Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer, May 27, 2016) Movie • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

2. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

I'm with you. First Class isn't flawless but when it gets it right it pretty much nails it, and that was probably the last time I was really invested in one of these films. Then again I haven't seen this one, not that I'm that hopeful about it.

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

What made First Class great was the limited scope compared to this big "apocalyptic" mess, and the casting of the leads. McAvoy and Fassbender are so good in that.

Also totally on board with @Tim that :storm: was the best thing here and that we need more Jubilee

Jdaniels likes this.
  4. I was pretty indifferent on :storm: tbh. She looked cool, though. With the little bit we got, I liked what we saw from Jubilee.

5. Tim

I thought her performance in her scene with Apocalypse showed that she could have done a great job with a real role in a better-written film.

Jdaniels likes this.
  6. I wasn't really swayed one way or the other. I would've liked seeing more of her to get a better feel for the character, though.

7. GameOfThrones

Regular

Jubilee was in the movie?

ChaseTx and thedrudo like this.
  8. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Saw it last night and didn't care for it. The worst of the new trilogy for sure.

Apocalypse didn't do much other than make lengthy speeches. It was insane.

Fassbender, McAvoy and that Quicksilver scene are the only things that saved this movie for me.

ChaseTx likes this.
  9. Jdaniels

Regular

Storm started so strong and yet they didn't use her great after that, except that Cyclops scene was awesome.

Give me that last scene, of the full team, with First Class styling((rewatch that movie! Yeah flaws but the hellfire club was a great villain!! Plus the variety of scenes... You had a tone throughout the movie Singer lacks.))

10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I didn't really like the Quicksilver scene in this one sadly.

11. GameOfThrones

Regular

Quicksilver to the rescue--I liked that scene. I'll rewatch First Class again, but I don't remember it standing out to me as much as this film did. If I recall correctly it's about Sentinels and Wolverine going back in time to of course save the day?

12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

That's Days of Future Past.

13. GameOfThrones

Regular

Oh wow, I just looked up First Class after you said that. Didn't know it came out 5 years ago! But I saw it, don't remember who the main villain was though--maybe Magneto.

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It was kind of Magneto and kind of Kevin Bacon.

15. GameOfThrones

Regular

Holy, I don't remember Kevin Bacon in it at all. After reading the summary it was coming to me, but I didn't want to read too much and ruin the movie for me again ;-p

Jdaniels likes this.
  16. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

See I thought this scene was horribly undercut by the awfully placed Stan Lee cameo. The stakes should be at the highest at this point and it should give off a sense of fear for Apocalypse, but hey, perfect time to put in Stan Lee and give everyone a laugh. Completely took me out of it.

Jdaniels likes this.
  17. GameOfThrones

Regular

hahah, it would have been fine, they just kept it on him a tad too long. But if they just went from family to family it would have been deeper

18. Tim

Emma Frost in First Class was so, so terrible. They need to reboot the franchise and put her on the team, with a characterization like Morrison gave her in New X-Men.

19. GameOfThrones

Regular

I want a Gambit movie...Hopefully it hasn't been completely scrapped--even though I don't love Tatum

20. ChaseTx

I didn't see his cameo as a humorous thing

21. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

There wasn't another moment in the movie where the theater I was at laughed any harder

22. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I got laughs during the cameo too.

23. jellyfishfossil

Regular

It didn't bother me much because he didn't speak. No one in my theater laughed.

24. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I think the worst part about the Quicksilver scene is that, much like several other scenes in this film, it tends to feel a little tone deaf. Or a lot tone deaf depending on who you ask I suppose. Unlike his scene in the last film, this one takes place amidst the screenplay's low point. The mansion is being annihilated, Xavier just got kidnapped by Apocalypse and Havoc just got blown to smithereens and YET it's all abruptly interrupted by the Eurythmics and it just feels...goofy.

jmwhit04 and awakeohsleeper like this.
  25. ChaseTx

I agree about the weird placement, but it's still easily the most entertaining moment in the film.

Nyquist likes this.