Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 35

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Thanks friends. Now I need your thoughts on the title. Desperately questioning myself here lol. I'm stuck between the two:

The Mystic Orchards

or
    Mystic Orchards

which would you prefer for a poetry collection?

2. Using the article makes it feel more like a fantasy sequence. I like they simplicity of the latter for a poetry collection.

Congrats on getting the collection accepted somewhere! I know how long you've been looking for a home for them, and I couldn't be happier for you now that you did!

OotyPa likes this.
  3. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

BRUH

..’mystic are the orchards’.

AgonizingFir, a_cuppa_joe and OotyPa like this.
  4. stonecoldnimrod

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

no article

OotyPa and Aaron Mook like this.
  6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

There’s no article now. Just Mystic Orchards. In fact, I’ve removed most of the articles from the poems themselves and they sound a million times better now haha

a_cuppa_joe and theagentcoma like this.
  7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

agreed about Mystic Orchards, gives me much more of an anthology feel whereas adding 'the' feels more like a novel title

OotyPa and Aaron Mook like this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Unrelated but a new poem of mine dropped (not part of the manuscript), published by the lovely Moonstone Arts. Wanted to share here B-)

9. stonecoldnimrod

yous guys are alright.

36D4C4CD-3318-4779-B446-0C73128442BF.jpeg

jcv8481.wordpress.com

Garrett and theagentcoma like this.
  10. theagentcoma

Where does everyone keep their writing/storage?

I was just notified that the organization that manages my google account cut my storage to 10 GB, which is nothing. Consequently I can't even edit my google docs which is where I do all my writing. Looking for a better option. About to go buy a flash drive tbh

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I use word and save it on my computer :shrug: I’ve heard good things about other things/apps/whatever you call it but I just don’t want to rely on anything other than myself to protect my art.

danielm123 likes this.
  12. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

I recently had an essay published at 68to05, focusing on the 2001 album Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes by Propagandhi.

The site's run by Hanif Abdurraqib, one of my favorite contemporary writers, so it's a huge honor to contribute. also, as someone whose writing normally circulates in alt-weeklies in my area, this is one of the bigger outlets to feature my work.

13. stonecoldnimrod

14. Iago

forbidden chalice.

stonecoldnimrod likes this.
  15. stonecoldnimrod

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. stonecoldnimrod

i tend to do alot of my writing on my iphone. have everything saved on my notes app. then post on my blog.

17. theagentcoma

I'm using a free trial of Scrivener and boy oh boy is it useful for organization and outlining

18. stonecoldnimrod

19. theagentcoma

plodding through the second draft doing self edits. how's everyone's projects going?

20. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

10 poems down, 90 to go in my second collection

theagentcoma and angrycandy like this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Not great. Haven’t touched the WIP in weeks since I hit about 50 pages. My job is experiencing a reorg and I’m getting laid off—today, actually—so I’ve been frantically applying to jobs (anyone know of any writing/editing jobs?). But I’ve also been super busy with summer plans.

I still have the poetry collection coming out this october, but it’s mostly just waiting till then. Haven’t had any acceptances on things on submission.

It’s been really quiet for me creatively, which sort of hurts my soul.

22. theagentcoma

F dude, I'm sorry. Hell of a time to ask for an update. I know the feeling of the frantic job hunt. What is it that you did at your current job?

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

tech writer--at WePay, a company owned by JPMorgan Chase.

it sucks but the whole company had MAJOR structural issues and confusion+dysfunction at every level. glad to be out, but of course it stings not getting a paycheck.

please keep an eye out if you see anything. and of course, if anyone needs a professional editor for their manuscript or something, I'll charge a very fair rate :)

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. stonecoldnimrod

theagentcoma likes this.
  25. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious