Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 33

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

-sunni-

refuse to accept
    your self doubt has cemented
    into permanence.

2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I've been straight struggling with my draft. I have 5 main POVs and I completed the 3rd draft for one of them, been working on it for several months. I've been meaning to pivot to the next POV but I haven't touched it in over a year and it's like starting all over again lol. Did have a little breakthrough the other day, but I have definitely ground to a halt recently.

OotyPa likes this.
  3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Managing writing multiple POV's is very tough. But also makes for a fun read. Something I'm trying to do (my current project also has multiple POV's and interweaving plots) is just writing whatever I'm currently in the mood for. It's too hard to force myself into a POV I'm not currently "vibing" with, if that makes sense.

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. stonecoldnimrod

5. Iago

forbidden chalice.

aspeedomodel and Doomsday like this.
  6. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

That is really great, it feels dreadful and pretty and flows very easy and natural. I think the lines

are especially poignant, and something I would've loved to have thought of myself

Iago likes this.
  7. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I'm going on a posting tear tonight because I decided to drink 3 cups of coffee and have nobody to talk to, so... here's some of my writing.

8. Iago

forbidden chalice.

This section is my favorite. I'm a huge fan of when rhymes connect in almost a cause and effect manner; being deaf to the cheerful wishes of the children only to miss it during the silence as they're at rest is beautifully tragic. You could also read as though you're crying tears of joy, moved by how they were able to produce those kind tunes at all, admiring them as they innocently sleep.

Doomsday likes this.
  9. stonecoldnimrod

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Thought I'd share a new publication here.

This was a wonderful and weird collaboration with a local Philly poet. A tribute to ambient music pioneer Hiroshi Yoshimura (RIP), a nine-part poem that begins at the end and ends at the beginning [​IMG] Published today by Animal Heart Press and FERAL Journal.

Selections from the Dead Letter Office | Jonathan Koven & Adam Gianforcaro

11. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Two unfinished pieces, both relating to my previous entry on this thread. They're from a project called Being Kind To Strangers, which are songs about growing up, reflection, and healing. Since they're written to be songs, I still have a bit more to write on each piece before I can view them as complete, but I like how they are right now as poems.

12. stonecoldnimrod

theagentcoma likes this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Anyone here crazy enough to do NaNoWriMo this year? I’m planning on it

14. I'm doing it with my students. Expectations are low, but we will enjoy a pizza party for our efforts come the end of the month! :)

Iago and OotyPa like this.
  15. theagentcoma

I've never done it in my life, but I think I'm going to use the opportunity as a jumping off point for a routine. I would like to begin each day writing before work and possibly do some before bed every night. Having a baby has disrupted everything (for the best, mind you) and I need to find some semblance of a routine.

16. Iago

forbidden chalice.

i dont think i could write a novel, but the idea does sound fun. i might give it a shot when november comes around if i'm in the mood!

also, here's a short stanza for today

17. stonecoldnimrod

18. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow. I'm both nervous and excited as it's my first time. Anything over 20K words will be a success in my eyes. Got a real solid chunk outlined out and will try and do some more last minute outlining tonight, so I think I'll have enough material to work from for a month.

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

Yeah I'm already nervous. Honestly if I sit down and get 500 words a day done, I'll be happy. My production has been zero for months.

OotyPa likes this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

We got this. I think the best and most simple advice I’ve seen is to just do it. Don’t get caught up in negative thoughts or concerns—just suck it up and do it. Commitment will make the biggest difference.

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. Iago

forbidden chalice.

22. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I’ve completed NaNo twice and “failed” eight or nine. Best advice is to just un-block the best you can and just let a lot of very bad words fall on the page. Some good ones will definitely show up in the process.

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. theagentcoma

How's everyone doing? My goal was to basically edit/rewrite the first draft of what I already have instead of starting something new. I know that's not technically the rules, sue me.

Managed at least 300 words a day for the past week which is a small goal but it's better than the previous two months of not writing at all.

24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I'm 2362 words in. Fell behind since I was away for a long weekend, but I'm putting in more time this week. I'm not hitting the traditional NaNo 1600 words/day goal, but any progress is real progress, and I think this story will probably end up closer to 35K anyway.

theagentcoma likes this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Pains me to say we’re halfway through the month. I’m just a bit over 5K words right now. I think/hope it’s going to get easier and many more words will come in the next two weeks—though Thanksgiving will probably set me behind again. Building a foundation early on is more of a mental challenge IMO; now it’s just about telling the actual story.

Also been a much busier time in my life than I’d anticipated, with getting a new job and such.

How’s everyone else doing (@theagentcoma)?

theagentcoma likes this.