Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don't know what this is but I will def be participating

2. Write write write!

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  3. How's it going?

4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Tuesdays are my busiest days work-wise. Since part of my job involves driving around and that's when I do my best thinking, I'll be refining some ideas for one of the narratives I've thought up. Hopefully I'll be able to put those on paper and then the paper on the screen later on.

5. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

Not great. Working now. I guess I have more time to figure out what I want to do...? :/

6. You should record voice memos! Talk out your ideas, or even speak out ideas for paragraphs, dialogue, etc. Then you can just transcribe your voice memos later to have a head start.

theagentcoma likes this.
  7. ^^^ I'm going on a road trip this week with 11 hour drives Wednesday and Sunday. I doubt I'll be able to use my laptop or even a journal on the road without getting carsick really quickly, so I'll probably try to record a lot of ideas this way (or until the other two people in the car can't stand it anymore).

theagentcoma and TedSchmosby like this.
  8. Gotta get started somehow! I got off to a really slow start, but it's moving along a bit better now that I'm getting a better grip on the characters.

I'll tell you what, though, nothing slows me down more than trying to come up with names for characters. I might pause for fifteen minutes just to name a single character.

theagentcoma likes this.
  9. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I'll be beginning mine this evening.

Chase Tremaine and lish like this.
  10. Awesome! Do you have a participant page on nanowrimo.org?

11. Garrett

I do! It's mostly out of date: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/silhouetteship

I'm at just under 1k thus far. Not sure how much further I'm getting today. I won in 2013, was 30k in during 2014 but had a realization that I had to revamp my entire plot and quit. Didn't do 15 because of work. The one I won with in 2013 is almost publishing ready, so gonna query starting soon.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  12. lish

Just clocked out. Here we go... :|

13. lish

I lied. I'm getting some tea first.

I'm going to live blog my procrastination.

14. Very nice! Just added you as a writing buddy. Last year was my first time trying and I only got 8,000 words in. I'm feeling much better (and much better-prepared) this year. Awesome that you're almost publish-ready, how exciting!!

lish likes this.
  15. Garrett

Good luck! What genre are you writing in? It took a ton of revision and editing work, but it's been so worth it. I'll add you back now.

16. lish

267. And yeah, this defs sounds super dumb. It's almost like I'm writing high school me but with a few changes and I know I'm going to be into it but right now it's super dumb. lol

17. Thanks!

I've got my book listed as "Literary" but it's more so a mix of social commentary in a sci-fi setting. I don't think any fantasy elements will make their way in, but hey, we'll see. I'm not opposed to it. You?

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. Leftandleaving

I hope to. I started writing (what I hope will become) a novel a couple months back. Hoping I can use this to finish it

19. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm co-writing a novel with my wife right now. Guess this can be our excuse to focus on that in evenings this month!

Chase Tremaine and Garrett L. like this.
  20. Garrett

Sounds awesome!

Well, I've been working on a contemporary story that dealt with depression for three years, so I'm writing a fantasy book that is just meant to be a lot of fun... while also working in some of my current social issues because fantasy allows for so much room in commentary when handled rightly.

fluxyjoe and Chase Tremaine like this.
  21. Yeah, that's a great idea! I'm picking up an idea I had years ago, I think in early college or late high school, that I never actually started writing.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  22. Dooo iiiittttt

23. Leftandleaving

Best of luck, sir!

24. Right. Sounds like a great plan! I'm worried that the social commentary aspects of my story might get pretty heavy-handed...but those shouldn't started appearing until about halfway through the story, so hopefully the characters and plot will be fleshed out strongly enough by that point such that the social aspects of the plot will feel natural and earned. We shall see!

25. Garrett

And remember: first drafts can be heavy handed and clunky. Just finish it. Editing is a lot of work, but the hard work is done!

lish and Chase Tremaine like this.