Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 5

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. m.schaef182

Anyone have any experience with self publishing? Recommendations? I've looked at a few options online, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has done it before.

I'm not looking to publish a novel or a traditional creative work. While I do consider myself a writer in the loosest sense of the word, this is for a gift idea that I've been tossing around in my head for about a year. It would be about 50 pages (give or take) and would include photos and text. I'd also like to include CD sleeves on every other page or so. Not sure how that would work, though. I imagine it could mess up the binding over time, so that's something I'd probably either add myself or work around in some other way. Maximum of 2-3 copies.

So........suggestions?

2. drstrong

I'm Back.

You could check Amazon's publishing, it's about a "self" as you can get, really.

3. SC Wood

Glad I found this thread.

4. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

The CeltX mobile app is a godsend. I highly recommend any aspiring screenwriters check this out.

5. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

My wife and I just started a website for people to share things they have created. We will be mostly focusing on writing , but are more than open to photography, painting, video, really art of any kind is welcome.
    Our hook, because of course you have to have one, is that we will be putting out awesome full color, hardcover, quarterlies featuring a curated selection of the pieces we receive. We also have a few graphic designers lined up to do short run posters based on some of our favorite submissions.
    We would love for everyone to check out the site, submit things, share it with friends and family who may be interested. All of our social media links can be found at the site. Thanks!
    www.bearflagwritingcompany.com
    [​IMG]

6. lish

Perpetually Cold Prestigious

Scrivener for iOS = :heart:

7. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Would love to visit, link doesn't take me anywhere though?

8. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

Sorry , was having some domain trouble earlier, should be up and running now! Thanks for checking it out, we should have our first batch of content up soon.

9. partyscene

my holy ghost is hovering over me

I'm writing my first book right now, it is a fantasy book although I don't want to claim that the idea is original, I love the things about angels, first human, and something like that, just like the book of Genesis. Not a religious person myself, but I found that the story about that really compelling. The problem is I can't really work with a well structured concept, I've made a few characters, place, and even already got the major storyboard planned, but when I started to work on the writing, I've lost the grip and started to wrote what was on my imagination instead.

Glad I found this thread.

10. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I'm not a writer (besides writing for business/academic purposes) but I do consume an unhealthy amount of fantasy books/audiobooks, so if you're looking for someone to read some stuff occasionally I'd be glad to help.

11. lish

I'm starting the outlining/planning process for NaNo this year... November is going to get here so quickly.

I'm scared. D:

12. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

Man I struggle with NaPo, I don't know how you novelists do NaNo. Kudos.

13. lish

Lol. I don't know how people do it either. I'm 0/7

heartbeatsbrain likes this.
  14. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

Well good luck on this one, maybe this will be your year.

lish likes this.
  15. lish

Fingers crossed! :)

heartbeatsbrain likes this.
  16. DoseofTerror

Regular

Thinking of getting back into long form writing, but I can't get away from first person, present tense. I know that's not a desired form of narrative, but it comes easiest to me and I like the ability to get into the character's head in real time.

17. lish

Found this. Low stakes, but looks fun!

[​IMG]

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I once wrote a story in second person just to see how itd go and it ended up being one of my all time favorite writing experiences. Challenging but definitely rewarding. Id try something like that out!

19. DoseofTerror

Regular

Whenever I try to write in third person, past, it feels like I'm writing a "check list" of sorts. I don't know how to explain it, but I don't like recounting the events, even if the events were 5 seconds prior to the narrative.

I have a few short stories that take place in first person, present, that have had mixed critiques; but I think it just comes down to taste.

20. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I say I will every year and don't. I'd like to try again this year but with moving in December and my classes and two jobs it's unlikely. Thankfully one class requires me to have a full screenplay done so I'll have one project started. I'm gonna revisit my pilot here soon as well. Lots of work. Getting back in the swing of things.

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

hmmm. i see what you mean. Maybe try third-person limited. I find it to be closest to first-person, delegating the narration only to a single character's thoughts and feelings about the world as it happens around him/her

22. DoseofTerror

Regular

Yea ok, that makes sense; I've never tried to write in that way but it seems easy enough. All I need to do is basically swap out "I" for the character's name.

23. partyscene

my holy ghost is hovering over me

I'd love to show it to you, but I write it in Bahasa Indonesia so it'll take some time to translate it in English, really appreciate it that you care.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  24. Defining-Your-Goals.png

For anyone interested I published this on my blog and Medium earlier this week.

These are the questions I answered for my friend Josh (Prowl Media) that gave me clarity on what my goals are and how I plan to achieve them. I recommend writing out these questions and answering them for yourself as well. Its a good exercise!
    1. What are you most passionate about?
    2. What is your one goal?
    3. What are you doing to achieve your goals?
    4. If you aren’t where you want to be how are you getting there?
    5. What advice do you have for others who are also pursuing their passion?
    Reply with your answers if you'd like. I am interested to know what everyone in this thread is working towards! :-)

25. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Thinking of trying NaNo this year, never done it before and it should be next to impossible to hit 50k words considering I'm a student, but I've been writing next to nothing lately and I think I need the challenge.

ianebaldwin likes this.