Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Writing • Page 32

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Apr 7, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finally crafted my manuscript's table of contents for a certain contest per their guidelines and now I'm over here just admiring my titles, all neatly organized in one place like this B-)

9D4BBD9D-BE62-4260-B704-F6E821106CD9.jpeg

2. stonecoldnimrod

roamer. wanderer. nomad. vagabond.

3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Just wrapped up the third draft of one of the five main POVs in my fantasy novel at 49k words. I've already split the original outline in half and even before the recent changes, it was sitting at around 120k words. I'm trying to keep it at a manageable word count, but then again if I self-publish it won't matter as much.

Anyways, onto the next POV - an alcoholic street brawler who fights to protect his friends from being captured and forced into labor camps.

Garrett and OotyPa like this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Congrats on the progress! Sounds sprawling in a good way!

Been shaping an outline on the website PlotFactory, for my next long fiction work which also has multiple POV’s. I’ve never been this thorough when organizing a plot for a story. Usually I do some combo of planning and writing as I go along, but this feels like a much bigger story of a family with weaving arcs and themes between each POV. Kinda stressful and feels like productive procrastination to outline it all, but it also feels good knowing I’ll have a blueprint once I’m comfortable enough to start writing.

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Productive procrastination, so that's the phrase for what I'm so good at lol

I need to check this site out!

OotyPa likes this.
  6. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

It's been very helpful for me thus far!

Online Story Planner

7. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

Might have to make use of this. I unfortunately lost all of the progress I made on this one idea I've been chipping away at since ~2018ish because my computer shit the bed and I wasn't able to salvage anything from my old hard drive. That, and I stupidly let a post from 2020 that basically said "if you don't come out of quarantine with a new skill learned or a finished product you're essentially worthless" kill my motivation for way too long.

OotyPa likes this.
  8. Does screenwriting count? 2/3 of the way done with my short film script...just trying to nail down the ending. It's been so long since I wrote anything for enjoyment (the last job I had was content writing for a marketing agency, so it really sucked the fun out of sitting in front of a computer for me), but I'd like to write more both for this site and for myself.

9. stonecoldnimrod Jun 29, 2022
    (Last edited: Jul 1, 2022)
    stonecoldnimrod

theagentcoma and OotyPa like this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

11. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Recently, my as-of-yet unpublished collection The Mystic Orchards was a runner-up for a poetry competition. Though it wasn’t chosen, I was asked to publish a new poem alongside an interview. In this issue of Animal Heart Press’ FERAL, I speak a little about how poetry resembles prayer, how to blur the lines of fiction and poetry, and how The Mystic Orchards came to be. I also share a poem (not from the manuscript—this one’s even newer) about Meteora, Greece, a beautiful site my wife and I traveled to while on our honeymoon. Check it all out below:

Author Feature – Jonathan Koven – FERAL: A Journal of Poetry and Art

awakeohsleeper and theagentcoma like this.
  12. stonecoldnimrod

much appreciated. current texan unhappy with the supreme court rn.

OotyPa and theagentcoma like this.
  13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

New poem published in an anthology. Check it below :down:

14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Recently been writing some poetry again after taking a few years off (mostly doing visual art). Anyone know any resources/lists of websites or mags i can submit to? Can't even remember what site I used to use.

stonecoldnimrod likes this.
  15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Get a Submittable account and search around. Really easy to use. Most publications actually host their portals there (or on Duotrope) and you’ll need an account to use it.

16. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

duotrope was what I used to use! I’ll get on that. Thanks

17. stonecoldnimrod

FRESH MEAT! welcome, or welcome back.

theagentcoma and I Am Mick like this.
  18. :bang:Shameless plug alert:bang:

I've been published! First time ever. The anthology is second person present horror, and my story is called "Another You." You can find it here!

19. Congrats!! Excited to read!

a_cuppa_joe likes this.
  20. stonecoldnimrod

aspeedomodel and theagentcoma like this.
  21. stonecoldnimrod

22. stonecoldnimrod Aug 23, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 25, 2022)
    stonecoldnimrod

OotyPa likes this.
  23. Iago Aug 27, 2022
    (Last edited: Aug 29, 2022)
    Iago

forbidden chalice.

Acoustic Interlude Version

OotyPa, stonecoldnimrod and Garrett like this.
  24. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

This is....so good. Really hit me. Great work.

Iago and theagentcoma like this.
  25. Iago

forbidden chalice.

thank you!!! that means a whole lot! it was written as an acoustic interlude, but i think it stands strong enough on its own to be posted here. i edited with the demo version for anyone who wants to hear it that way (: