Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men: Apocalypse (Bryan Singer, May 27, 2016) Movie • Page 15

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 17, 2016.

1. I remember that scene. It's a common concept in time travel movies. The timeline is like a river. You can throw rocks in it and cause ripples, but it always ends up flowing in the same direction.

I thought DoFP was going against this theory though, given that they prevent the Sentinels from happening and erase the events of the first 3 movies. Guess it only applies to Wolverine. I would've been fine with him saying, "Ya, we thought it'd be interesting to have Mystique as Stryker catch him at the end, but it didn't go anywhere. Let's all just say it was just Stryker." lol

coleslawed and Nyquist like this.
  2. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

lol it's just such a weird misnomer. "Time is immutable or whatever, right? That's what we said in that last script, right? Yeah that's it. So, you know, it was just gonna happen anyway or whatever and so it does and we just don't see how or whatever."

Like, why did you even do it then?

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Meh, I don't buy into the malarkey about Marvel not caring about X-Men because of the rights.

They clearly limit them in merchandizing and avoid creating new mutant characters so their new characters can be in their films. However, the declining slope of quality for the X-Men predates the MCU. Also, they're currently putting out Extraordinary X-Men, All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Old Man Logan, All-New Wolverine, and multiple Deadpool books including one shared with Gambit, plus mutants in other titles.

4. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I really liked all the X-Men arcs in the mid 2000s. Not saying it's intentional. Just saying you go with what brings money. So of course there are exceptions like Wolverine and Deadpool which I'm sure will do well and will be quality. But their team stuff? Ehhh..

5. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I found this completely unenjoyable. I felt like it couldn't figure out what tone it was going for. Most of the comedy fell very flat and uncomfortably. JLaw clearly didn't care about being part of this movie. At this point, I'm pretty bored with Magneto and ready to see something else from these movies. I'm looking forward to seeing more from Sophie as Jean, Storm, and Jubilee. But for the most part I spent the whole movie wishing it would end

6. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I watched DOFP again last night and damn it made me dislike this even more.

7. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I really do not think X-Men will do good in the MCU. The X-Men universe is so large by itself that exploring the characters and giving them screen time would be hard when having to make them share screen time with other characters in the MCU. Right now we are on the edge of exploring many more corners of the X-Men universe (Cable/Deadpool 2, New Mutants, X-Force, Gambit solo film, new Wolverine movie, Mr. Sinister) and with the MCU we would have to get only one X-Men film every 3 - 4 years that will only focus on the main team (we'll see the top 5 X-Men in the Avengers films or something) but it would be impossible to get as many characters that the movies handle now and are about to handle.

Combine that with having to go through more origin stories for Professor X, Magneto, and the X-Men I'll pass. They would have a difficult time on explaining how mutants are now only getting known. I don't think any new actors for Professor X and Magneto can top McAvoy and Fassbender so it will be another Leto playing the Joker too soon after Ledger situation with me.

I would be down for a crossover film or two though. They could easily have the two universes collide due to the events of Infinity War or Scarlet Witch.

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Won't happen. Plus, it would be so sanitized under Marvel's flag.

The best that "X-Men" fans that don't like the films can hope for is that one day they'll reach an agreement, like Sony with "Spider-Man."

9. Tim

Bored with Magneto!? How dare you! lol. I want all of him.

Just give me an X-Men film with Magneto, Storm, and Jubilee. Burn the rest.

Jdaniels likes this.
  10. Magneto in Poland was the best part of this movie. Wish the the whole movie would've been about that.

After Apocalypse recruited him he just became part of the overall snoozefest this movie was.

11. Tim

I don't like the current team books, but I wouldn't blame it on lack of effort. The flagship title is written by Jeff Lemire, who's really well liked in the comic world atm, and illustrated by Humberto Ramos, who I don't care for but who's a big name after working on Amazing Spider-Man. The titles just have reached their peak already and need something above and beyond at this point to stand out.

12. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Id like to see Marvel grab this and hold off on movies for a bit and instead develop an origin Netflix series to re-establish all the characters that have been flubbed.

Then get really wild with the movies with little to bo exposition around origins "outside" of the villains.

A man can dream. But I think something with as much care as GoT received would make this Marvels #1 property by a large margin.

coleslawed and Aaron Mook like this.
  13. Tim

At this point, I don't want X-Men in the MCU. I just want someone better than Singer and Kinsberg running the universe.

In an ideal world, Fox would keep F4 but make a Sony-style deal with Marvel Studios, bringing them into the MCU. Then, the X-Men universe would be brought into the same multiverse, with occasional inter dimensional crossover.

KimmyGibbler likes this.
  14. Meerkat

@Tim I'm not a big fan of him as an actor. And at this point I feel like they're just telling the same story over and over in regards to him. I'm ready for something new

15. Tim

That's fair... I just really disagree, lol. I mean, I do agree that the writing for the character has gotten annoyingly cyclical, but I still like what he did with his scenes here more than literally anyone else with a prominent role. I'd be down with him replacing Xavier, tbh.

Though, let's be real, the greatest crime of this film was the mishandling of Storm. :storm: She was awesome in her one scene before becoming a mindless minion, more awesome than basically any hero in the film. In addition to the still infuriating decision to make her a villain, they literally gave her fewer lines than Jubilee... who was the second greatest crime. She was super cool but never used her powers, even though she could have followed her three mall buddies. But hey, screw WOC, right? :pantherworried:

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. Meerkat

@Tim I don't understand at all why Jubilee wasn't involved in any of that. Overall I just don't understand why they made a lot of the choices they did. Siiiiigh

Tim likes this.
  17. I really want to see that deleted mall scene.

Tim and Davjs like this.
  18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Jubilee is pretty underwhelming and doesn't warrant a major role imo.

19. Tim

Nope. She's awesome and would have been a highlight.

[​IMG]

ChaseTx and Henry like this.
  20. I just like seeing asian superheroes on the big screen, so I'm completely down for more Jubilee if they can make her a cool character. Don't remember if Blink had any actual lines in DoFP, but her action scenes were awesome and one of my favorite things about that movie.

Tim and TellYourFriends like this.
  21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Blink was definitely the best part of that film for me. Those future set pieces were beautiful.

22. Tim

I don't think Blink talked? Nothing consequential at least. And yet she was a clear highlight. If I had to rank the coolest looking powers on screen ever, her portals would be up there. They should seriously consider bringing her back for an Exiles film, which would be cooler than most of what they're doing right now.

It'd be effortless to make Jubilee cool. She could have provided so much charm and sass to this film. Based on how they're doing things, though, I'm betting she's gone until the next time they retcon her for another cameo. Such a waste.

ChaseTx, Jdaniels and Joe like this.
  23. I definitely watched the animated X-Men series, but can't remember anything about her or the show other than the intro lol. I hope she's not gone. It'd suck if she was relegated to basically a cameo in Apocalypse and not brought back for the next movie.

24. Tim

Literally everyone remembers that intro, lol. Probably even people who never saw it. That song will be in my head 'til I die. But yeah, Jubilee was a great POV character in the pilot episode. I love the scene my gif references, where she breaks the game with her powers, the owner says, "Do you know know how much that game costs!?" and she says, "Yeah, a quarter."

ChaseTx, Jdaniels and Joe like this.
  25. Jdaniels

Regular

I wish we got another one like first class, either in that style or just "different". Make sense? First Class is better than dofp for me. Apocalypse wasn't bad. Dofp wasn't either, I'm just tired of wolverine I think.

ChaseTx likes this.