actually understand this toy box they have at their disposal.

13. Enjoyed this. Not great, but some good stuff over all.

14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

jellyfishfossil and Tim like this.
  15. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

After seeing this, I really think they need to start off fresh after Hugh Jackman's last Wolverine movie. I really liked the new cast but the continuity is completely jacked up. Bryan Singer has served the franchise well, but it's clear that it's time to find fresh creative blood.

Question for the readers of the books. Does every X-men story have an undercurrent of mutant discrimination running under it? Does the in-universe public draw a distinction between members of the X-Men and "bad" mutants? Are mutants constantly just fighting among themselves over their own interests?

16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Super cornball scene, but so was the rest of the movie. Man, did it need a scene like this.

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

That was an awesome scene. STILL NO DAZZLER.

18. Tim

That literally would have been hands down the best scene in the entire film. JUBILEE USES HER POWERS TO RESTART AN ARCADE GAME, DANG IT. WHO FILMS THAT AND THEN CUTS IT? Screw you, Singer. I just hope even more now that the New Mutants film reaches its full potential.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I don't blame Singer for the studio wanting a darker tone.

20. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Okay that mall scene was pretty funny. Still enjoyed the movie though.

21. jellyfishfossil

Regular

Simon Kinberg said the next X-Men films will take place in the 90s but we don't know if he was talking about New Mutants or an actual X-Men film.

With Cable, Deadpool would be able to time travel to the 90s but I feel like Fox is saving a Deadpool and X-Men meet up for a future film that is further than we expect.

22. Davjs

Trusted

Mall scene was ok, I don't think it being left in would have swayed my opinion of the movie any differently. I wish Jubilee had just gone with them on the main mission, just seeing her use her powers on Joust wouldn't have been enough IMO.

Did they explain why no one freaked out about Nightcrawler?

23. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

The scene was pretty underwhelming for me. Not bad, but it fixes none of the problems the movie had. They could have left it in, but I can also see why they cut it.

Davjs likes this.
  24. Tim

Obviously the movie would have still sucked without that scene, but another good memorable scene would have made it suck just a little less. It's simply one of many terrible, puzzling decisions in this film (like awkwardly writing Jubilee out of the second half of the film).

Jdaniels likes this.
  25. Tim

Yes, her not following along was crap and nonsensical. But, while that scene wouldn't have been enough, going through the effort of having Jubilee use her sparkles in a mall arcade, and then removing that is something I just can't forgive, lol.

Um. Because 80s, because comics?